PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Flowers

highlander
30-Mar-07, 22:28
Tonight when my husband and i was going into town at 6pm, on a single track road, there was a car stopped right in the middle of the road, his car door was open, and my first thought was "Omg, something has happened" the passenger was still sitting in the car, but no driver.
Then we noticed this guy, who had the cheek of stealing flowers on the verge of the road, but this flowers belonged to someones house nearby, my husband gave a blast of the horn, but this guy was having nothing of it, and not happy with a large bunch in his hand, decided to go into a blind panic and swipe as many as he could, dropping some in his panic to get back into his car, there was no-way we were going to reverse back, but as he was getting back into his car, the owner of the house had come out, and was waiting for him, the last view we got of this scene, was the owner of the house giving them a good talking to, I am disgusted by this, just because we live in the country, why should people feel they can just help themselves to our property, does everything have to be fenced in!!! this i feel is just as bad as folk doing fly tipping in the country, gawd first they want to take our property, and dump thier rubbish for us to dispose off, which we would have to pay to get rid of, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Max
30-Mar-07, 23:01
That is shocking Highlander - I can't believe the rubbish that is dumped in the country. Toys, bits of cars, chairs, tv's. A few years ago someone threw brand new plastic toys in a ditch some of them still appear from time to time! The stupid thing is they could get them taken away by the Council and in the case of the toys put them in their bin! I just don't get it!

Jeemag_USA
30-Mar-07, 23:09
If they were on the verge ho do you know they belonged to someone, they may have justbeen daffodils or something growing wild. Maybe the guy was visiting a sick relative and had no money, you never know ;) Maybe the owner was not giving him a talking to, maybe they knew each other?

highlander
30-Mar-07, 23:15
WHAT!! hecks i never read that flower shops have closed, and supermarkets have stopped selling them............YEAHHHHHH RITE........and yes they were daffs, and was still on this mans property, and even if it was not on his property, people like to have a drive out in the countryside, even if they did not belong to him, or if they were wild flowers, who gives it them the right to deprive others from enjoying the beautiful countryside

Jeemag_USA
30-Mar-07, 23:30
WHAT!! hecks i never read that flower shops have closed, and supermarkets have stopped selling them............YEAHHHHHH RITE........and yes they were daffs, and was still on this mans property, and even if it was not on his property, people like to have a drive out in the countryside, even if they did not belong to him, or if they were wild flowers, who gives it them the right to deprive others from enjoying the beautiful countryside

Yeah but maybe you also didn't read that I said maybe he had no money. Daffodils aren't protected wild flowers. Wasn't trying to upset you, and he may have known the owner, sometimes its easy to misconstrue a situation. Daffodils are not really a natural part of the Caithness countryside, they are pretty much 'cut flowers' no sooner are they up and out they are gone, and at least the guy had an appreciation for flowers and was not out stealing cars ;)

highlander
30-Mar-07, 23:39
If he knew the owner of the flowers why was the owner looking so irate, when someone was stealing his daffs, like you say they are not a natural wild flower, so they were planted by someone

Jeemag_USA
30-Mar-07, 23:41
If he knew the owner of the flowers why was the owner looking so irate, when someone was stealing his daffs, like you say they are not a natural wild flower, so they were planted by someone

Sorry, didn't say they were not wild, said they were not a protected wild flower. Daffs grow wild all over Caithness but I don't think many of them are indigenous.

sweetpea
30-Mar-07, 23:59
Guess it's wrong to take them from outside someone's place but if they were in the middle of nowhere fair enough, maybe he stopped and picked them to propose to his love sitting in the car;) bit like taking stuff from beaches is it right or wrong?

Kenn
31-Mar-07, 01:29
Daffodills may not be native to Caithness but there are wild varieties within these islands.
The fact the some one could be so mean as to pick the flowers that another has planted is so low it beggars belief.
It is one of the things that makes Caithness so special in Spring to see all the daffies that folk have taken the time and trouble to plant along the roadsides,in the banks and on the cairns.
Have often reckoned that per square mile ye most probably have more than Holland!

JAWS
31-Mar-07, 04:08
LIZZ, like you, when I first came to Caithness I was amazed at the massive amount of Daffs, even in the most verges.
I don't know if there is any special reason why Caithness has so many but I certainly don't know of anywhere else in Britain like it.

lassieinfife
31-Mar-07, 08:04
Jaws you should come to Glenrothes in Fife, the council went mad years ago and planted millions of daffodil bulbs...most verges and bankings at this time of year are glorious....and they are usually out for Mothers Day lol...

Sandra_B
31-Mar-07, 08:31
If they were on the verge ho do you know they belonged to someone, they may have justbeen daffodils or something growing wild. Maybe the guy was visiting a sick relative and had no money, you never know ;) Maybe the owner was not giving him a talking to, maybe they knew each other?

