PDA

View Full Version : Drugs man admonished

Nwicker60
24-Jan-15, 09:38
Kick your 40-year cannabis habit urges sheriff

A SHERIFF showed sympathy to a disabled middle-aged man who said he had been using a drug on a recreational basis since the age of twelve.
Morris Macleod hobbled into the dock at Wick Sheriff Court, yesterday, with the aid of a stick and admitted having eight grammes of cannabis resin in his possession when searched by police in Princes Street, Thurso the early hours of November 19, last year. The Class B drug was said to have had a street value of £50.
The 53-year-old, who lives alone at 1 North Murchison Street, Wick, declined the offer of legal advice saying he didn't think it would be helpful and he just wanted to get the matter "over and done with".
He was frank when questioned by Sheriff Andrew Berry, saying that he did not take the drugs to ease his disability and revealed he had been a cannabis user since the age of 12.
The sheriff who was told that Macleod received £60-a-week benefit told him after a recess: "It is the first offence of its kind you have committed and I have decided, under the circumstances, to admonish you."
Sheriff Berry warned him, however : "I appreciate you have been using drugs for 40 years but I would like you to bring that to an end immediately. If you come to the attention of the police again, you might well be held in custody with all the consequences that can follow".