PDA

View Full Version : polystyrene tiles

katarina
30-Apr-05, 20:05
Any one know a way of getting polystyrene tiles off a wall ? I'm trying but it's a sould destroying job!

nicnak
30-Apr-05, 22:05
Hi Katrina I had this horrendous job to do too , in the end I found the best way was using a scraper thats made for taking paint off glass windows after you have a pinted the frames, i got mine from wotsits in wick but you can get them at any hardware store and they only cost a couple of quid.
hope this helps
nicnak

kenimac1
30-Apr-05, 22:15
I found it was easier to get a plasterer to put a skim over them!

Rheghead
01-May-05, 00:38
Here is a chemist's answer to your problem. Polystyrene will melt on contact with acetone ( neat nailpolish remover),( this was used as a special effect in the 'Alien' film when its blood came into contact with the Nostromo's deck plates). When this happens, the residue will turn into a form of glue, which can be used as a good base for anything that you wish to stick back in it's place.

So my advice is if you want to stick something back in the tile's place then spray or apply with acetone and then use the residue as a glue.

thickrodney
01-May-05, 13:31
i recentlyused a garden hoe .
It gives you enough purchase.
Then sand down any glue stuck to the ceiling.

katarina
01-May-05, 20:04
Thanks. I've got a lot to try then.

SandTiger
01-May-05, 21:09
Once you have got the worst off, try using a hot air paint stripper gun to heat up the tile adhesive and use a wallpaer scrapper to slide it off. Be careful not to overheat the plasterboard or it will burn. Then sand it all down :)

Smee2
02-May-05, 14:45
Be careful using large amounts of acetone, keep the area well ventilated and if you are going to use it as a spray wear a protective mask.

Also wear protective gloves as acetone can be absorbed into the body through the skin and can cause problems to the liver!!!

Clever Smee :cool:

Rheghead
02-May-05, 15:09
The gluey residue after the acetone application will make a good bonding agent for any re-plasterwork.

katarina
02-May-05, 15:18
I was just going tp paper the wall.