PDA

View Full Version : Budge/Sandison, Crimean War

thos
29-Apr-05, 16:45
I am trying to resolve a long-standing family mystery. My great-grandfather, John Budge (1863 – 1933), seems to have been a well-known figure in Wick, a member of the Oddfellows, violinist, and well known in local theatre. However, he was born illegitimate. I know that he was born in Canisbay/Brabster to Mary Sandison, and that he had his father’s name, which was also John Budge. The story I grew up with was that John Budge Snr. died in the Crimean war before he could return for the promised marriage. We still have his war medals from Sebastopol.

The mystery: The Crimean war ended in 1855, and John Budge Jnr. Was born in 1863! I wonder sometimes if John Budge Snr. did not die. Perhaps the father dying in the war was an acceptable explanation for Mary Sandison as a solo mum? None of this explains the family name and war medals satisfactorily, but I am curious as to the possibility that John Budge Snr. perhaps had another family and that there are descendants who can shed light on this matter?

My grandparents (Charles William Cooke and Mary Sandison Budge) left Wick for New Zealand in 1946. My mother Dorothy Jean Cooke was eight at the time, and the family lived on Miller Avenue. Granddad worked on the railways – I suspect the closure of the Lybster railway contributed to the decision to emigrate.

Looking forward to responses – also about the Sandison’s of Canisbay/Brabster.

Thomas

Tricia
01-May-05, 22:28
Thomas
I have info on Mary Sandisonand son John Budge
You may have had my info from another member of her son John's family.
Anyway contact me direct .
Meanwhile I will dig out the records I have found.
Tricia
born in Wick now in England