PDA

View Full Version : just wondering *grins*

brandy
05-Apr-07, 10:40
ok not trying to start a debate but not bothered either.. *laughs*
this dosent really bother me, but have noticed in several posts latley that anything bad that happens over here.. or anything derogetory.. is usually because of "our american cousins across the pond"
it seems that everything starts out in america.. and it transferred across! *winks*
ive never ever hear.. its those aussies fault.. or those darn germans and their bad habbits.. or how dare spain be so uncouth.. and what about the french.. its because of them that our youth.... ect ..ect.. ect..
im just waititng for teh end of the world.. and the few if any survivors.. yup.. those dang americans.. they did it.. they started the whole anti-christ thing.. them and that George W... wait wait.. george W? hmmm they may have a point there!
looks fowards to the elections.. no more bush no more bush.. wait wait sorry got off subject there for a min..
anywho..... lets have a lets blame america for everything day! *G*

Royster1911
05-Apr-07, 10:57
Was it not the Americans who are to blame for Asda not being accepted in Thurso? If they had the foresight NOT to apply for planning permission, we would not be in the position we are in now.:lol:

johno
05-Apr-07, 11:05
this dosent really bother me, but have noticed in several posts latley that anything bad that happens over here.. or anything derogetory.. is usually because of "our american cousins across the pond"
it seems that everything starts out in america.. and it transferred across! *winks*
ive never ever hear.. its those aussies fault.. or those darn germans and their bad habbits.. or how dare spain be so uncouth.. and what about the french.. its because of them that our youth.... ect ..ect.. ect..
im just waititng for teh end of the world.. and the few if any survivors.. yup.. those dang americans.. they did it.. they started the whole anti-christ thing.. them and that George W... wait wait.. george W? hmmm they may have a point there!
looks fowards to the elections.. no more bush no more bush.. wait wait sorry got off subject there for a min..
sorry i have to disagree with you there Brandy. America is our best friend , of that i have no doubt . We may not like Bush that much but the peoples of the usa & the uk will always have a speical bond.

the nomad
05-Apr-07, 11:05

It's not all bad though:

American beer is and I recommend a Roast Turkey leg from Universal Studios, yum yum

Having been to Florida we could learn a lot about what being polite and what queuing means.

Americans can go to sports events and have a beer and hot dog without having to have a good punch up afterwards, or during game.

Criminals are punished more effectively.

No matter how you look at it they are our friends and greatest allies.

It's an interesting thread Brandy but perhaps if people really loled around at what the real problems are then they would see America and Americans in a different light, nobody is perfect and I'm sure they have a few things to say about us Brits.:D

Angela
05-Apr-07, 11:41
I've only once been to America, brandy, to California, for work basically.

My impression was that some things were much better than here - especially the standards of service in restaurants and cafes. Polite, attentive staff, glasses of iced water brought straight to your table when you arrived, excellent coffee with free top-ups. Very good food, lovely delis! In general, much more professional.

Excellent accommodation, spotlessly clean, big comfy beds! Much better than you would usually get here at a similar (mid-range) price.

Sometimes a bit difficult to find anything that wasn't giant sized though - in the local (vast, 24 hr) supermarket, everything seemed destined to go straight into an enormous freezer....and by the time I came home, yes, there was quite a bit more of me as well :roll: :lol:

Rheghead
05-Apr-07, 12:07
American beer is and I recommend a Roast Turkey leg from Universal Studios, yum yum

I think American beer is ok, Bud is nice but you can't beat a drop of English real ale.

As for the roast turkey leg from Universal studios, yuk, I had to throw mine in the bin, it was the toughest piece of meat I've ever had.:D

I agree fully with your other comments I might add.

the charlatans
05-Apr-07, 12:20

i'm blaming america for making my packet of curtain hooks go missing after me moving house. i knew exactly where they were before we moved. now i want them. nope they've gone. i'm curtainless.

so its america's fault. thanks Brandy, glad i got that off my chest.

oh and its a bit cold today, can i blame America for that too?

Rheghead
05-Apr-07, 12:25
i'm blaming america for making my packet of curtain hooks go missing after me moving house.

Perhaps you dropped them? Never-the-less, perhaps we can bring america to its knees by asking them to look for them on all fours?

North Rhins
05-Apr-07, 17:55
I’ve never been to the USA, I have relatives out there who, generally, have a good quality of life but nevertheless have concerns as we all have.
I have worked alongside Americans in some of our now more unfriendly parts of the world. I must say that their generosity, although at times a bit overpowering, was genuine and heartfelt.
As for Budweiser, I saw it once described as a, ‘hangover in a bottle.’

