PDA

View Full Version : Backgoing Gigs

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Apr-07, 02:35
Hey Everyone,

We've got a few gigs in the Thurso area coming up soon. We'll also have a couple of special guests supporting, too. Hope you can all make it along. The venues and dates are as follows:

Rod & Line (support from The Blonde Brothers)
Aug 1, 1984

The Marine Inn - switched from original venue, Stardust (support from Home & Beyond)
Aug 2, 1986

Moonshine Rock Bar (support from Vitriola and Barracuda)
Aug 3, 1990

Aftershow parties will all be held at Stevie's Bar, c/o Chinese Restaurant, Brabster Street; then onto Flicks (we'll be playing an acoustic set downstairs in Features). However, if the hot summer weather keeps up, we might move it to the Bandstand in Sir John's Square. The U.S. base will have a hot dog stand set up, and perennial Scottish Breakdance champions, the Egyptian Warriors, will be the half-time entertainment. There will also be a petition campaigning against the possible pedestrianization of the High Street made available. Please sign.

All gigs sponsored by Vista Video, D&C Gordon Butchers, Bottom Joes, and Danny Craig's Ice-Cream shop respectively.

K dragon
05-Apr-07, 02:52
stuck in the past or summat mr fizzy drink?

clash67
05-Apr-07, 12:02
Hey Everyone,

We've got a few gigs in the Thurso area coming up soon. We'll also have a couple of special guests supporting, too. Hope you can all make it along. The venues and dates are as follows:

Rod & Line (support from The Blonde Brothers)
Aug 1, 1984

The Marine Inn - switched from original venue, Stardust (support from Home & Beyond)
Aug 2, 1986

Moonshine Rock Bar (support from Vitriola and Barracuda)
Aug 3, 1990

Aftershow parties will all be held at Stevie's Bar, c/o Chinese Restaurant, Brabster Street; then onto Flicks (we'll be playing an acoustic set downstairs in Features). However, if the hot summer weather keeps up, we might move it to the Bandstand in Sir John's Square. The U.S. base will have a hot dog stand set up, and perennial Scottish Breakdance champions, the Egyptian Warriors, will be the half-time entertainment. There will also be a petition campaigning against the possible pedestrianization of the High Street made available. Please sign.

All gigs sponsored by Vista Video, D&C Gordon Butchers, Bottom Joes, and Danny Craig's Ice-Cream shop respectively.

Lol ... simply brilliant, the good ole days. :lol:

K dragon
05-Apr-07, 13:03
just out of curiosity when did the marine inn actually shut down?

zebedy
05-Apr-07, 13:08
dunno, but it has been bought over by the surfer crew!?!?!

what a perfect place for surfers!
and maby one day there shall be gigs in there again!

K dragon
05-Apr-07, 13:44
hope so. i had heard someone bought it, didnt know it was surfers though it is a prime building, a lot of work to do on the inside but its certainly a great building with many possibilities.

Chobbersjnr
05-Apr-07, 14:08
I've got amemory of picking up a simms watt PA out of there with my cousin & that must have been mid 80s......couldn't have been long before it shut

& backgoing gigs how's about J Fats' Incredible expanding headband

22nd August 1993...................Fats had his 49th & we played for 8 hours..in fact the 1st 8 hour gig I was ever part of

Jeemag_USA
05-Apr-07, 22:03
HA HA I had to a double take on that and was saying WTF!!!!! The Rod and Line shut down years ago, and then when I saw Moonshine Rock Bar the penny dropped he he he [lol]

Surely we didn't have a petition to not pedestrianise the High Street, or did I read it wrong, best thing the council ever did! Plus you could then breakdance without getting hit by a highland bus!

Nobody playing at The Orange Room this week then, what about The Viking Lounge ;)

Deemac
05-Apr-07, 23:36
Not forgetting the Coral Lounge Bar!!

One of my first ever Thurso live music experiences was seeing Z-Rox playing there. The floor was so dodgy that the whole PA and lighting rig bounced along with all the headbanging punters!! Worse even than the circle in the Apollo in Glasgow at a Motorhead gig!!!!!

Wow, what a memory trip.:Razz

Great post Pepsi.

Jeemag_USA
05-Apr-07, 23:39
Not forgetting the Coral Lounge Bar!!

