PDA

View Full Version : Low Flying.....

Chobbersjnr
04-Apr-07, 14:07
Yep seriously low flying military style helicopter. The one with the propellors at both ends of the beastie.....

is it a chinuck?????

ANYWAY I was sitting surfin the World Wide Org & a noise appeared as if from out of the floor. When I looked up this machine was about (guessing) 6-10 feet from the top of my house & seemed to just clear the last building before it's descent under the cliffs to fly above the pentland firth

WOW I half expected a pile of blackened faced gun carrying uniform people to jump out & start shouting things like, hut & two & three etc etc

moncur
04-Apr-07, 14:13
Its not the A-Team is it? That would be a kodak moment!

MadPict
04-Apr-07, 14:29
It's Chinook - and I had nowt to do with it....

justine
04-Apr-07, 16:33
It a chinook. part of military training is low flying...They also do close flying, and manouvers close to cliffs and buildings...
The nice thing about a chinook is the sound. In the army we call them a wokka wokka, as this is the sound that the two rotor blades make as they spin...Beatuiful machine and fun to fly in...

emb123
04-Apr-07, 16:40
I had fairly short, fat a four propellor military plane fly about 20 feet above my home yesterday, I'd just walked down the path to take my dog for a walk and was gobsmacked. Impressed too. Would have loved to have gotten a photo. We see plenty of low flying jets round here (for about 15 seconds) but never seen a slow old chugger like that one before.

lasher
04-Apr-07, 17:25
Yep seriously low flying military style helicopter. The one with the propellors at both ends of the beastie.....

is it a chinuck?????

ANYWAY I was sitting surfin the World Wide Org & a noise appeared as if from out of the floor. When I looked up this machine was about (guessing) 6-10 feet from the top of my house & seemed to just clear the last building before it's descent under the cliffs to fly above the pentland firth

WOW I half expected a pile of blackened faced gun carrying uniform people to jump out & start shouting things like, hut & two & three etc etc
I think it was more than 6-10ft away from your roof beleive me you would know about it if it was that close.

mrs n
04-Apr-07, 19:29
we had it down here in banffshire for a few days not long ago, had a low flying hercules today as well

MadPict
04-Apr-07, 20:44
Short fat jobby is the C-130 or variant of - also lovingly named "The Fat Albert" - low level flying is it's speciality too.

Get more thought control agents in the back than a Wokka Wokka......:p

doyle
05-Apr-07, 15:57
I saw them too! Just after lunchtime I heard this noise - ran outside and 2 of them literally skimmed the rooftops heading in the Dunnet beach direction. Talk about low! Quite a novelty to see chinooks up here!

North Rhins
05-Apr-07, 17:36
Short fat jobby is the C-130 or variant of - also lovingly named "The Fat Albert" - low level flying is it's speciality too.

Get more thought control agents in the back than a Wokka Wokka......:p

AKA ‘Hercky Bird.’ Spent many unpleasant, mind numbing, ear drum popping hours in one of them. They’ve got to be one of the most uncomfortable modes of transport known to man.

stratman
05-Apr-07, 17:41
I think it was more than 6-10ft away from your roof beleive me you would know about it if it was that close.

They follow a vegan diet up there. It has all already been strengthened to withstand far greater down drafts than a measely rotar blade could create!!!
(A brief childish moment..... sorry)

highlander
05-Apr-07, 19:47
It was a beautiful sight to see the two chinooks, i could hear them coming from a distance and wondered what the heck is this noise, did anyone see the chinook and hercules plane last week? Im sure i read that the R.A.F. are having extra training before they head off to afganistan.

grumpyhippo
05-Apr-07, 21:22
AKA ‘Hercky Bird.’ They’ve got to be one of the most uncomfortable modes of transport known to man.

Not when they were taking you home after a 6 month deployment. Then they made the most beautiful sound in the world!!! and gave you the best flight you can imagine. I could even tolerate the 'toilet facilities' up the back end of the wonderful beast!!!!!!:lol: :lol:

George Brims
05-Apr-07, 23:09
One of my fondest memories of growing up in Caithness is studying the underside of various military planes. Hawker Hunters and Sea Vixens, later Phantoms and Buccaneers, later still Tornadoes and Jaguars. Those were the low flying ones. Up high you could make out Vulcans and Victors - two very distinctive shapes compared to commercial aircraft.

I do have two memories of visiting planes making an impression.

One summer a squadron of Lockheed Starfighters from Germany spent some time at Lossiemouth (or Kinloss?) while their runway at home was being repaired. Those things flew so low and fast and made such a loud noise they could make you jump out of your skin. One passed over our house while I was in the attic rummaging around looking for something - banged my head and stood rubbing the lump and listening to tiles creaking back into place on the roof. I also saw one leave a visible shock wave passing over Watten Loch one still evening.

I also remember a few days of USAF B-52s passing over. They seemed to be using Watten, or perhaps the loch itself, as a nav point. They would approach from the SW then turn left and go away to the NW. I took a photo of one, and consulting a reference book and finding the length, measured the left wingtip at a hair *under* 100 ft over Dod and George Alexander's garage! Given that the tailplane on that thing must be at least 40 feet tall, that looked like low flying to me!

hotrod4
08-Apr-07, 21:06
I was lucky enough to fly numerous times in a chinook. My first time was my most memorable as we were doing a demo for the malaysian government in Aldershot. The pilot flew to about 1000 feet then opened the back door and the centre drop. It was an amazing sight with another chinook flying behind us, its something i will always remember as it scared the life out of me!!!!

Camra
09-Apr-07, 17:44
I remember taking a short cut up a single track road ( via Edderton ?) up to meet the Struie some years ago. and as i crested a hill, met a B52 coming over the top, head on eyes level with the cockpit, flying ' nap of the earth'.
They fly sort of nose down i belive.
I couldn't hear myself going ' Je5u5 Chr!st ' for the racket.....couldn't hear anything at all for about 3 minutes. crivvens it was loud !

horseman
09-Apr-07, 21:15
I remember taking a short cut up a single track road ( via Edderton ?) up to meet the Struie some years ago. and as i crested a hill, met a B52 coming over the top, head on eyes level with the cockpit, flying ' nap of the earth'.
They fly sort of nose down i belive.
I couldn't hear myself going ' Je5u5 Chr!st ' for the racket.....couldn't hear anything at all for about 3 minutes. crivvens it was loud !

Laughed out loud, literally, at your description.We had one of those awacs machines fly over us last week, very low and very slow,five minutes later it done the same thing again...Only ever seen them on telly before..