PDA

View Full Version : Should car drivers wear helmets?

Rheghead
17-Jan-15, 14:29
Research shows that 48% of serious head injuries occur when driving or being a passenger in a car. But the same research shows that only 1% of head injuries happen while riding a bicycle.

If we were real about preventing injury then we should focus on mandatory helmets for car drivers and their passengers, no?

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/more-why-we-shouldnt-have-mandatory-helmet-laws.html

sids
17-Jan-15, 15:18
How many man hours are spent on bicycles, compared to the total in cars, over the whole population?

I think you need a helmet with wires on it.

Alrock
17-Jan-15, 19:29
Why not just stuff the cars with cotton wool?

Kevin Milkins
17-Jan-15, 19:38
I have always thought bicycle helmets are the most ridiculous looking head gear and probably wouldn't be persuaded to wear one. I think if the facts and figures where made available to all drivers and leave it up the individual to decide what level of protection suits them best.

Shaggy
17-Jan-15, 19:54
A tinfoil hat works in a wide variety of situations!

ZFC
19-Jan-15, 19:06
I have always thought bicycle helmets are the most ridiculous looking head gear and probably wouldn't be persuaded to wear one. I think if the facts and figures where made available to all drivers and leave it up the individual to decide what level of protection suits them best.

Cycle helmets are more useful than you think, and not always for the reason you would think.
Many years ago cycling through a rough part of a city I had half a house brick thrown at my head by a person at the road side, luckily it hit the helmet and made a right mess of that instead.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-15, 21:44
I don't have any doubt about the usefulness of cycle helmets, I'm sure they are fit for purpose and then some. I have always struggled with the look and not sure if I could overcome my preconceived idea that they look daft and find myself wearing one. Fortunately I don't have a push bike.
I bet your were extra glad that you had one on when someone threw a brick at you.
Welcome to the org ZFC

Gronnuck
20-Jan-15, 00:53
Mandatory helmets for car drivers and their passengers, no?

How would they be able to use their mobile phones if they were wearing a helmet? :D;)

tonkatojo
20-Jan-15, 11:41
How would they be able to use their mobile phones if they were wearing a helmet? :D;)

Probably the same as cyclists do with earphones for ipads/phones or whatever they listen to, anything so they do not hear the cars behind them and continue on their merry way.