You are so funny[disgust]

Sandra_B
31-Mar-07, 08:33
Yeah but maybe you also didn't read that I said maybe he had no money. Daffodils aren't protected wild flowers. Wasn't trying to upset you, and he may have known the owner, sometimes its easy to misconstrue a situation. Daffodils are not really a natural part of the Caithness countryside, they are pretty much 'cut flowers' no sooner are they up and out they are gone, and at least the guy had an appreciation for flowers and was not out stealing cars ;)

I'm dying laughing here...

The_man_from_del_monte
31-Mar-07, 13:27
my husband gave a blast of the horn

So we have a guy picking daffodils and your husband blasts his horn at him.... bang goes the peace and quiet of the countryside with motorists blasting their horns at flower pickers! did he really need to sound that horn and potentially disturb a lot of people / wildlife / nesting birds? I think not! Maybe the guy picking the daffodils was Morrissey, he loves daffodils you know.... could have been the owner of the house stopping off before he went into his house to take a nice fresh bunch into his wife..... could have been a lot of things but you guys go past blasting your horn at him automatically assuming he is a daffodil bandit! ;)

jinglejangle
31-Mar-07, 13:45
i agree with you highlander - we planted daffodils and tulips outside our garden fence and we live in the country - if someone stopped to pick them i would be out to speak to them to - and if i had to blow my horn to stop them i would do that too!!

Solus
31-Mar-07, 13:54
lots of " could " in there Man from, kind of like the free food thread, lots of "could of" and "maybe" but you never saw the other side of the picture there !

HomeFixit
31-Mar-07, 19:39
I agree with the man from del monte, I prefer to imagine the best in people rather than the worst.

In fact, just the other day I saw a similar scene as I drove into Castletown, but it was a wee boy, maybe 8 years old, picking a bunch of daffodils from the side of the road. My heart nearly melted and I thought what lucky mum is going to get them?!!

thickrodney
31-Mar-07, 20:48
Guess it's wrong to take them from outside someone's place but if they were in the middle of nowhere fair enough, maybe he stopped and picked them to propose to his love sitting in the car;) bit like taking stuff from beaches is it right or wrong?

as far as i know it is wrong

Ricco
01-Apr-07, 09:11
I am disgusted by this, just because we live in the country, why should people feel they can just help themselves to our property, does everything have to be fenced in!!! this i feel is just as bad as folk doing fly tipping in the country, gawd first they want to take our property, and dump thier rubbish for us to dispose off, which we would have to pay to get rid of, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Totaly agree with you here, Highlander. It takes a very selfish person to steal the beautiful Spring flowers that we all should be able to enjoy.

Yeah but maybe you also didn't read that I said maybe he had no money.

Hey, Jeemag - if the guy was driving a car he must have money. How else would he pay for his petrol. Anyway, you and I both know that there are a number of flowers and wild plants in the US that it is illegal to pick. Why is this? Because they have been picked so much by so many that they are now becoming scarce.

Imagine if everyone who is out walking through bluebell woods decides to pick and take armsfull of bluebells - gone in the blink of an eye. What happened to all of the Lady Slipper orchids that grew wild when I was a kid - gone! How about the thick carpets of Trilliums? Mostly gone.

Naw, look, photo, admire... and leave.

horseman
01-Apr-07, 10:12

Sorry mister man, but one of my fondest memories is of daffs in caithness.
Stirkoke, hempriggs ackergill, all the churchyards in wick and I am talking of many years ago when I was a very young lad.It made such a huge impression on me, that I am happy to say it is still with me. daffs and snowdrops, end of winter and start of spring in caithness for me..Very long and very happy memories for me.:Razz

DeHaviLand
01-Apr-07, 11:37
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, it is illegal to uproot or destroy any wild flower unless with the permission of the land owner or occupier. Its unlikely that picking a flower would count as destroying it if the bulb remains intact.

ice box
01-Apr-07, 11:47
well i would rather see someone taken them than some little runts coming along and kicking the heads off and getting traped into the ground .

htwood
02-Apr-07, 04:20
It's plain wrong to steal flowers, espec ones that have been planted near a house, whether inside the fence or not. Wrong, plain wrong, and the thief is lucky he only got a mad owner shouting at him.
And you can lie to yourselves about what conditions might have made it seem right, but its always wrong to steal.

Scunner
02-Apr-07, 10:51
Some of the daffs that are planted on the verges, have been put there by families who have lost a loved one at or near that spot. I have daffs beside my house in an effort to brighten up my street, and would, and have gone mad when anyone tried to pick them. If they came and asked for a bunch, then I would more than likely, give them some, and probably some from my garden as well.

Stealing is wrong. Remember the commandment - though shalt not steal.

Dadie
02-Apr-07, 11:30
My Granny used to steal my daffs every year. It used to make me and my hubby laugh. She took them to some of her friends that were ill or feeling down to cheer them up.She never asked but I never minded. this year all i have had is children (and i hope it is children) decapitating the tulips as they come up which makes me wild!! I wouldnt mind as much if they picked them to give to their mums etc..but they just pull the heads of and leave them on the grass whats the point of that?

Sandra_B
02-Apr-07, 15:52
It's plain wrong to steal flowers, espec ones that have been planted near a house, whether inside the fence or not. Wrong, plain wrong, and the thief is lucky he only got a mad owner shouting at him.
And you can lie to yourselves about what conditions might have made it seem right, but its always wrong to steal.

