PDA

View Full Version : Lost drone (christmas present)

ak56
06-Jan-15, 19:34
Looking for a kind hearted soul.....my son has lost his drone while flying in Viewfirth Park, Thurso, he thinks it came down in the Duncan St. area, possibly further afield, just starting to get dark so not sure where it came down. If anyone should come across it in a garden, behind a shed etc. would they be so kind as to contact Morgan on 01847 892292, or hand in to the police station? He`s gutted as this was a Christmas present.....

Thank you very much.

Kevin Milkins
06-Jan-15, 21:11
I hope he finds it okay, what type is it?

unicorn
06-Jan-15, 21:29
Shared on facebook

*Martin*
06-Jan-15, 21:29
It may be an idea to make up a little card giving the info you've already posted and pop it through the letter boxes of the houses along Duncan Street (and possibly the first couple in Castlegreen Road) or get him to knock the doors?

It must be a fairly good drone to travel that sort of distance from the remote? Chances are there'll be some damage to fix!

Hope he gets it back. My kids got me a Husban q4 for Christmas last year and it's great!

unicorn
06-Jan-15, 22:23
I have pmd you hopefully with the whereabouts

Gronnuck
06-Jan-15, 22:31
I hope your son gets his drone back and it didn’t damage anyone or anything when it came down. Should your son’s drone injure someone you could be liable. It’s worth noting that the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) requires that drones should not be flown within 150 metres of built-up areas or within 50 metres of any building. There are lots of wide open spaces around Caithness without flying around a park in the middle of the town.

ak56
06-Jan-15, 22:32
Thanks for all replies, it has been recovered and I have a very happy 14 year old again (he`s a very lucky boy!) The range is very good however it just went too high and a gust of wind took it, slight bit of damage but he can`t stop smiling.
Thanks again for all help. Very grateful mum and son (after spending an hour in the dark after tea in wellies with torches, frozen to the bone!)

sids
06-Jan-15, 23:11
I hope your son gets his drone back and it didn’t damage anyone or anything when it came down. Should your son’s drone injure someone you could be liable. It’s worth noting that the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) requires that drones should not be flown within 150 metres of built-up areas or within 50 metres of any building. There are lots of wide open spaces around Caithness without flying around a park in the middle of the town.

There's always one!

ywindythesecond
07-Jan-15, 00:22

Gronnuck, this reply is actually to Sids
Sids
What Gronnuck says is good advice. Not a spoilsport, just a reminder how to use a drone responsibly within the law.

sids
07-Jan-15, 07:42
Gronnuck, this reply is actually to Sids
Sids
What Gronnuck says is good advice. Not a spoilsport, just a reminder how to use a drone responsibly within the law.

You guys are squares!

nicnak
07-Jan-15, 13:06
sorry I have to agree with Gronnuck on here , these things can be a torment as well as a pleasure, have to say if one came flying over my garden i would do my best to knock it out of the air, sorry but invasion of privacy and all that! take em into a field to fly it away from people in the future .

Gronnuck
07-Jan-15, 14:03
You guys are squares!

Yes sids I’m a square.

I’m pleased the young lad got his drone back. With the excitement of the festive season and the need to try out the new gizmo it is easy to overlook some of the pitfalls. Many of us have been there and worn the ‘T’ shirt whether it’s a new Carlton racing bike, a new pair of Fagan ice skates or a new Penny skateboard.

I have no wish to rain on anyone’s parade just urge caution. My best wishes to the lad and his family.

locini
07-Jan-15, 17:51

Gronnuck
Under cap 393 instruction 166 Small Unmanned Aircraft and 167 Small Unmanned Survalience Aircraft it actually depends whether you have a recording facility or not. As the rules are different for each craft.

If you do have recording onboard (Even if not using it at the time) then actually 150m of a congested area or 1000+person open air assembly and 50m of any person, building or vehicle outwith your control as defined by the CAA publications...

Not a built up area as you stated, built up and congested are completely different.

Im not trying to be funny or argue with you... Or even be pedantic... Just the terminology is completely different and therefore allows quallified operators to fly in these areas, obviously if satisfactoraly risk assessed and controlled pre flight...

I am in the middle of doing my training so far completed theory test just waiting for the weather to improve to do my practicle test... From what ive learned so far I would not have a problem taking off in the area in discussion above if I had satisfied myself with all my pre flight checks, and had adequate control of the area.

Also the above only applies to drones under a 7kg weight limit. If more then the rules/distances change again.

As far as the lad that lost then found his drone :) (Glad you got her back - it must be a horrible feeling and thankfully one thats never happended to me) it sounds as if it is a small toy rather than anything that has the potential to harm anyone or thing (It was taken by the wind which says a lot to the size and power it must have) never the less its not nice loosing a loved piece of Tech...

I do agree with almost all of you tho, that for those of us that do partake in the bigger models that do have the potential to cause harm more regulation is deffinately required (look at all the news stories both in UK and abroad regarding drones and near miss with real planes) Its a matter of time before some complete and utter idiot brings down a passanger plane or seriously hurts someone because he or she has absolutely no regard for the safety of others and the law.

