PDA

View Full Version : Rolled truck at Strathy today - thank you for your help

cazmanian_minx
31-Jan-15, 21:33
Mick and I just wanted to say thank you very, very much to everyone who helped us today, particularly the three guys who helped him climb out through the passenger door and lent us a phone and the two police officers who attended, as well as everyone who stopped to check if we were okay. He is absolutely fine and I was actually driving the car parked behind it (the truck was booked into the garage for a job to be done next week, ironically!).

I wish the Highland Council would reconsider their new gritting policy for the A836 though. It had only just started hailing today when Mick skidded and I span my car 180 degrees on a patch of ice on the opposite brae two days ago. Both of us were driving slowly at the time because we were concerned about conditions and still lost control on the ice. At least one other person went off the road at Strathy the same day I had my spin. The road doesn't seem to have been gritted nearly as much this year as it has previously.

billmoseley
01-Feb-15, 14:38
going to have to stick up for the gritter boys here. i go off to work at 6 30 most mornings and always meet the gritter in Bettyhill. the roads for the last week have been well gritted and i have had no problems when i go though with the bus a 7am

Bertieboy
01-Feb-15, 18:16
Hi, so glad to hear you are both ok. We passed by after you got out in our minibus. Certainly made us be more aware.

cazmanian_minx
01-Feb-15, 22:24
Billmoseley - it just doesn't seem that they're putting as much down. Mick and I both drive that road six days a week, him at Dounreay in and out time, me early afternoon, and we've both thought it's not been as well-covered this year (it's rare that I see sheep in the middle licking salt this year, whereas in previous years it's been a constant hazard!). Both of us are used to driving in snow and ice and for both of us to spin within a few days of each other when both of us were driving cautiously due to conditions says to me that they've changed something somewhere. Maybe the make-up of the gritting mix, perhaps?

Bertieboy - thank you :) The scary thing was that he wasn't even going particularly fast, we'd both slowed down because of the hail, didn't even set the airbags off!

Fran
02-Feb-15, 00:34
So glad you're both OK. The roads should be gritted there as they are bad. Went from wick to thurso and back late afternoon and the roads were not gritted and were white. They are not gritting the John o groats road yet a young woman died there a few years ago.

Rheghead
02-Feb-15, 19:12
There is always many factors to a story though, whether it is poor gritting, over confidence in a 4x4 that has only road tyres fitted or whatever. The main thing is that you are ok.

davth
03-Feb-15, 20:42
Highway code rule 146Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit
take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution
where there are junctions, be prepared for road users emerging
in side roads and country lanes look out for unmarked junctions where nobody has priority
be prepared to stop at traffic control systems, road works, pedestrian crossings or traffic lights as necessary
children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you.

series2A
04-Feb-15, 18:06
I thought the roads had been gritted and ploughed better this year than last, west of the split stone anyway.
I'm off to dounreay at 6:30 and home at 15:30, rear wheel drive car and no winter tyres and not had any problems.

Bystander1
05-Feb-15, 09:07
The standard of gritting from Strathy Depot is probably the best in Caithness or Sutherland in my experience.

series2A
07-Feb-15, 14:08
Gritting has been at a better standard this year than driving standards from what I have seen this winter. Mainly those going to and from the wind farms, especially early morning.
Although the road from Strathy to Reay was a sheet of ice and wasn't gritted on boxing day.