PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - check you are registered to vote

Treud na Mara
04-Mar-15, 11:51
I had seen lots of information about this and received a letter confirming I was still registered but that the system was changing from household registration to individual registration in the future. I know I was registered as I voted in September but I just thought I would check to be sure. I was no longer registered ! I have put matters right myself but I'm glad I checked. So you can do it online at www.gov.uk click through to Citizenship and living in the UK and then through to Voting.

PantsMAN
04-Mar-15, 12:54
Many thanks Treud na Mara, like you and most other people I received a letter about the new voter registration, stating that I was registered.

Like you, I wasn't registered according to this website.

Oddquine
04-Mar-15, 20:46
How do you both know you weren't registered? Did you check the latest version of the printed electoral register?

In Moray, I got a letter addressed to me at the end of October, telling me I was automatically registered and I didn't need to do anything else. I got another letter last Friday, addressed to the occupier, telling me that the following person (me) is currently registered to vote at my address and telling me that if anyone else was living here they should go to the address given (as above in Treud na Mara's post) to apply to register or by scanning in a code given in the letter to a smartphone to apply to register. I will be checking the electoral register the next time I go to the library, and if they have the up to date printing, I expect be on it.

I'd have thought all area offices would be following the same registration routine.

Treud na Mara
05-Mar-15, 00:53
Oddquine,Like you I got the first letter and accepted that I was indeed registered, however when I checked the official gov.uk site told me that I wasn't and that my new application would be made to the Highland Council. I didn't keep the letter as it clearly said I need do nothing, however I am taking the matter up with them as a similar mistake could have been made with others.It does seem odd that everyone else I know who has checked has also found they were not registered. Not a single one has found that they were listed.If I hadn't voted so recently it would not have seemed so surprising. I know that there is a new system and individuals rather than households have to make or confirm their entries. The only difference I could see is that the new system requires a National Insurance number.Anyway, although it is annoying to have to do all this checking, keeping your right to vote is too important to lose through inaction.F
How do you both know you weren't registered? Did you check the latest version of the printed electoral register? In Moray, I got a letter addressed to me at the end of October, telling me I was automatically registered and I didn't need to do anything else. I got another letter last Friday, addressed to the occupier, telling me that the following person (me) is currently registered to vote at my address and telling me that if anyone else was living here they should go to the address given (as above in Treud na Mara's post) to apply to register or by scanning in a code given in the letter to a smartphone to apply to register. I will be checking the electoral register the next time I go to the library, and if they have the up to date printing, I expect be on it. I'd have thought all area offices would be following the same registration routine.

Bill Fernie
05-Mar-15, 10:54
I have looked into this and went to the gov.uk site and completed the form to see what came back. It said I am not registered but they will inform Highland council.

I thought this is strange as I have completed all forms sent about registration and lived at the same address for over 35 years.

I then phoned the electoral registration office of Highland council in inverness. They confirmed I am registered.

I then explained what I had done to check online. They told me you cannot check your registration online. The gov.uk site only deals with new applications. It is confusing as it does not say that. The registration office in Inverness is receiving many calls about this.

The main point is you cannot check your registration online.

You need to visit a library or other place where register is held just as in the past.

Then if you are not registered you can complete online but it would probably be better to contact the Registration office directly if you need to apply so the form is sent out faster. The web site only notifies Highland Council registrar to issue you with a registration form.

PantsMAN
05-Mar-15, 15:38
Thanks Bill, I wondered about this.
Once again the lack of cohesion and communication within local / national government is startling.
And this in light of the Scottish Government's idea of a national database...oh dear!

Treud na Mara
05-Mar-15, 23:42
Thanks Bill for looking into this. It seems that the gov.uk site is very misleading in this matter. And that must be creating a lot of extra work for council registrars. PantsMAN has a point about the Scottish Government's idea of a national database. Oh dear indeed.

badger
06-Mar-15, 21:30
It looks as if they have changed that website already as I can't see anywhere to check whether you are already registered. The only link for that is to a page where you can find your local Electoral Registration Office. The rest is all about how to register, vote etc.