PDA

View Full Version : Which plants?

Liz
30-Mar-07, 14:27
We want a low maintenance garden and have an area which is quite shady due to two large shrubs although it does get the sun in late afternoon until early evening.
It gets really weedy so I wondered whether ground cover plants would be the best to plant and, if so, can anyone recommend which to get and where to get them?

Thanks!

cliffhbuber
30-Mar-07, 18:17
Hi Liz,

Variegated dogwood (mottled cream and green) might do the trick.
It grows here (Zone 3a in Canada) under an 8 foot hardy rogosa rose bush getting snippets of sun in the afternoon and early evening.
Grows from 4 to 6 inches high and is self-propagating....spreads out over time.

the best in growing!

Liz
30-Mar-07, 18:24
Hi Liz,

Variegated dogwood (mottled cream and green) might do the trick.
It grows here (Zone 3a in Canada) under an 8 foot hardy rogosa rose bush getting snippets of sun in the afternoon and early evening.
Grows from 4 to 6 inches high and is self-propagating....spreads out over time.

the best in growing!

Hello

Many thanks for the advice. I will check this out as it sounds ideal.

Victoria
30-Mar-07, 18:44
The dogwoods that we have here (Cornus) have lovely bare stems in the winter. I think they do tend to like the sun though.

Mahonia's are good in shade and Iris's for a bit of colour. Hostas re good as long as you dont have a problem with snails!

Other brilliant ground cover plants are
Begenia 'Silberlight'
Euonymun fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety'

or what about a lovely fern - Poltstichum setiferum

Liz
30-Mar-07, 20:26
The dogwoods that we have here (Cornus) have lovely bare stems in the winter. I think they do tend to like the sun though.

Mahonia's are good in shade and Iris's for a bit of colour. Hostas re good as long as you dont have a problem with snails!

Other brilliant ground cover plants are
Begenia 'Silberlight'
Euonymun fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety'

or what about a lovely fern - Poltstichum setiferum

Thanks Victoria!

Do you think these would stand up to the harsh Caithness weather?

Victoria
31-Mar-07, 00:22
They should do as i think they are all pretty hardy. Although I haven't gardened up there so it might be best to check with your local nursery before you part with your hard earned cash!