PDA

View Full Version : Parking outside your own home???

girnigoe
01-May-05, 22:37
[mad] Does anyone happen to know if you have any kind of right to park outside your own front door - on the main road albeit.

For a few weeks now it has been an absolute nightmare trying to park even near my house as people have started parking there!! (Think they may be leaving their cars there and getting the bus to go to work) If you arent parked there in time you can just forget it!!!!!!!

I have already asked the council about a drive but they wont allow it :(

I like to be able to see my car from my house these days as you never know whats going to happen to it overnight!!!

Any advice much appreciated :D

EDDIE
01-May-05, 22:55
Unless the road is a private road then u can but if its not then u have to put up with the problem

William
01-May-05, 23:29
I have already asked the council about a drive but they wont allow it :(

Are you able to do the drive your self?
We had the same problem but my mum went in with a letter explaining that we would do it and they changed there desision, we now have one

SandTiger
01-May-05, 23:31
Permit parking cums to Caithness - That should swell the county coffers

girnigoe
01-May-05, 23:39
Thanks for the advice Tommy but I should have said that it was the planning permission which was refused!

We (apparently) live too close to a corner! Although my neighbour who lives directly opposite has a drive. Done about 10 years ago now :eyes

SandTiger
01-May-05, 23:46
Thanks for the advice Tommy but I should have said that it was the planning permission which was refused!

We (apparently) live too close to a corner! Although my neighbour who lives directly opposite has a drive. Done about 10 years ago now :eyes

Have you tried a Police Stop sign?

girnigoe
01-May-05, 23:50
Hahahahahaha :lol:

Reminds me of the sitcom "Bread". Not sure I fit the "Ma Boswell" role????

SandTiger
01-May-05, 23:57
Bacon roll??

Carla Lane? - http://www.carlalane.com/mistress.html

katarina
02-May-05, 07:46
where do u live girnigoe?

EDDIE
02-May-05, 09:47
But what was the reason for it being refusesd.The council can be a strange lot what about writing to your local mp to see if he could assist you

Fifi
02-May-05, 09:56
Try asking the council why it's ok to park outside your house if it's so close to a corner yet not safe to have a driveway there??? Is it to do with reversing onto a main road perhaps?

On second thoughts, if you ask them the above you might just end up with double yellow lines outside your house! However, if your neighbour has a drive in a similar area then surely there is a case for a precendent being set and therefore you should be allowed the same thing?

Whitewater
02-May-05, 13:01
girnigoe, the problem is that it is a public road and anybody can park there, I know it is inconvenient and a hassle but that is the way it is.

As Fifi said if there is a driveway in the house opposite a precedent has been set so it is worth another try. You wouldn't need to reverse out onto the main road if you made enough room in your drive to turn the car.

Rheghead
02-May-05, 15:16
I am fairly cautious about parking in front of someone else's home now because of an incident a number of years ago. The mannie cut through my brakelines and my ex drove off in the car. Nasty experience for her but she survived after going down a steep hill out of town.

With hindsight, if it had turned more serious, the mannie would have saved me from a rather expensive divorce settlement... :evil

Goldfish
04-May-05, 07:55
As Fifi said if there is a driveway in the house opposite a precedent has been set so it is worth another try. You wouldn't need to reverse out onto the main road if you made enough room in your drive to turn the car.

A couple of years ago we finally got permission for a driveway and we are also on a main road. We argued the point of road safety after a couple of bad accidents just yards from out door and also damage to our own car. We got the permission but it stated that since we did not have enough room to turn the car we must reverese in and drive forward out- no probs. Also try to get the police on your side with reports of any accidents or congestion problems. The council have to take this into account.

Since we got the driveway in a neighbour put one in without permission and got away with it.

ŠAmethyst
04-May-05, 11:12
One of my neighbours built a driveway without council permission. They weren't happy - neither are any of teh neighbours. They built a second driveway further away from the wall that was blocking the vew of the road from the drive. They still use the original one. Stupidity always seems to win in this county!

Another parking story... Have a friend whose husband's a vet and on most nights is on call. When they lived very close to the centre of town he found it difficult to park on his own street. He asked the council if he could have one of those white lines painted on the road outside his house. Their answer was no. Seemingly animals don't matter. Needless to say - they moved and now finds it easier to park.

Councils... who'd have 'em, eh!?

All the best Girnigoe.

k16pug
04-May-05, 19:54
council are contradicting themselves a bit aint they?its allowed for cars to park on a corner which is far more dangerous than a havin a drive where your own car would be of the road?better watch if u do get a drive maybe ull get blocked in but on the other hand it mite make people park away bcoz they see your drive?dnt c why u cnt put a drive in its rediculous.

girnigoe
06-May-05, 00:10
Thanks everyone for your good advice! I think I will go back and ask the council again - its got to be worth a try! I will keep you all posted :D