PDA

View Full Version : ebay seller "Doesn't post to Scottish Highlands"

dortmunder
18-Mar-15, 16:55
I've never seen that before but it was in red letters in the 'postage' section. From two different sellers. Odd that they're actually refusing business without even bothering to offer a 'higher postage' option.

Anyway, I was trying to buy new cushions/covers for cane conservatory furniture. Does anyone know of a seller?

starfish
18-Mar-15, 17:31
there is quite a few seller on ebay that do not post to scottish highland but they say they deliver to main land britian but try telling them the scottish highlands is mainland they just will not have it so they do not get my custom

guidinglight
18-Mar-15, 17:56
Try Local company.........

Phillip Mould Upholstery
11 Harbour Terrace
Wick KW1 5HB

01955-606801
wickcovers@btinternet.com

facebook phillip mould upholstery

dortmunder
18-Mar-15, 22:51
Hadn't heard of him - thanks.

crashbandicoot1979
19-Mar-15, 10:47
Sellers like that are a pain but its the Courier companies faults for charging extra to deliver here! I did contact a seller once and ask if he would post by Royal Mail instead as a one off. He agreed, but I still couldn't bid on the auction as ebay recognised my postcode and told me I wasn't allowed!

Gronnuck
19-Mar-15, 11:56
I wonder how much of an outcry there would be if eBayers up here said, "Do not post to the Midlands or the South of England."

rs 2k
19-Mar-15, 12:10
China is at it aswell now :( I wanted this but cant :( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forever-In-My-Heart-Personalized-Memorial-Handwritten-Sympathy-Jewelry-Necklace-/271673467645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3f410022fd"http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&clk_rvr_id=799663597086&rmvSB=true

burstbucker
19-Mar-15, 13:39
This can show up on eBay site by default where there is an additional postage or courier fee to the Highlands. If you contact the seller they will let you know this additional cost and in most cases they will post to the Highlands.

Gronnuck
19-Mar-15, 20:39
This can show up on eBay site by default where there is an additional postage or courier fee to the Highlands. If you contact the seller they will let you know this additional cost and in most cases they will post to the Highlands.

Buyers should ask the vendor to use Royal Mail since the Universal Service Obligation applies. This means they are required to provide an affordable, uniform service across the whole of the UK.
I've always found a little internet browsing, shopping around, can often mean not having to pay extortionate shipping costs.

Mrs Sweetie
20-Mar-15, 10:18
I've used Philip Mould Upholstery and he does great work, can highly recommend him.

bananaman13
22-Mar-15, 23:50
I was going to bid on an item until I read this below:-

Delivery is by pallet for £90 via carrier to any uk Postcode except for Ireland, Islands and Scottish Highland postcodes. I can still deliver to you but the carrier has a surcharge for your areas. Sorry its how they work!

Dadie
23-Mar-15, 00:22
Yup its a sneaky one...
When I was looking for a kid cage (playpen/room divider) the postage was £19.99 for mainland GB so happlily bought it.......then the troubles started!
We are technically on the mainland ..that fought through Ebay (we won)
They then put it as out of stock and refunded the money and re advertised the next day as mainland GB to Aberdeen and Glasgow postcodes anything "north" was going to have surcharges of £50 ish.....and got away with it!

scorrie
23-Mar-15, 16:50
Sellers like that are a pain but its the Courier companies faults for charging extra to deliver here! I did contact a seller once and ask if he would post by Royal Mail instead as a one off. He agreed, but I still couldn't bid on the auction as ebay recognised my postcode and told me I wasn't allowed!

In that case the buyer can create an exception in order to let you bid on their item. There is an option in the Ebay auction tools that allows sellers to add a user's ID to a list that exempts them from the conditions that otherwise apply to the auction.

I have often done this to allow overseas users to bid on items I have listed as UK only because I either felt it impractical for those outwith the UK to bid, or to circumvent any potential region compatibility on computer games etc

Some sellers are flexible but sometimes they just won't cooperate.

It's just a fact that some items can't be carried by Parcel Force or The Royal Mail and some couriers charge extortionate rates. I had a hell of a job sending a parcel via Parcel Force on one occasion, as I was told the box measurements exceeded the maximum allowed. However, the box was from a TV I had had delivered, by none other than Parcel Force themselves and I argued that if it wasn't too big in one direction, it shouldn't be a problem going the other way. In the end the Post Office agreed to try to send the item but stated that Parcel Force might refuse it. The item was delivered without incident but I still can't understand how it was considered OK for the company to send it to me in the size of box in question, whereas I was told it exceeded the maximum dimensions.

It is sometimes worth looking about to see if the seller you are buying from are listed on Amazon. We recently went to buy a mattress topper from a website but were put off by the delivery charge. Looking on Amazon, we found the identical item from the same seller, but because they were on Amazon they were actually selling the item cheaper and with free delivery. We saved more than £40 on their website prices, so it was well worth a look around.