PDA

View Full Version : Electricity Outage - Emergency Catering Vans

weeker2014
15-Jan-15, 01:03
AndyW posted the following comment in a section on "Good Samaritans" during the electricity outage, and I do not want my question to overshadow praise for those who were so kind as to help those in need, so I thought a new thread would be more appropriate...

AndyW
Hi, One question , The food vans were a good idea , BUT for those out of the way away from a Food van and no ELECTRIC so no internet how were they meant to know the vans were there , As i know of people that dident here about them , i had electric and internet and still dident here about them till the 3rd day....

What I would like to know is, if you had electricity, why would you expect to be told about an emergency catering vehicle? Surely the priority would be to let those know who had no electricity. I am not saying the information disseminated was perfect, but I am pretty sure that advising you of its existance wouldn't be of high priority??

smithp
15-Jan-15, 15:52
Last time we had the power out for a good length of time (the phone still worked) the power company informed us at 8.55 am that we could get breakfast at Mackay's until 9.30. Might be alright if you live in Wick but useless to us. They phoned us a few times during the power outage but after it was repaired nothing, even though they had gone way over the time limit for compensation claims?;)

andyw
15-Jan-15, 16:21
was just making a point people around me or me , Dident know about the catering vans with no electric, and with modern phones they dont work with no electric anyway lol, Plus dident get a phone call or any notification from any one to say the catering vans were there ither

davth
15-Jan-15, 16:43
was just making a point people around me or me , Dident know about the catering vans with no electric, and with modern phones they dont work with no electric anyway lol, Plus dident get a phone call or any notification from any one to say the catering vans were there ither

Bit of a contradiction in terms there.
What did you want, a telegram by carrier pidgeon?
Why were you not prepared for the power outage yourself?
Get yourself a generator, if that is too much of a stretch then a camping stove would do the trick.

weeker2014
15-Jan-15, 17:35
Bit of a contradiction in terms there.
What did you want, a telegram by carrier pidgeon?
Why were you not prepared for the power outage yourself?
Get yourself a generator, if that is too much of a stretch then a camping stove would do the trick.

But andyw had electric. They seem to still be questionning why they were not told about a catering van when they had electric. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

andyw
15-Jan-15, 18:34
only i had electric as had generator but rest in our line dident have except next door as i supplied them with electric, The rest in line did not know about the catering van and Nor did i so couldent tell them ither and they were stuck with no electric and were still not told about the catering van , Just think your selfs lucky you were told about the catering van

barmar62
15-Jan-15, 20:37
They where a good idea but I didn't know about them until the power was back on, and there was one within walking distance of my house !

andyw
15-Jan-15, 20:56
Thank you Barmar62 My point exsactly ?????? i was 12 mile away from the nearest lol but still should of known about it

weeker2014
15-Jan-15, 23:09
Thank you Barmar62 My point exsactly ?????? i was 12 mile away from the nearest lol but still should of known about it

It's a poor show when people in the Highlands can't look after themselves for a couple of days with no power that they feel the need to complain about lack of knowledge on Free Catering Vans. When you live in the Highlands you should be prepared for things like power outages as believe it or not they are quite common with the weather we experience.

If I were you I would spend more time on Ebay looking for a camping stove and some warm blankets as opposed to complaining on here about something which is at best a bonus. I for one would prefer SSE to spend more time trying to get the electric back on than running to someone, with power, 12 miles away to tell them there are freebies on offer.

andyw
15-Jan-15, 23:22
For your refference weeker2014

I have Diesel Generator that a run the house with electric and the central heating Oil, I have Two Multi fuel Fires to keep warm and could cook on tops , I have Gas Hob so can cook on Hob, so i think i am well prepared for your information, I am not complaining just thought should be told if there are catering vans set up so could let niegbours know , That have not thought about power cuts lol

gmcborgie
16-Jan-15, 00:16
All I can do is laugh about SSE getting great publicity with these "Welfare Vans" that's all it was for! Not the housebound 70 year old who lives out west by Tongue whom phoned up to see when the power was likely to be back and was told to pop along to Thurso for a hot cuppa! Oh yes, great, lets go a 60 mile plus trip for a free cuppa, I think not!

barmar62
16-Jan-15, 21:02
WEEKER 2014

Think your missing the point, it would have been nice to know, as it was we ( all eight of us) were fine thanks with our candles, camping stove and home made hay box!