Julia
05-Apr-07, 18:49
Slightly off topic but did anyone catch Louis Theroux last night, he was staying with America's most hated family - they believed in God, had their own church, and spent a lot of their time picketing funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq, their theory being that if you are killed then you must of done something to deserve it, i.e god's way of taking you out! They had signs saying stuff like 'thank god for 9/11', it was horrendous. Their 21 year old daughter said her parents would be happy if she was killed in a car crash as that would mean she had deserved to die! Worse still they had little kiddies helping them on these rallies, they were so young they clearly had no understanding of what the words even meant.

They spend about $200,000 a year on flights to funerals. They all have mainstream jobs and have to give 10% of their wage to the 'church' to fund their 'alternative' entertainment/beliefs.

Not quiet sure how Louis contained himself, I'd of rammed their banners sideways somewhere painful.

Sporran
05-Apr-07, 19:35
I think American beer is ok, Bud is nice but you can't beat a drop of English real ale.

As for the roast turkey leg from Universal studios, yuk, I had to throw mine in the bin, it was the toughest piece of meat I've ever had.:D

American Budweiser isn't that great, but the original Czech one is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar)

My husband is American, and never was impressed with the "Bud" over here. When we lived in the US in the 80s, there really wasn't much choice beyond Bud and Miller beers. Coors was a fairly good one, but it was only distributed in certain parts of the US. Just a handful of imports like Heineken and Beck's were available. Things got better when the Boston Brewing Company introduced Samuel Adams Boston Lager in 1985, It became so popular, that it inspired other small brewers, and by 1995, there was a great increase in microbreweries and brewpubs all over the country.

My husband and I spent nearly all of the 90s and more in Continental Europe, and as you can imagine, we developed a taste for some of the amazing beers over there. We were pleasantly surprised, upon our return to the US in 2004, that the choice and quality of beer had vastly improved here, since we first left in 1991! One of my fave brands is Saranac, from the beautiful Adirondacks region of New York State. Like the Samuel Adams brand, they produce many different varieties of beers, some of which are seasonal. Their European style ones are really good.

As for roast turkey leg from Univeral Studios, are you pulling *my* leg on that one, lol?!?! I've never heard of that one over here! :lol:

The US brand I would recommend when it comes to frozen turkey, is Butterball. Their turkeys are self-basting, and are always juicy and tender.

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_canvas.jsp?includePage=story_home.jsp&t=The%20Butterball%20Story&s0=about&s1 (http://www.butterball.com/en/main_canvas.jsp?includePage=story_home.jsp&t=The%20Butterball%20Story&s0=about&s1)=

Slightly off topic but did anyone catch Louis Theroux last night, he was staying with America's most hated family - they believed in God, had their own church, and spent a lot of their time picketing funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq, their theory being that if you are killed then you must of done something to deserve it, i.e god's way of taking you out! They had signs saying stuff like 'thank god for 9/11', it was horrendous. Their 21 year old daughter said her parents would be happy if she was killed in a car crash as that would mean she had deserved to die! Worse still they had little kiddies helping them on these rallies, they were so young they clearly had no understanding of what the words even meant.

They spend about $200,000 a year on flights to funerals. They all have mainstream jobs and have to give 10% of their wage to the 'church' to fund their 'alternative' entertainment/beliefs.

Not quiet sure how Louis contained himself, I'd of rammed their banners sideways somewhere painful.

Julia, for goodness sake, the nutters you see on Louis Theroux's programme are not typical, everday Americans! I don't know where he finds them all, but they're certainly not the "average Joe's" over here!

Where that family gets $200,000 a year to spend on flights alone, bamboozles me. My husband is a professional with a university degree, and our combined salaries don't even amount to half of that!

North Rhins
05-Apr-07, 19:57
Sporran do they still have a beer called 'Blue Ribbon.' I think thats what they called it. I prefered it to Bud, less pain the following morning.

Sporran
05-Apr-07, 20:18
Sporran do they still have a beer called 'Blue Ribbon.' I think thats what they called it. I prefered it to Bud, less pain the following morning.

You must mean Pabst Blue Ribbon, North Rhins. I think it's still available - I'll check next time I'm in a supermarket.

stratman
05-Apr-07, 20:38

I thought we were to blame Tescos for everything now :lol:.

mareng
10-Apr-07, 06:10
You must mean Pabst Blue Ribbon, North Rhins. I think it's still available - I'll check next time I'm in a supermarket.

They won some award about a hundred years ago and still advertise that on the cans (as if it means the present beer must be as good)

It's much the same as all the other mainstream beers but for my nomination for the worst of the lot............. Hamms (now apparently brewed by.......Pabst)

http://www.beercollections.com/Breweries/Wisconsin/Hamm_Brewery.htm