PDA

View Full Version : Aaaargh!! 20 year old kids?

brokencross
30-Mar-07, 09:51
All this talk of climate change, global warming etc. made me think and Eureka, I have found the cause.

It is my 20 year old daughter. (plus all the others like her around the world)

She regularly falls asleep with her TV on, all night!

Doesn't realise that lights switch off as well as on. Many times after she has been last up to bed, I go downstairs in the morning to find the kitchen and living room lights have been on all night.

I can come in, all the upstairs lights are on, a CD player blasting out. (nobody up there): go in the living room the TV is on (nobody there), go in the dining room...aaha, a daughter on the computer listening to the radio.

When in the house all by herself she can also manage to have 2 TV's switched on (her bedroom & living room) her CD player blaring out, most of the house lights on and all while she lies in the bath listening to her MP3 player through headphones. Funnily enough, the bathroom light is switched off and the place lit by smelly candles.

Turns the thermostat on the central heating up to sauna proportions while sitting in skimpy pajama shorts and a T-shirt in middle of winter. Looks at me in blank amazement when I suggest putting on a dressing gown or getting dressed in warm clothes.

Forever washes her Tesco uniform consisting of only 1 blouse and 1 skirt in the automatic washer that takes far bigger loads. Then transfers them to the tumble drier and just whizzes the timer round to 90 minutes when about 20 mins would do.

Doesn't realise bedroom curtains open to let in light during the day and on the other hand doesn't realise that living room curtains close at night when it is dark (and cold) to keep heat in. She is not very good with doors either, she can't seem to shut them after leaving the living room so everyone else is left in the draught. If I had a penny for every time I have had to shout DOOOOORRRR after her, I would be very rich.

In her defence she does her her bit to save energy by not washing any dishes.

To be truthful I am not bothered about what she is doing to the planet but more concerned about my electricity and gas bills. Does anyone else have their own cash generator for the energy companies.

_Ju_
30-Mar-07, 10:34
Your post did make me laugh out at times, when I recognized some of the behaviour I ( and most youngsters) have had at some time in their lives. I'll tell you when it stops: when we have to pay our own way. Maybe you could calculate how many kilowats the three lights left on for eiight hours (one night), multiplied by the number of nights per month and then by the price per kilowat and present her with the bill? Might switch on a light in her mind and a light off in the livingroom... ;)

take care and keep us posted...... I did enjoy reading your post!

Angela
30-Mar-07, 10:47
Yes brokencross, it's all very familiar, your post did make me smile!

I had 3 kids very like your daughter....one in particular managed to somehow inhabit every room in the house at the same time :roll: which was quite a feat really.

You could -as ju suggests - present your daughter with a bill for her estimated share of the electricity bills....:lol: just to make her aware of how expensive it is.

Now that my offspring all have their own fuel bills to pay, they are much, much more careful about turning appliances and lights off!

henry20
30-Mar-07, 12:11
I pay my own bills and must admit, I'm still shocking at leaving things on standby. I also grudge every penny I pay in electricity and once my tumble drier gave up the ghost I was looking forward to radically cheaper leccy bills. It hasn't happened :( I am still paying about £80 a month (heating is gas)and I don't know where its all going!! I blame hubby and the lodger :lol:

Ricco
30-Mar-07, 13:57
I really had a good chuckle over your thread - reminds me so much of my wife,e speically the heating. When I get home I nearly pass out 'cos of the heat. When friends come to visit thye usually wear shorts and T's.

Rheghead
30-Mar-07, 14:27
Brokencross, my suggestion would be to put her board up significantly until there is a visible change in energy useage.:D To be honest, she reminds me of how I was as a teenager.

Angela
30-Mar-07, 14:52
Brokencross, my suggestion would be to put her board up significantly until there is a visible change in energy useage.:D To be honest, she reminds me of how I was as a teenager.

Reminds me off myself as well, we just didn't have so many gadgets!

It was a rude shock when I left home and discovered that basic things like soap didn't appear by magic and had to be bought and paid for! :lol:

squidge
30-Mar-07, 14:53
With three of them in our house i often come home to Blackpools Illuminations.

And the word DOOR is never off my lips either [disgust]

Lucy
30-Mar-07, 14:54
For a moment there i thought you were talking about my kids then i realised you were lucky enough only to have 1 at this age whereas i have 2, 1 boy, 1 girl.

Mine are also adding to the ozone layer by growing penicillin in the old cups and also hoarding all my dishes & cutlery. i wish the government would bring out a law to state that it is compulsory for all children to leave home by the age of 20. mine are driving me crazy.[evil]

the nomad
30-Mar-07, 14:59
All this talk of climate change, global warming etc. made me think and Eureka, I have found the cause.

It is my 20 year old daughter. (plus all the others like her around the world)

She regularly falls asleep with her TV on, all night!

Doesn't realise that lights switch off as well as on. Many times after she has been last up to bed, I go downstairs in the morning to find the kitchen and living room lights have been on all night.

I can come in, all the upstairs lights are on, a CD player blasting out. (nobody up there): go in the living room the TV is on (nobody there), go in the dining room...aaha, a daughter on the computer listening to the radio.

When in the house all by herself she can also manage to have 2 TV's switched on (her bedroom & living room) her CD player blaring out, most of the house lights on and all while she lies in the bath listening to her MP3 player through headphones. Funnily enough, the bathroom light is switched off and the place lit by smelly candles.

Turns the thermostat on the central heating up to sauna proportions while sitting in skimpy pajama shorts and a T-shirt in middle of winter. Looks at me in blank amazement when I suggest putting on a dressing gown or getting dressed in warm clothes.

Forever washes her Tesco uniform consisting of only 1 blouse and 1 skirt in the automatic washer that takes far bigger loads. Then transfers them to the tumble drier and just whizzes the timer round to 90 minutes when about 20 mins would do.

Doesn't realise bedroom curtains open to let in light during the day and on the other hand doesn't realise that living room curtains close at night when it is dark (and cold) to keep heat in. She is not very good with doors either, she can't seem to shut them after leaving the living room so everyone else is left in the draught. If I had a penny for every time I have had to shout DOOOOORRRR after her, I would be very rich.

In her defence she does her her bit to save energy by not washing any dishes.

To be truthful I am not bothered about what she is doing to the planet but more concerned about my electricity and gas bills. Does anyone else have their own cash generator for the energy companies.

I think it starts from about 5 years old and only stops when they actually have to pay a bill. Your soooo right though.:lol: :lol:

brandy
30-Mar-07, 15:00
*laughs*
hubby is always onto me about leaving on lights!
im bad for it.. i try i really do.. but im so scatter brained i cant even think about it!
and the telly is never off... except at night.. as well as the pc.. im a bad bad person!
we have started turnig the heat off at night.. does that count?

airdlass
30-Mar-07, 21:42
Like all the others on this thread you described my kids to a tee. Made me laugh. I'm still waiting for them to find the dishwasher:D

sweetpea
30-Mar-07, 23:49
This thread makes me feel like I'm still a teenager too. I'm guilty of the blackpool illuminations and the wandering about half clothed cause I like the heat. I go to my mums where its like an icebox and have to wear all my clothes in bed, lol

Tugmistress
31-Mar-07, 09:28
haha absolutely my daughter to a tee too! unfortunately she is only 15 still so i got a few more years of yelling various stuff at her like 'lights' etc but luckily she doesn't have to think about the doors, i cheated, rule number one when we moved in was kitchen door to living room/hall always shut to keep dogs out of the kitchen, and the living room door in winter i hang a blanket over the gap so the dogs can go outside when they please (they can open the front door themselves) and it keeps lots of heat in :)