PDA

View Full Version : cops wi guns

rob murray
06-Feb-15, 14:54
According to the groat....POLICE bosses are trying to find a way to send armed officers to routine incidents without another public outcry in the north. Chief Superintendent Julian Innes said the possibility of the officers carrying the weapons covertly was being explored.

NOw am I being stupid here, but why would cops in Caithness need to carry guns, its not as if the place is hoaching with armed desperadoes is it !! Things happen, and we need to prevent the misuse of firearms by the people who are meant to protect us. We dont need or want armed cops do we ?

Bystander1
07-Feb-15, 19:59
The Scottish Gubmint (or at least the Scottish peepul) will rue the day they set up this body called
Police Scotland.
Carrying weapons covertly, stop & search without due authority is only the start. If this lot are not stamped on we are heading for a police State, if we are not already there.

sids
07-Feb-15, 21:28
Freeze!

Rheghead
07-Feb-15, 21:54
NOw am I being stupid here, but why would cops in Caithness need to carry guns, its not as if the place is hoaching with armed desperadoes is it !!

Now am I being stupid here but haven't we already been having routine armed police patrols of Caithness for the last 40+ years? :roll:

sids
07-Feb-15, 23:46
haven't we already been having routine armed police patrols of Caithness for the last 40+ years? :roll:

I don't know.

gerry4
08-Feb-15, 12:42
I notice that it is becoming an issue in England. Being called 'armed police by the backdoor'.

If police are to be armed then it should be debated by the parliaments in both countries and it should be the elected representatives to decide. For a senior policeman who the public have no control over, to decided is totally undemocratic.

rob murray
09-Feb-15, 12:58
Now am I being stupid here but haven't we already been having routine armed police patrols of Caithness for the last 40+ years? :roll:

In 50 years Ive never seen an armed police office in Caithness, apart from UKAEA site cops and the Forss naval base shore patrol, Caithness bobbies : NOrthern Constabulary never carried guns and neither they should !!

theone
09-Feb-15, 13:04
I'm probably in the minority, but I honestly don't mind if they carry guns or not.

unhappywanderer
09-Feb-15, 13:26
When people sign-up to become police officers or soldiers then they do so knowing they might someday lose their lives in the course of doing their duty. In the old days, un-armed cops had dealt with armed people effectively and very few had ever lost their lives or been seriously injured because their talking skills had won the day.
Nowadays we do have a sprinkling of armed lunatics wandering the streets, armed robberies and some terrorist's among us and we never know quite where until they come out of the woodwork. However, the good work of the police very often leads to the discovery of weapons and ammunition that could very well be found in such places as Wick, Thurso or a car boot.
I am all for seeing the return of the old and more desirable ways of doing things and I reckon that high-ranking police officers are out of order in trying to routinely arm police services. Such a way forward would lead to members of the public fearing the very sight of cops.

rob murray
09-Feb-15, 17:23
When people sign-up to become police officers or soldiers then they do so knowing they might someday lose their lives in the course of doing their duty. In the old days, un-armed cops had dealt with armed people effectively and very few had ever lost their lives or been seriously injured because their talking skills had won the day.
Nowadays we do have a sprinkling of armed lunatics wandering the streets, armed robberies and some terrorist's among us and we never know quite where until they come out of the woodwork. However, the good work of the police very often leads to the discovery of weapons and ammunition that could very well be found in such places as Wick, Thurso or a car boot.
I am all for seeing the return of the old and more desirable ways of doing things and I reckon that high-ranking police officers are out of order in trying to routinely arm police services. Such a way forward would lead to members of the public fearing the very sight of cops.

Couldnt agree more, the "outrage" concerning armed cops blew up in Inverness when armed cops were called to a slight disturbance in a Mcdonalds, which then hit the national news... this is political...Police Scotland, formed by the SNP ( save money through centralistaion ) is really the old Glasgow / West of Scotland police establishment, complete with its culture, where armed cops were more readily needed / required than say in isolated rural areas, for obvious reasons, so we are policed by West of Scotland / Strathclyde. We have no real say in the policing of Scotland, we are being forced with no choice to accept this situation. For those who say it doesnt affect them..well you might be quite innocently in the wrong place at the wrong time, like so many other innocent people who have been shot by police, as accidents happen. Keep armed response units by all means as they are needed to protect us from armed terrorists ( you cannot predict the behaviour of lunatics can you ? and armed robbers dont as a rule involve members of the public ), so no public interfacing police office should ever carry a fire arm period !

unhappywanderer
09-Feb-15, 17:48
The truth is that the police in Scotland are already armed just as they are in London because the weapons are inside the police stations ready to be grabbed and carried at the slightest excuse.
A few years back, a man walked out of a pub in London carrying a table-leg inside a bag and he was then shot dead on suspicion of carrying a firearm. As a consequence, I sold my air rifle (used for shooting rats on a farm) in order to remain alive.
I suspect that police vehicles all over Scotland are carrying guns and foresee somebody again being killed for nothing.

Gronnuck
10-Feb-15, 16:36
In 50 years Ive never seen an armed police office in Caithness, apart from UKAEA site cops and the Forss naval base shore patrol, Caithness bobbies : NOrthern Constabulary never carried guns and neither they should !!

During our first year here we noticed a police 4x4 go passed our door on a regular basis. Ours is a single track road with passing places. We gave the Police officers a wave and just went about working in the garden. We noticed the same 4x4 every hour or so driving up and/or down the road and that the Police officers were wearing black baseball types caps with a chequered band.
It took me a day or two to figure out what was happening. I spoke with my son in the central belt who confirmed that this vehicle had all the signs that it was a Police Armed Response Vehicle and was patrolling the area because the Duke of Rothesay was about to arrive to stay at the Castle of Mey for a week.
I have no doubt when Prince Charles visits every year he is accompanied by armed Police officers. We don't see the Police 4x4 in July and August as much now but there is a noticeable increase in the number of silver saloon cars about.

unhappywanderer
10-Feb-15, 16:56
During our first year here we noticed a police 4x4 go passed our door on a regular basis. Ours is a single track road with passing places. We gave the Police officers a wave and just went about working in the garden. We noticed the same 4x4 every hour or so driving up and/or down the road and that the Police officers were wearing black baseball types caps with a chequered band.
It took me a day or two to figure out what was happening. I spoke with my son in the central belt who confirmed that this vehicle had all the signs that it was a Police Armed Response Vehicle and was patrolling the area because the Duke of Rothesay was about to arrive to stay at the Castle of Mey for a week.
I have no doubt when Prince Charles visits every year he is accompanied by armed Police officers. We don't see the Police 4x4 in July and August as much now but there is a noticeable increase in the number of silver saloon cars about.

Armed police will be in any area weeks before a Royal visit to familiarise themselves with the terrain and local risk assessment purposes. Attacks upon Royals are part of our ancient history. The Sandringham area of Norfolk is alive with the Royal Protection team during December and January of every year.