PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for ae boys : good work if ye get it !!!

rob murray
23-Feb-15, 17:21
how about this then, nothing surprising here but look at the rates charged : my heart bleeds for poor ol talcy malcy rifkins...he's self employed he claims.. he's a damn MP with a salary ah !!! and Straw,a former trot / hard leftie, is as as big a charlatan as his ex millionaire boss Blair

Two former foreign secretaries have been suspended from their parliamentary parties after being secretly filmed apparently offering their services to a private company for cash.
Conservative Sir Malcolm Rifkind and Labour's Jack Straw both say they have broken no rules.
Reporters for the Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investigations/11411007/Jack-Straw-and-Sir-Malcolm-Rifkind-in-latest-cash-for-access-scandal.html) and Channel 4's Dispatches (http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/politicians-for-hire?hootPostID=fbf913e1ff7a3cde176f15e119d73d8d) posed as staff of a fake Chinese firm.
The MPs have referred themselves to Parliament's standards watchdog.
Labour leader Ed Miliband has written to the prime minister calling for a ban on MPs having second jobs.
'Useful access' It is claimed that Mr Straw was recorded describing how he operated "under the radar" and had used his influence to change EU rules on behalf of a firm which paid him £60,000 a year.
On the subject of payment, Mr Straw is heard saying: "So normally, if I'm doing a speech or something, it's £5,000 a day, that's what I charge."
Sir Malcolm is reported to have claimed he could arrange "useful access" to every British ambassador in the world.
The MP for Kensington and chairman of Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee was recorded saying: "I am self-employed - so nobody pays me a salary. I have to earn my income."
He said his usual fee for half a day's work was "somewhere in the region of £5,000 to £8,000".

rob murray
23-Feb-15, 17:39
Sir Malcolm Rifkind has defended his alleged offer to use his influence to help a private company by saying it is “unrealistic” to expect some MPs to live on their £67,000 basic salary

Alice in Blunderland
23-Feb-15, 17:44
Many of them DONT live on their basic salary all the perks and extras fairly take it up to a heck of a lot more.

Kenn
24-Feb-15, 00:02
There are many folk who would think their boat had come in on a salary of £67,00 ! That's almost three times the average wage.

Gronnuck
24-Feb-15, 12:50
I watched the Channel 4 documentary last night and have been following the news this morning. My immediate impression was of the greed both men displayed. Rifkind actually lied when he said, “I don’t get a salary,” implying that the £67,000 he gets paid each year is of no consequence. Other sources quoted him as saying he deserves more!
I’m glad he has decided to step down, about the only honourable thing he’s done thus far.
I doubt I’m the only one who is heart sick of the behaviour of members of the Westminster elite.

rob murray
24-Feb-15, 15:16
I watched the Channel 4 documentary last night and have been following the news this morning. My immediate impression was of the greed both men displayed. Rifkind actually lied when he said, “I don’t get a salary,” implying that the £67,000 he gets paid each year is of no consequence. Other sources quoted him as saying he deserves more!
I’m glad he has decided to step down, about the only honourable thing he’s done thus far.
I doubt I’m the only one who is heart sick of the behaviour of members of the Westminster elite.

Rifkind is a squirmy liar, typical lawyer....Straw hacks me off more as in his past he was hard left, Rifkind was / is a Thatcherite so I expected no more or less from him. So of the 2 greedy hypocrites its Straw who is in the premier league

Gronnuck
25-Feb-15, 11:41
I have a horrible sinking feeling that slimy Rifkind and scumbag Straw will be members of the House of Lords within five years.

rob murray
25-Feb-15, 16:53
I have a horrible sinking feeling that slimy Rifkind and scumbag Straw will be members of the House of Lords within five years.

