PDA

View Full Version : Scam or Mistake

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-15, 01:50
We received a parcel addressed to my elderly Mother-In- Law that lives with us that contained three items of clothing that were her size and a paid invoice for forty odd pounds, but we didn't order them. Also in the parcel were lots of promotional literature.
Mrs M phoned the company and they said they must have made a mistake, but keep the items or donate them to a charity shop as it wasn't worth returning it to them.
I know it may sound cynical of me, but Mrs M did have a read through the bumph that came with the parcel and I wondered if this is just a marketing ploy to get literature into your house and companies are looking for the long term mail order customer.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this or is it a genuine mistake?

jo bowd
18-Jan-15, 09:52
If you or your mother-in-law have never ordered from this company ,how have they got her name and size? Some companies run more than one catalogue, maybe her name has been passed on. If it is a new marketing ploy then it's an underhand way of doing it and should be discouraged.

sids
18-Jan-15, 11:24
It's not the most vicious scam I ever heard of.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-15, 12:23
Perhaps scam was a strong, extreme marketing practise might have been more appropriate and because it seems it hasn't happened to anyone else it could have been a genuine mistake.

starfish
18-Jan-15, 13:00
would some one have ordered tem for mother in law as a xmas box but its just arrived

poppett
18-Jan-15, 16:21
If the item concerned was tights, then look out, you will be inundated with them.

weeker2014
18-Jan-15, 17:18
If the item concerned was tights, then look out, you will be inundated with them.

Was it delivered by ASCO. Was probably for the neighbour at the other side of the County.

rose123
18-Jan-15, 19:00
send the company an email, if they give the same reply then keep the items but keep the email incase any problems later on.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-15, 00:53
My mother-in law has done business with them before so she would be on their mailing list, but we did check to make sure that no member of the family had sent her a surprise parcel. It was a paid invoice. It probably was a genuine mistake because it seems no one else has experienced this type of marketing. ( I think I need to lighten up a bit)[para]

Dadie
19-Jan-15, 01:08
Sounds like a genuine mistake, as the goods were not ordered, and they fit(and don't want em back)...so enjoy the free clothing as it wont be a mistake they will repeat any time soon!
Hopefully they suit your MIL, so they can be used! A Santa elf mistake....ie glitch in the system.....allowed the "mystery " order through....or magic fairy looking for worthwhile cases.....etc.....whatever helps your conscience.....