You're right. There is also a world of difference between theft and helping yourself to more than your fair share of free out-of-date pies, which is what some of the sarcastic posts in this thread are about.

porshiepoo
03-Apr-07, 19:05
Ah right, but how many of you have actually done exactly the same thing in the past? Huh? Come on fess up!

I've done it. :eek: When my kids were about 6 we were driving in Lincolnshire and there was a river embankment absolutely plastered in daffs (Lincolnshire is daff country) and we pulled over and picked a bunch each.
Might be wrong but they sure as hell looked good in my house!

danc1ngwitch
03-Apr-07, 19:31
people a few daffies outta the thousands around ain't guna break the earth balance.
You know i danna steal, don't get me wrong but i ain't plain outright mean and misreable either:roll:
i took half doz daffies last week, so sue me... live an let live you'll be way happier if you danna moan as much [lol]

Mister Squiggle
03-Apr-07, 20:38
Years ago, I can remember driving past a field and seeing one of the local "trendsetters" taking some arum lillies out of the ditch, to adorn his personally-designed, state-of-the-art house on the highest hill in our town. I remember thinking "that'd be right, steal some flowers and make out you've bought them when your trendy mates come around for Sunday brunch.." I was quite cross, but then a week or so later, the local council came past and sprayed the remainder with a herbicide and killed them anyway.
I suppose he got some pleasure out of them, and they were wild (and probably considered a noxious weed) and I was probably just annoyed because I assumed he could afford to go to a florist and was being a cheapskate ... The end result was that no one else noticed, the council killed them and the following year, even more seemed to come up. I felt silly for wasting energy on being cross, and he probably got that sticky, staining pollen all over his white carpets in the end.
The moral? I'm not sure - it's wrong to steal, I'd never take the daffs from our roadsides here and I like growing them myself in my own garden better. But if I saw someone harvesting a few from the verge, I'd probably just let em get on with it. What's a few daffs between friends??

porshiepoo
04-Apr-07, 11:10
The time of year has arrived when I carry in my car a pair of secataurs and water for any cuttings of plants I happen to see. Is this theft too?
I don't destroy the plant, just take a few pieces of it to grow on and plant at home. I took loads of branches off willow trees last year and they're coming on lovely now, be ready for planting out next year.
What about the trees in the forests? The ones that grow so close together they could do with thinning out a tad? ;)
Am I really a plant thief???????:(

katarina
04-Apr-07, 18:54

He sjhould have come into wick. there's that many daffodils around the town a bunch or two would never be missed.

paris
04-Apr-07, 19:59
The time of year has arrived when I carry in my car a pair of secataurs and water for any cuttings of plants I happen to see. Is this theft too?
I don't destroy the plant, just take a few pieces of it to grow on and plant at home. I took loads of branches off willow trees last year and they're coming on lovely now, be ready for planting out next year.
What about the trees in the forests? The ones that grow so close together they could do with thinning out a tad? ;)
Yes Poo you are a plant thief,,,,,,, me included !! Jan x

Lavenderblue2
12-Apr-07, 15:54
Today whilst driving along the Scrabster Road there were lots and lots of daffodils lying on the path and road - they had obviously been picked and discarded by mindless vandals - I'm with you Highlander, it really made me mad to see this destruction of natural beauty.

LB

Jeemag_USA
12-Apr-07, 19:50
What about the trees in the forests? The ones that grow so close together they could do with thinning out a tad?
Am I really a plant thief???????

Absolutely not, your a propogator or life and your helping the atmosphere by planting more, keep up the good work. ;)

Rheghead
12-Apr-07, 19:52
There was a man stealing flowers on the backroad to Reay from the verges yesterday. He seemed totally without shame.

golach
12-Apr-07, 19:58
What about the trees in the forests? The ones that grow so close together they could do with thinning out a tad?

Porshie, Ooops you may well be a crim already :eek:
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3202

Semiazas
12-Apr-07, 20:44
They're flowers...

As if it's not sad enough having social comment/waste of webspace about nothing...

It's not like a Peado moved in or someone took a dump on your front step...

Maybe it's just me.

Flowers.

:eek:

porshiepoo
13-Apr-07, 18:31
Absolutely not, your a propogator or life and your helping the atmosphere by planting more, keep up the good work. ;)

Thankyou. I am aren't I!:lol:
I'm the plant samaritan!!!!!!!!! I simply help out where I see overcrowding.

Paris: Yes, we're both as bad as each other eh! lol. My trees are still going strong by the way.

scotsboy
13-Apr-07, 18:39
I vividly remember my Grandfather deploying us in fields to secure some tatties, neeps or anything else that was on the go..........not stealing, just redistribution of wealth. The bath in his house was often used for salmon, and I have seen more than one Stag hanging from the rafters of the garage......all of which were procured by "dubious" means...........but those days seem to have passed.

Victoria
13-Apr-07, 23:15
taking cuttings reduces the carbon footpint ;)