One of my first ever Thurso live music experiences was seeing Z-Rox playing there. The floor was so dodgy that the whole PA and lighting rig bounced along with all the headbanging punters!! Worse even than the circle in the Apollo in Glasgow at a Motorhead gig!!!!!

Wow, what a memory trip.:Razz

Great post Pepsi.

Now are we talking Coral Lounge as in once the Sheiling and also One Up? I remember the Coral name, was that the right location. And I do remember gigs there and that floor did move a lot! And I have witnessed them from below in the Comm [lol] I think I also saw Z-Rox there too.

zebedy
05-Apr-07, 23:44
22nd August 1993...................Fats had his 49th & we played for 8 hours..in fact the 1st 8 hour gig I was ever part of

just wondering chobbers, how long u planning this sunday!
*cringes*

Deemac
05-Apr-07, 23:51
The one and the very same Jeemag. In fact you may be right, the Z-Rox incident may have been in the "Sheiling" variation not the Coral (I stand corrected - AGAIN!!).

I do believe that someone eventually almost fell thought the floor into the Comm, and that the only thing that saved them was the carpet!!! Can you imagine - in the middle of your pool game, down drops a poor punter . . . .:eek:

Some of these old names bring back so many memories.

In fact - Whisky the group was born from the old folk club that ran in the Coral for a few years every Tuesday.

Deemac
05-Apr-07, 23:53
just wondering chobbers, how long u planning this sunday!
*cringes*

Zebedy,
16 hours I hope!!! All in 7/8 time as well!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Jeemag_USA
06-Apr-07, 00:03
The one and the very same Jeemag. In fact you may be right, the Z-Rox incident may have been in the "Sheiling" variation not the Coral (I stand corrected - AGAIN!!).

I do believe that someone eventually almost fell thought the floor into the Comm, and that the only thing that saved them was the carpet!!! Can you imagine - in the middle of your pool game, down drops a poor punter . . . .

Some of these old names bring back so many memories.

In fact - Whisky the group was born from the old folk club that ran in the Coral for a few years every Tuesday.

I think your right because I remember one time the floor had to be re inforced. I think the Z-Rox gig was not in the Shieling because I woudl have been too young to get in, I think it was not long after it changed hands becuase I was then on the cusp of getting into these places somewhat illegally :Razz I seem to remember a lot of razamatazz, lights and smoke at a Z-Rox gig, I definately remember seeing them live. I also remember spending way too much time in the One Up being friends of the owners sons and I am sure Clash67 can talk about that, seeing as Sean Gordon had the keys and there has been quite a few nights bored out of our skulls having watched Cheech and Chong's up in smoke for the 563rd time we would venture down at 3 in the morning and make up stupid cocktails of all the top shelf drinks and open up the pool table HA H AHA HA [lol]

zebedy
06-Apr-07, 00:04
*falls to knees*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

16 hours i could only try but
7/8?

im gunna start crying now of the thought

Jeemag_USA
06-Apr-07, 00:06
Also remember a million lock ins in the Orange Room thanks to my good buddy Nods, and also in the Newmarket thanks to his bro Billy. Great times indeed!

Deemac
06-Apr-07, 00:13
*falls to knees*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

16 hours i could only try but
7/8?

im gunna start crying now of the thought

Zebedy,
You'll have a great time - relax. Chobbers will cover most of it with a 12 hour drum solo, Gleber the rest with a 4 hour Grateful Dead tribute - this is how Jerry G. would do a solo on Smoke up the . . . . . .:cool: Just keep him off the fiddle for god's sake!!

Gleber2
06-Apr-07, 02:41
Zebedy,
You'll have a great time - relax. Chobbers will cover most of it with a 12 hour drum solo, Gleber the rest with a 4 hour Grateful Dead tribute - this is how Jerry G. would do a solo on Smoke up the . . . . . .:cool: Just keep him off the fiddle for god's sake!!
Wot's wrong with my fiddle playing?????[evil]

Deemac
06-Apr-07, 11:00
Wot's wrong with my fiddle playing?????[evil]

Nothing at all . . . . Its just . . . .err - unique!! in a class of it's own.

See - Bleached Parrot/Chateau Plastique (1986) as a fine example - pure genius . . . . . for that matter your keyboard/synth playing skills are up there with the fiddle playing.:)

Jeemag_USA
06-Apr-07, 18:24
Nothing like a bit of "The Devil went down to Georgmas" [lol]