PDA

View Full Version : Scotland ruled by England.

unhappywanderer
10-Feb-15, 15:28
If I were a Scot then I would have taken umbrage at being ruled by the English from their grand house on the side of the River Thames in London. In fact, I would probably have mounted a serious challenge against English rule from an early age and with much energy.

What is the House of Parliament really all about? I personally see it as a building where thousands of restrictive and often counter-productive Laws, Rules and Regulations are manufactured day-after-day for the alleged benefit of the English, Scottish. Irish and Welsh people to contend with. No wonder the ancient Mr Alex recently found so much energy to mount a serious challenge!

sids
10-Feb-15, 18:56
You don't need to worry about it.

There was a vote.

piratelassie
12-Feb-15, 00:35
The result of the vote was a MASSIVE lost opertunity for the whole UK.

You don't need to worry about it.

There was a vote.

unhappywanderer
12-Feb-15, 00:38
The result of the vote was a MASSIVE lost opertunity for the whole UK.

I agree with you but would like to see some clarity.

sids
12-Feb-15, 07:39

There's some ok red for only £4 a bottle in Lidl.

rob murray
12-Feb-15, 16:46

Clarity.....there was a vote, votes were coounted, the process involved followed required diligence, the result was No by a margin of c 10%, what more clarification do you or anyone else require ? Accept that the majority of people voted to stay in the UK, and keep yer eye on what the SNIP's may do should they smash labour in Scotland come mays election as all predictions are highlighting this.....

Hoggie
07-Mar-15, 17:14
If the objection to Westminster is the "thousands of restrictive and often counter-productive rules", would you care to list a few of them? Then ask which politicians are the keenest to over-regulate.

dozy
07-Mar-15, 18:00
Clarity.....there was a vote, votes were coounted, the process involved followed required diligence, the result was No by a margin of c 10%, what more clarification do you or anyone else require ? Accept that the majority of people voted to stay in the UK, and keep yer eye on what the SNIP's may do should they smash labour in Scotland come mays election as all predictions are highlighting this.....The Law clearly states that NO party can add anything ,which includes any sort of vow within the 28days period before the vote is taken . I checked this with the Electoral Commission and they agreed ,but you have to register your complaint with the Government .It was the Westminster Government that broke the rules and you somehow think that's fair . You right quick to say that's what democracy is about . Labour had its chance to smash the Tories but decided to bent over instead to their shame. Hopefully the good people of Scotland will correct that mistake and see Labour for the rotten two faced rats they are . I would love to see the SNP in the driving seat and do whats right for the many and not the Rich few that you no doubt support.

Scout
07-Mar-15, 19:57
What I can not understand,every one saying they will see through Labour and other Government and how bad they have been in power, SNP has been in power since 2007, step back and really say to yourself what have they done part from splitting the country.

Rheghead
07-Mar-15, 22:23
The current situation is not so much that Scotland is ruled by England, it is just that Scotland's voice is simply drowned out at Westminster by sheer numbers of other MPs. Those other MPs simply have distinctly different political values as Scotland's MPs and that is where democracy in the UK fails. Scots simply aren't in control of their country.

Scout
08-Mar-15, 10:04
So why SNP wants to be controled by Brussels ?

Rheghead
08-Mar-15, 20:46
So why SNP wants to be controled by Brussels ?

By joining the EU the country needs to meet certain benchmarks in terms of human rights. Do you think it is a good idea that countries should meet this criteria or at least dangle the carrot so that other countries should meet it?

smithp
08-Mar-15, 21:06
What I can not understand,every one saying they will see through Labour and other Government and how bad they have been in power, SNP has been in power since 2007, step back and really say to yourself what have they done part from splitting the country.

They've added 50p to the cost of a Lidl bottle of clarity.

Scout
09-Mar-15, 20:47
They've added 50p to the cost of a Lidl bottle of clarity. Very funny good one :-)

Rheghead
09-Mar-15, 23:33
I saw on Reporting Scotland tonight that there was an English Conservative MP venting anger that a 'particular area of the UK' was going to hold the balance of power in Westminster after May's General Election.

Does anyone else see the irony of this? :roll:

Oddquine
10-Mar-15, 03:33
I saw on Reporting Scotland tonight that there was an English Conservative MP venting anger that a 'particular area of the UK' was going to hold the balance of power in Westminster after May's General Election.

Does anyone else see the irony of this? :roll:

We are Better Together as long as we don't try to rock the UK controlled boat, it appears, Rheghead! It is not a problem, it seems, if 41 Scottish NULabour MPs, who belong heart, soul and voting fodder to the UK NuLabour parent, are in a position to decide which party gets to govern in the UK, as long as any outcome after an election ensures that the UK government duopoly, and the additional LibDem MPs "just in case we don't quite make it into Government with our own elected MPs" option continues to prevail. The problem is not a coalition/agreement, the problem is that the SNP, is not part of the establishment as viewed from Westminster.....and is therefore unacceptable as a partner within the UK.

This attitude does, of course, rather negate the referendum rhetoric which, in between threats, and promises to use their influence to ensure we would fail if we voted for independence, we were being love-bombed to the point of nausea and being told interminably that we'd have a stronger voice in the UK compared to out of it. Now maybe I picked the succession of Bitter Together and Government spokespersons' wrong, but I did kinda think the Westminster Parliament was in the UK, so given that elections are held by Westminster's rules and under their control, I do rather fail to see why there is so much irrational paranoia about a democratically elected batch of SNP MPs turning up in Westminster according to their own rules. If it turns out that the SNP holds the balance of power, is that not the fault of the system they fought so hard to maintain, when AV was proposed, voted on and failed to be approved because neither of them wanted to cede their buggin's turn control over the UK?

They sure look after their own interests first and foremost, don't they?