PDA

View Full Version : Sweetbreads

cullpacket
22-Feb-15, 01:14
Can you get it localy ? would like to try it

Southern-Gal
22-Feb-15, 10:29
Most the lambs are ringed at birth so doubt it. Ask the butcher.

cullpacket
22-Feb-15, 10:41
http://www.foodterms.com/encyclopedia/sweetbreads/index.html

sids
22-Feb-15, 10:56
Most the lambs are ringed at birth so doubt it. Ask the butcher.

Asking the butcher is the sensible answer. I've had sweetbreads in a stew in a Spanish restaurant, by accident because I couldn't understand the menu. It was quite nice.

If it's really goolies that are wanted, keep your ear to the ground for a beef farmer getting big bull calves "cut with the knife." You'll get some funny looks.

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-15, 12:15
It might be worth asking the vet, they usually do the castration of young bulls. They will probably give you the heads up when they have a session.

sids
22-Feb-15, 13:40
It might be worth asking the vet, they usually do the castration of young bulls. They will probably give you the heads up when they have a session.

Vet could get you cat or dog ones too. Suck them like pandrops.

cullpacket
22-Feb-15, 14:45
It's not dangling bits. the pancreas calves preferably

starfish
22-Feb-15, 15:32
Sweetbreads are subject to much confusion, and are often mistakenly believed to be the testicles of an animal. In fact, they're two separate glands - the thymus gland (from the throat) and the pancreas gland (from the heart or stomach) that are taken from calves or lambs.

cullpacket
22-Feb-15, 17:19
Thanks for that those two are confused on every post that they go on to !!

Treud na Mara
22-Feb-15, 17:29
When I was young - more than 50 years ago - we used to have them fried coated in breadcrumbs - remarkably like modern chicken nuggets! We had them reasonably frequently so I can only assume they were fairly cheap as no mention was made of them being any sort of luxurious delicacy. I seem to recall that quite a bit of preparation was involved but maybe I'm wrong. They just seemed to become less available at butchers, so maybe they were just considered 'not worth the bother' and ultimately unprofitable, certainly for supermarkets.

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-15, 19:04
When I was young - more than 50 years ago - we used to have them fried coated in breadcrumbs - remarkably like modern chicken nuggets! We had them reasonably frequently so I can only assume they were fairly cheap as no mention was made of them being any sort of luxurious delicacy. I seem to recall that quite a bit of preparation was involved but maybe I'm wrong. They just seemed to become less available at butchers, so maybe they were just considered 'not worth the bother' and ultimately unprofitable, certainly for supermarkets.

With the elastrator or Burdizo method of castration being done with the calf being very young not many clinical castrations are done nowadays. The method of using the Burdizo in this clip differs slightly to the way I used to use it.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_BE dY1Lp_dc&ei=kBjqVJLBMortUtiAg9AF&usg=AFQjCNHfoeoTA0ASW4Zoxw6BqJSWMTFYOA&sig2=fbiAbE628qwEGR3fOnvZjQ

cullpacket
22-Feb-15, 20:56
Thanks Treud Kevin doesn't get it the usuall jumps in a thread not a clue never read my second post more to be pittyed than scorned. Anyway http://www.thekitchn.com/what-are-sweetbreads-and-why-you-should-try-them-meat-basics-208248

Kevin Milkins
23-Feb-15, 00:27
I must admit I didn't read your second post because I don't click on links without an explanation as to what it is a link to. It seems every day is learning day because I had no idea that those other arrears were referred to as sweetbreads.
The short answer to your first question is "I have no idea", but a butcher might, good luck.

Dadie
23-Feb-15, 01:14
Ask your friendly butcher for them! ...and specify what beast!
Have a feeling the slaughterhouses get rid of them before the carcasses reach the butchers unless they are requested.
Ask your butcher to get them for xxxx day (with plenty notice) taking account of when they get deliveries fresh in etc ....so you get em fresh as you can(that day the beast is killed the best...to about72 hrs after death) ...they spoil faster(offal does) and take more work and care(soaking and cutting ) to prepare for dinner but you cannot overcook sweetmeats unless you turn it to charcoal!