PDA

View Full Version : microwave problem

celtchicky
04-Apr-07, 17:55
hi wonder if anyone can help with a wee problem? :lol:
microwave is sparking when on due to slight wear on inside door surround. is there anything out there that could be put on to fix it or is it a case of dumping the thing?
would aprreciate help as it aint that old and not used much
cheers

johno
04-Apr-07, 17:59
microwave ovens are so cheap now that it,s not worth repairing. any way it would be safer just to dump the faulty one

emb123
04-Apr-07, 18:31
think you'll need to dump it.

sweetpea
04-Apr-07, 18:42
i had one that went 'bang' on me a few weeks ago, spectacular flash it gave too cause I had it on in the dark.:lol: but what a fright!!

peedie
05-Apr-07, 14:02
the paint on my microwave was starting to peel we had to get a new one as we were gettin fancy electrical storms whenever we cooked anything, dont think it can be fixed but we got one much cheapness from tesco in aberdeen :)

The_man_from_del_monte
05-Apr-07, 14:04
NEVER attempt to repair a microwave oven, these things can be highly dangerous if not operating within spec (ie: they can blind you) so get rid of it ASAP.

peedie
05-Apr-07, 14:08
:eek: eeek! didnt know that !!! good thing we replaced ours!!!!

The_man_from_del_monte
05-Apr-07, 14:25
:eek: eeek! didnt know that !!! good thing we replaced ours!!!!

Last thing you want is microwave radiation leaking out, always best to replace a faulty one (especially one that starts flashing) pronto!

Tony
06-Apr-07, 00:37
In the majority of cases it is cooking debris that has hardened and if the internal mica plate within the oven cavity is sparking the only cure for this is to replace the mica plate. This plate is usually located on the right side of the oven cavity and can be replaced easily and cheaply. If the door is the source and cleaning does not cure this or any rust is seen then replace the microwave but as was stated they are very cheap now.

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Apr-07, 00:45
In the majority of cases it is cooking debris that has hardened and if the internal mica plate within the oven cavity is sparking the only cure for this is to replace the mica plate. This plate is usually located on the right side of the oven cavity and can be replaced easily and cheaply. If the door is the source and cleaning does not cure this or any rust is seen then replace the microwave but as was stated they are very cheap now.

My royal "ass" that kind of misinformation / generalisation can be dangerous. Think EMF http://www.equilibra.uk.com/emfsbio.shtml I'd never recommend servicing your own microwave.

Tony
06-Apr-07, 00:51
Sorry your heiness but it is a fact cooking debris causes sparks.

Tony
06-Apr-07, 00:57
I agree 100% but replacing this plate (if needed) does not involve opening the microwave and so no danger.

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Apr-07, 01:00
Sorry your heiness but it is a fact cooking debris causes sparks.

It's also always a good idea to class a sparking Microwave as potentially "dangerous" it's not everyone who's as clever as us Tony ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Apr-07, 01:04
It's "highness" by the way...... just call me "Sir" ;)

caithnesslad
06-Apr-07, 01:11
Buy another one u tight lol... heard tesco's sell them cheap ;) haha

the nomad
06-Apr-07, 08:17
hi wonder if anyone can help with a wee problem? :lol:
microwave is sparking when on due to slight wear on inside door surround. is there anything out there that could be put on to fix it or is it a case of dumping the thing?
would aprreciate help as it aint that old and not used much
cheers

Bin it, it's getting very dodgy and they are dirt cheap now.

Ricco
06-Apr-07, 09:43
Definately chuck it - it is no longer safe to use. I have a spare one almost brand new that you can have.

celtchicky
06-Apr-07, 15:16
EXCUSE ME CAITHNESS LAD!!!!!

there aint an issue over buyin a new one, jus wondered if a could repair the one ive got. why buy a new one if it couldve been fixed. :lol:

PS am off to tescos now!!!! :lol:

EDDIE
06-Apr-07, 15:44
I agree microwave are so cheap these days its safer to just bin the old one and get a new one there is good deals in argos its worth considering getting a combo microwave that microwaves grills and is an oven you can pick that type up now for about £80 i bought one just for the reason if the oven breaks down i have the microwave oven as a back up until the oven is fixed.

emb123
07-Apr-07, 13:54
I agree microwave are so cheap these days its safer to just bin the old one and get a new one there is good deals in argos its worth considering getting a combo microwave that microwaves grills and is an oven you can pick that type up now for about £80 i bought one just for the reason if the oven breaks down i have the microwave oven as a back up until the oven is fixed.
I agree, if funds allow it's worth getting a combination oven, microwave & grill, they're brilliant. I use mine as an oven much more than the big cooker oven because it's a much smaller oven and if you're just doing a bit of baking or something small it makes sense to heat a smaller space.

The Sharp Carousel models were generally regarded as the best you could get although the older Panasonic Dimension range were excellent too. Worth bearing in mind that the new Panasonic Inverter models are much smaller and lighter because part of the work done by the magnetron (the bit that generates the microwaves) is done by an electronic PCB instead. However the Inverter models have a reputation for the Inverter packing up and if that happens the you'll need to get a new machine as it used to be possible to have the PCB repaired but nobody does it any more (last I heard) - basically they were beyond economic repair.

I would recommend against Hinari combination microwave & ovens from personal experience. The one I had was very poor as an oven and didn't go hot enough to bake certain things, by design, it was quirky in operation and couldn't do some of the things that my Panasonic one can and a short while after I sold mine it packed up. My mum bought one at the same time and hers is still working but she reckons her Moulinex one was much better.

EDDIE
08-Apr-07, 11:18
I have a delonghi combo microwave u can get them for about £80 in argos have had no problems with it.
I remember when microwave first came out in the eightys when they were big and junky my mum bought one in 1984 a matsui microwowave and its still going today i think it just goes to show u that it doesnt really matter to much what brand u buy its more of a hit or miss when u buy something