PDA

View Full Version : How would all the different parties deal with this?

Southern-Gal
15-Jan-15, 16:09
For anyone who is interested in polititcs, anyone who has an opinion on which way we should vote and anyone who has seen first hand this type of situation.
How should the government deal with this situation?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11347454/Mother-and-daughter-weigh-a-total-of-43-stone-and-get-34k-a-year-handouts-but-refuse-to-diet.html

I will admit to not having a clue :)

weeker2014
15-Jan-15, 17:37
For anyone who is interested in polititcs, anyone who has an opinion on which way we should vote and anyone who has seen first hand this type of situation.
How should the government deal with this situation?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11347454/Mother-and-daughter-weigh-a-total-of-43-stone-and-get-34k-a-year-handouts-but-refuse-to-diet.html

I will admit to not having a clue :)

I would have put it down to having a mental illness and as such should be treated as so. They should receive the same benefits as is right for someone with a mental illness and should take into account their specific needs.

Southern-Gal
16-Jan-15, 00:50
You would not want to improve their situation? Happy to let them eat themselves into being bed bound then fund round the clock carers to come and feed them and clean up after them?
Who shoud pay the money to them? How would you stop this becoming more common for the long term?
Where should the money come from? How do they get enough money to be able to fund this lifestyle?
How would the different parties like to deal with this?

rose123
16-Jan-15, 17:31
Happy to die at an early age !! how sad.

Southern-Gal
17-Jan-15, 19:15
Yes very sad :(
Two generations have grown up with no aspirations, no ambition and no dreams. And this type of problem is escalating but what is to be done about it?
Does anybody know of any examples of this two generations ago? I doubt it very much.
But nobody likes to talk about it seemingly? Obesity and all its associated problems will not go away by pretending it is not happening!

Alrock
17-Jan-15, 19:40
pft... here we go again.... Eugenics anybody?

Southern-Gal
17-Jan-15, 21:51
No definitely not! Id be happy to improve the lot of the 'stock' we already have ;)
I believe the current system has made this trend flourish and that there should be changes brought about to prevent anybody elses child ending up like this through education and an overhaul of the benefits system to include perks for those who help themselves.
For a start tax anything ready made to the max just like they do with cigarettes and tobacco and subsidise healthy food staples like fresh fruit, veg, meat, fish and rice. And put basic cookery and nutrition on the syllabus for every child in the UK. Its all very well having a degree in business management if you cant manage your own health well enough to hold down a full time job ;)

focusRS
18-Jan-15, 11:40
Personally I would offer them a choice:
A/ a gastric band and a reducing benefit and mobility allowance as their weight and health improve.
B/ no benefits at all.
No doubt you will think this is harsh but you don't get results by being nice about it.

Southern-Gal
18-Jan-15, 18:51
I do think it is harsh but at least it is an opinion!
Disabling obesity needs to get out into the open and be aired before a solution can be found.
I also think that anyone who grows their own should be given some sort of help. Anything is better than nothing. Allotments for those who want them at least after all it is exercise, fresh air and healthy food at the end of it ;)