PDA

View Full Version : mess on the moors

xcountry
20-Mar-15, 20:54
I Wonder how many people are on my side here. I was out and about the moors back of Ormlie when I noticed that there is evidence of rats and lots of rubbish. There was also human excrement. Rather disgusting wouldn't you agree?

I was speaking to a young lady last night who said it in conversation and I thought to have a look myself. When I saw the mess I was utterly disgusted. What concerns me is the rubbish which will attract rats, rats carry disease when there is disease, this causes illness which is then passed on and on until it works it way round a whole town. I did notice some caravans parked nearby but I cant see a "traveller or gypsy" causing that much mess as the term Travellers (Irish: an lucht siúil) also called pavees, tinkers or gypsies, are a traditionally itinerant ethnic group who maintain a set of traditions. I'm sure the traditions are not to leave the place looking like an abandoned Glastonbury festival, but to pay respect to the local community.

I have read a small article about the councils proposal for travellers on 20th May 2010. I have taken a small quote from it - Councillor Margaret Davidson, Chairman of The Highland Council's Housing and Social Work Committee said: "These policies set a balance between the rights of Gypsy/Travellers with the rights of the settled community. Travellers need to understand the needs of the communities and the local community needs to understand the requirements of travellers. I welcome and support the work that staff across all agencies are carrying out to support Gypsy/Travellers."

I often go to the moors with my partners child to catch frogs newts and let them explore something other than concrete and tarmac so they get muddy wet and covered in gutters, also it gets them away from a tv screen which is the way of life for kids these days. I live in fear if they went up there would the encounter a rat, stand in some human waste or worse even pick up something they shouldn't (i.e. dirty condoms needles etc).

So what do we do maybe a litter pick with the local community who use the moors, find the people responsible (I'm sure we wouldn't have to look far) and make them do it by good old chain gangs or simply let another bit of ground get worse by letting people dump rubbish there which will in turn cause people to fly tip and when they fly tip it gets worse causing more rats and more rubbish and before we know it this area will be called Ormlie landfill site.

I did hear of a family staying in caravans at Dunnet links and they left the place in a horrible mess - maybe its the same family, lets for arguments sake say it is, surely the council in all its infinite wisdom wouldn't let them set up a camp in Ormile and let them use the moors as a toilet. I for one was in the scouts and then the army and when I went for a "tomdit" in the woods I pulled some soil to one side did the "proverbial" and then covered it over. Even my pet cat can manage the simple task of using a litter tray which brings me to my next point. My cat has more human like skills than the people using the moors as a public restroom.

As for the rubbish in amongst the rubbish there was a lot of baby nappy's and baby food jars. There is a recycle yard 1.6 mile from here and that's a 40 min walk. Or a simple word with the scaffy boys on a Monday if they could throw a few black bags in the back which I'm sure they would be more than happy to oblige.

I'm also concerned about the number of baby items there. If they can't look after the environment I'm unsure of their natural ability to look after a child as I am sure cleaning up after yourself is natural as well.

I hope someone will agree with me as I could only imagine what it would be like to look at such a terrible mess out my kitchen window..................

sids
20-Mar-15, 21:32
Too long didn't read it.

xcountry
20-Mar-15, 22:11
My apologies. Would you like the audio version so you could perhaps listen to it or as a other option I could come read to you maybe over hot chocolate while I tuck you in, I could even stretch to making finger puppets and drawing a diagram even better I'll take you on the guided tour,, if it's to long to read please do not insult your own intelligence by telling everyone that it is two long to read

RIR
20-Mar-15, 23:38
I think the post about your post being too long to read referred to the (lack of) punctuation in yours.

Ian.

xcountry
20-Mar-15, 23:52
I think the point of the post is about people making a mess of the moors and noty punctuation which I'm sorry for I'm not gonna pretend I'm good at spelling just want people to back the point I made so hopefully we can sort it out

sids
21-Mar-15, 00:23
My apologies. Would you like the audio version so you could perhaps listen to it or as a other option I could come read to you maybe over hot chocolate while I tuck you in, I could even stretch to making finger puppets and drawing a diagram even better I'll take you on the guided tour,, if it's to long to read please do not insult your own intelligence by telling everyone that it is two long to read

Just get a grown-up to transcribe and edit it into something that people might read.

Dadie
21-Mar-15, 01:02
Mess on the moors is not a new thing.
The travellers may exasperate the problem.
As long as "drain waste" ie toilet waste and sink stuff is appropriately dealt with they dont exasperate the problem.
They are allowed to "Roam" ie sat up camp for a while then move on....and are supposed to leave the site as found or better if proper Romany ....if just travellers without rules ....grrrr they are vermin imho

rogermellie
21-Mar-15, 01:16
how do you know it's human waste ? presumably there's some used toilet roll nearby, these people aren't animals and surely must wipe their bum

the moors is regularly and literally (but not literally) shat on by the locals, never mind travellers

can't be bothered to pick up your dog poop ? ..... walk it in the moors
want to ride your unlicensed/uninsured/illegal pit bike without land owners permission ? .... ride it in the moors
want to dump your old furniture or carpets ? ..... take em to the moors

i've a lot of complaints about the moors, but none of them are about travellers

sids
21-Mar-15, 08:01
Keep to the road.

Stay off the moor.

muddywilli
21-Mar-15, 10:51
Well put my friend. Most just don't care about what they can't see. Most likely the ones that are more interested in punctuation of your post than the content and can't lift their backsides away from screens to venture out. All allowed our opinion.

xcountry
21-Mar-15, 11:16
Well there is toilet waste ie paper etc I'll take some pictures tonight and post upon here so you can see the issue

xcountry
21-Mar-15, 11:49
I also agree about pit bikes but the pros way out the cons on that one there is no where for the kids to use them so is it not better for them to play up there out of the way not endangering people's life's by using them in the street it's a tough one that I would say the old driving range should be opened to them with a set of rules ie stop at 8 at night where helmets and provide a bin to put rubbish in that way kids can play get off compiter and stay out of trouble

RIR
21-Mar-15, 13:30
Well there is toilet waste ie paper etc I'll take some pictures tonight and post upon here so you can see the tissue

Fixed that for you..... :)

neilsermk1
23-Mar-15, 13:43
Just get a grown-up to transcribe and edit it into something that people might read.Sids, thats not worthy of you. The guy is trying to make a worthwhile point. Its our environment and we should protect it. We do not need to get the grammar and spelling police involved, just get off our collective butts and do something about it. I do not care fabout anyones lifestyle choices, no one has the right to destroy our amentity in this manner, and they should be brought to book.