There is absolutely nothing currently in place to stop anyone breaking the law and with enough money going out buying a >7kg rig and flying it where he/she wants... Even if it is right next to Heathrow main runway... Yes he/she you would hope get found out and charged but I see the problem as it being let to happen in the first place. IMO is not good enough, and needs to change.

unicorn
07-Jan-15, 18:42
After reading this post and then seeing the post "is this forum dying a death" I am not even surprised. A young lad trying to get back his Christmas present and all this we are perfect and know the rules rubbish in return. Reminds me why I so rarely even look in here any more.

locini
07-Jan-15, 18:59
After reading this post and then seeing the post "is this forum dying a death" I am not even surprised. A young lad trying to get back his Christmas present and all this we are perfect and know the rules rubbish in return. Reminds me why I so rarely even look in here any more.If that was aimed at me please re-read my post I was actually speaking to another member and addressed my post right to him at the top of my post. I responded to the lad who lost his drone in paragraph 7 and actually defended him and was happy to see he got it back... This forum may be dying but I would say more down to people who take others wrong and type posts like what you have just done.Just saying...

unicorn
07-Jan-15, 19:13
no more the fact that someone just wanted to retrieve a lost object and it turns into a big spiel on the rights and wrongs of flying the thing.

locini
07-Jan-15, 21:01
Baa the OP had already got the drone back so it was just a discussion when I posted,It's a hot topic at the min and in the news. This is the general discussion section or am in in the wrong place 😳

Wizzbang
07-Jan-15, 21:43
Some interesting fact locini.
I had seen these advertised at maplin and wondered about them.
I have also seen some amazing aerial pictures from these machines there was a chap on here that put up his pics on here a while back.
The ones taking photos and video are they recorded on the machine or are the pics transmitted back live to the op?

neilsermk1
07-Jan-15, 22:37
no more the fact that someone just wanted to retrieve a lost object and it turns into a big spiel on the rights and wrongs of flying the thing.
Just as a matter of advice for the future. Put your phone number on the drone to aid recovery if it gets lost again.
We aero-modellers have been doing this for years. You might also get your son to join the local club, it may expand his aero-modelling horizons

DMFB
07-Jan-15, 23:40
As my dear mother used to say to me some folk just like to make a drama out of a crisis. Honestly.

locini
08-Jan-15, 08:26
The ones taking photos and video are they recorded on the machine or are the pics transmitted back live to the op?

Now a days most do both, they have a micro SD card on the actual craft for recording picture and video in High definition (up to 4k video & as far as the camera skys the limit depending on what payload the craft can carry). But they also send live video feed back to a ground station (computer, tablet or such) so as you can see what the camera is seeing. This can be done various ways WIFI, Radio Transmission or Lightbridge to name but a few.

Via lightbridge tho you can get up to 1080p live HD feed back whilst actually flying... Amazing when you think about transmitting HD video the kind of distances these crafts are capable of flying all wirelessly and instantly... The actual end/usable video will be captured by the onboard SD card in up to 4k or below (Whichever settingings your craft is capable of and the pilot is using for the circumstances)

The advance of these things and how fast its coming about is actually incredible, now a days they are capable of taking off... flying a pre determined route... and landing themselves all automatically, they can now fly indoors (say in a warehouse or such) as some now have optical IR sensors, and as above the telemetry is just mind blowing.

Like I said in my earlier post tho - More regulation definately required as no doubt there will be some folk out there finding ways on "How not" to fly these things...

Dog-eared
08-Jan-15, 15:37
A similar thing from thirty odd years ago - I was working on the hill behind the big barn on the Dounreay road at Scrabster farm. A couple of guys turned up with a model airplane down by the Hill of Forss junction and started the engine. I carried on working then heard the R/C aeroplane overhead, flying high and heading West towards Brims. It didn't turn back...
They came up the hill and asked if I'd seen it come down in the whins, not wanting to believe me when I said no, it was flying fine as it passed overhead.
Turns out it was a new plane on its first flight and they'd filled the fuel tank right up.
I reckon it would have made it out over the sea before running out of fuel.

scorpion
08-Jan-15, 18:09
As my dear mother used to say to me some folk just like to make a drama out of a crisis. Honestly.
Just wondering if this is what you would be saying if it was flying outside your or your familys bedroom windows ?

Rheghead
08-Jan-15, 23:48
What ever you do, don't fly them near my precious wind mills or else, I don't want them damaging! :)

DMFB
08-Jan-15, 23:59
Just wondering if this is what you would be saying if it was flying outside your or your familys bedroom windows ?

I can save you from wondering the answer is yes.

Kevin Milkins
09-Jan-15, 00:43
What ever you do, don't fly them near my precious wind mills or else, I don't want them damaging! :)

I should think their could be a few wind mills blowing about the parish tonight.