PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to start a war, but -- really ?

David Banks
19-Mar-15, 17:31
I have just read that a New Archive Centre for nuclear records is planned for . . . Wick.

Is it just me who thinks Thurso deserves a little more consideration as the most logical location for such records ?

PantsMAN
19-Mar-15, 18:16
Aye,
Probably just you, move along now. :D

sids
19-Mar-15, 18:49
They should certainly heed the opinions from Nova Scotia, in making any such decision.

smithp
19-Mar-15, 20:26
They were going to put it in Thurso but as Wick is before Thurso in the alphabet Wick won out....I ill b appl ying fer a jobe int decords detp as spoon as tit oopens.

Kevin Milkins
19-Mar-15, 23:27
I expected some fallout over this decision.

David Banks
20-Mar-15, 07:49
I didn't realise that Thurso was slated for de-commissioning.

fender
20-Mar-15, 20:05
Land available, close to the airport. A no brainer.

David Banks
21-Mar-15, 17:09
I was trying to elicit details of discussions of this proposed expenditure.
If my approach sounded like trolling, I apologise. New construction and new employment is great for Caithness.

1. If the nuclear records in question concern several sites around the country, then all I would have to say would be congratulations to the people who campaigned to have them centralised in Wick.

2. If the nuclear records are mainly or exclusively concerned with activities at Dounreay, then I would hope there has been a reasonable local discussion about where these should be kept. I would have thought that Wick, Thurso and maybe even Reay or Dounreay would have received consideration.

Would anyone care to enlighten those of us who are not able to keep up with local news?

BetterTogether
21-Mar-15, 18:16
Considering the realities of the situation, I can't see it makes an awful lot of difference if records are kept in Wick or Thurso. What may be a consideration is not wanting to keep records close by the a nuclear site but a safe distance from the establishment.

Colin Manson
21-Mar-15, 18:38
Would anyone care to enlighten those of us who are not able to keep up with local news?

The building is going to be the 'National Nuclear Archive'

BetterTogether
21-Mar-15, 20:20
Well I'd expect all members of the SNP and Greens to resist this with every ounce of strength they have or else it makes a mockery of their anti nuclear stance.

Surely being politically motivated to get rid of nuclear and having anything to do with the Nuclear Industry is rank hypocrisy of the highest order.

Does make me wonder how many vociferous SNP/ Green supporters work within the nuclear industry within the area.

That is a statistic I'd love to see.

LMS
21-Mar-15, 21:25
Seeing as it is a national facility, it could've been built anywhere. It's in Caithness and that is all that matters. It would take longer to cross a city further south than it would to drive from Thurso to Wick.

sids
21-Mar-15, 21:47
Well I'd expect all members of the SNP and Greens to resist this with every ounce of strength they have or else it makes a mockery of their anti nuclear stance.

Surely being politically motivated to get rid of nuclear and having anything to do with the Nuclear Industry is rank hypocrisy of the highest order.

Does make me wonder how many vociferous SNP/ Green supporters work within the nuclear industry within the area.

That is a statistic I'd love to see.

How can someone be anti nuclear records?

gleeber
21-Mar-15, 22:18
How can someone be anti nuclear records?[lol]

I was surprised when I first heard they were building it in Wick. After all Thurso was known as the atomic town. I'm sure the usual consultancies were followed before it was decided to build it in Wick. Dounreay had a massive effect on Wick too although it pales into significance with the effect it had on Thurso. Wick has a lot happening just now. Good luck to it.

sids
21-Mar-15, 22:28
[lol]

I was surprised when I first heard they were building it in Wick. After all Thurso was known as the atomic town. I'm sure the usual consultancies were followed before it was decided to build it in Wick. Dounreay had a massive effect on Wick too although it pales into significance with the effect it had on Thurso. Wick has a lot happening just now. Good luck to it.

You're right. Putting it in Dounreay's company town would make sense.

gleeber
21-Mar-15, 22:35
To be honest the UKAEA owes Thurso something. They even pulled down Viewfirth. They had big plans for it's replacement but that's gone quiet since a while. I think they probably contribute to the running costs of Caithness Horizons. There's time yet.

cullpacket
21-Mar-15, 22:36
We are run by Wick the court the papers the council the hospital the police. Thurso is going to be a ghost town.

sids
21-Mar-15, 22:38
Thurso is going to be a ghost town.

The speed they're getting the jam factory cleared up, don't hold your breath.

sids
21-Mar-15, 22:41
To be honest the UKAEA owes Thurso something. They even pulled down Viewfirth. They had big plans for it's replacement but that's gone quiet since a while. I think they probably contribute to the running costs of Caithness Horizons. There's time yet.

The old Ukelele is a memory.

Look on the bright side: DSRL and the contracting firms are contributing to a large number of wage packets.

gleeber
21-Mar-15, 22:44
The old Ukelele is a memory.

Look on the bright side: DSRL and the contracting firms are contributing to a large number of wage packets.

For sure but its not going to last much more than 30 years.

sids
21-Mar-15, 23:41
For sure but its not going to last much more than 30 years.

No, things don't last forever. 1954 to 2024 would be 70 years. That's not bad going.

neilsermk1
23-Mar-15, 13:18
Considering the realities of the situation, I can't see it makes an awful lot of difference if records are kept in Wick or Thurso. What may be a consideration is not wanting to keep records close by the a nuclear site but a safe distance from the establishment. "A safe distance from the site" What colour is the sky on the planet where you live?