Depending on how he handles the situation, Rifkind will be a Lord next year...40 years parliamentary expereince blah blah blah, at least Cameron hit him hard, which is more than MIllaband has done to Straw

Oddquine
25-Feb-15, 18:33
Depending on how he handles the situation, Rifkind will be a Lord next year...40 years parliamentary expereince blah blah blah, at least Cameron hit him hard, which is more than MIllaband has done to Straw

Not that I normally go about defending either Milliband or Cameron.......but Milliband didn't have to do anything. Straw suspended himself from the Whip and wasn't standing again in any case, and I suppose his only real crime was discussing possible future employment opportunities before Parliament dissolved. Rifkind at that stage still had his hat in the election ring, so would have been working for them when an MP....and he, on the other hand, blustered and tried to justify his actions. It took Cameron's remarks, and those of members of the committee he chaired to make him fall on his sword.....otherwise he wouldn't have.....and you know he wouldn't. Just because the accepted Westminster interpretation of a woolly code of conduct made it "not illegal".....it didn't make it right...any more than the accepted application of expenses as a quasi-pay increase made the exploitation of expenses claim loopholes right.

What I can't quite get my head round is where the kinds of second jobs acquired by most of those who have them equate to Parliament, as Cameron said, being "enriched" in some cases by members' outside experience...when the outside experience we are talking about are all to do with inside Parliament influence. Outside experience isn't using your Westminster contacts to gain advantage for companies chasing Westminster contracts, that's position exploitation. Outside experience is doing something more regularly than selling the Big Issue for a few hours, or living on JSA for a week and preening at your "knowledge" of how the other half lives......something which gives some small idea of how the people you are meant to be representing actually have to live, thanks to your representation.....like volunteering regularly at a foodbank or a homeless shelter, doing a few hours a week behind the counter in a Job Centre to see how applying JC targets actually affect your voters, maybe a regular shift during your long holidays as a carer for your local council or private agency.....or even a turn on the front line in the latest skirmish for control of foreign countries. That would maybe not enrich the pockets of MPs, but sure as Hades it would make sure they knew the opinions of all voters, and not just of those in their picked focus groups of party members, or those attending party meetings.......and might just enrich Parliament by introducing some small element of humanity/empathy/common decency into a Government of the self-perceived elite run currently to benefit them, their pals and their parties.

rob murray
26-Feb-15, 13:08
Not that I normally go about defending either Milliband or Cameron.......but Milliband didn't have to do anything. Straw suspended himself from the Whip and wasn't standing again in any case, and I suppose his only real crime was discussing possible future employment opportunities before Parliament dissolved. Rifkind at that stage still had his hat in the election ring, so would have been working for them when an MP....and he, on the other hand, blustered and tried to justify his actions. It took Cameron's remarks, and those of members of the committee he chaired to make him fall on his sword.....otherwise he wouldn't have.....and you know he wouldn't. Just because the accepted Westminster interpretation of a woolly code of conduct made it "not illegal".....it didn't make it right...any more than the accepted application of expenses as a quasi-pay increase made the exploitation of expenses claim loopholes right.

What I can't quite get my head round is where the kinds of second jobs acquired by most of those who have them equate to Parliament, as Cameron said, being "enriched" in some cases by members' outside experience...when the outside experience we are talking about are all to do with inside Parliament influence. Outside experience isn't using your Westminster contacts to gain advantage for companies chasing Westminster contracts, that's position exploitation. Outside experience is doing something more regularly than selling the Big Issue for a few hours, or living on JSA for a week and preening at your "knowledge" of how the other half lives......something which gives some small idea of how the people you are meant to be representing actually have to live, thanks to your representation.....like volunteering regularly at a foodbank or a homeless shelter, doing a few hours a week behind the counter in a Job Centre to see how applying JC targets actually affect your voters, maybe a regular shift during your long holidays as a carer for your local council or private agency.....or even a turn on the front line in the latest skirmish for control of foreign countries. That would maybe not enrich the pockets of MPs, but sure as Hades it would make sure they knew the opinions of all voters, and not just of those in their picked focus groups of party members, or those attending party meetings.......and might just enrich Parliament by introducing some small element of humanity/empathy/common decency into a Government of the self-perceived elite run currently to benefit them, their pals and their parties.

Very well put totally agree with you

sam09
27-Feb-15, 23:48
Very well put Oddquine. These pair are only the tip of the iceberg. How many more have not been uncovered ? Now just watch all the other greedy M.P`s close ranks and cover each others backs.