PDA

View Full Version : Q: When is Age discrimination legal?

Alrock
25-Feb-15, 19:22
A: When it is the Government itself doing the discriminating!

What am I talking about you may ask?

Well, I am currently unemployed & seeking work.

Quite often whilst job searching, I'll find a job advertised that I feel I would have a good chance of getting only to discover that it has been restricted to 16 to 19 year olds due to some Government run scheme...

Why is this allowed? Am I somehow less deserving because of my age?

grumpyhippo
25-Feb-15, 20:36
Another example at the opposite end of the age spectrum........the government wants us all to save more but the recently introduced bonds, that have a rate of interest that make it worth while saving, are available to over 65s only. I suppose if you make the equality rules, you can break the equality rules.

sids
25-Feb-15, 21:05
Another example at the opposite end of the age spectrum........the government wants us all to save more but the recently introduced bonds, that have a rate of interest that make it worth while saving, are available to over 65s only. I suppose if you make the equality rules, you can break the equality rules.

Yebbut poor Alrock has to earn to save!

theone
26-Feb-15, 08:25
Why is this allowed? Am I somehow less deserving because of my age?

Good question.

The same applies for winter fuel allowances and bus passes.

Alrock
26-Feb-15, 08:37
The following errors occurred with your submission

frkf has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Please clear your inbox

frkf
26-Feb-15, 08:47
Oops sorry, that should be it fixed now.

Fulmar
26-Feb-15, 13:10
I am an older person too and think that we are all equally deserving. But, older folk generally (in my view), usually have far more life skills and hence ability to cope with disappointments relating to looking for work while those aged 16 to 19 actually do need the help and face the catch 22 of needing experience in order to stand a chance of getting any job. Hence I am all in favour of schemes that help give the young folk that additional chance. They do, after all, have their entire life stretching ahead of them whereas those who are 60 plus really have already had their chances and when they were young themselves, it was much easier to find work.

Alrock
26-Feb-15, 19:02
I am an older person too and think that we are all equally deserving. But, older folk generally (in my view), usually have far more life skills and hence ability to cope with disappointments relating to looking for work while those aged 16 to 19 actually do need the help and face the catch 22 of needing experience in order to stand a chance of getting any job. Hence I am all in favour of schemes that help give the young folk that additional chance. They do, after all, have their entire life stretching ahead of them whereas those who are 60 plus really have already had their chances and when they were young themselves, it was much easier to find work.

Well I'm still quite a bit off the 60 plus age limit, though when I did start work at 17 I was expecting a "Job For Life" but by the time I'd finished my apprenticeship the full force of Thatcherism had taken effect & I was thrown on the scrap heap managing only temporary jobs here & there with long spells of unemployment in between, so despite my age & I feel my ability when it comes to applying for jobs I just don't have the experience required.