PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours from Thurso !

karia
29-Mar-07, 22:35
You have 24 hours to show a stranger what makes Caithness special
to you...

What sights would you consider unmissable?

Forget the tourist books...your caithness..as off the wall as it takes.!

Where would you take the wee green guy for meals, and drinks!

Try to show him the best of Caithness..Try not to kill him..

Show him a real good time!

Will you get the tourist contract ???!!

karia
29-Mar-07, 22:41
First post,please be kind...Hello all !:Razz

poppett
29-Mar-07, 22:52
Welcome Karia and happy postings.

If I was tour guiding on Sunday then lunch would have to be at the Northern Sands Hotel buffet.

Any day a stop at Laidhay Croft museum not just for the history but the home baking and breakfasts at the cafe.

Two views not to be missed, from the viewpoint coming from the west into Thurso, and from away up the Thurso River, probably about beat three looking back towards the town and right across to Thurso East. (There is a painting of this scene in the reception area at Dunnett`s funeral home by a local artist). I have a Ronald Mackenzie print of Thurso harbour and Thurso East and it goes with me wherever I am to remind me of home.

karia
29-Mar-07, 23:16
Thanks Poppett,

The real taste of a place is something reserved for those who live there,and
that's exactly as it should be.

Those of us who come back to somewhere we ( or our loved ones) grew
up expect it to whatever we need it to be.

What I love about Caithness is that it holds no memories for me, It just is,
and that is, is very,very special in its own right..and I don't have to visit any
of the 'tourist' stuff.

It's just outrageously Gorgeous.

Even with the new Tesco...!

Rheghead
30-Mar-07, 00:33
A 7.30am booze up in the Grove is not to be missed.

JAWS
30-Mar-07, 00:41
Welcome Karia. How do you show somebody Caithness is Special? Well, You wait until there's a howling Northerly Gale with pouring horizontal rain and then you take them outside for half an hour.

That’s Caithness and that really is special, in fact it’s unique! :lol:

golach
30-Mar-07, 00:58
Meet my Paternal side of the Family

Jeemag_USA
30-Mar-07, 01:25
Places that always hold special memory to me.

A walk from Thurso Lighthouse to Holborn Head. Walk round to the back of Holborn head to the shelf rock and and hang over for a breathtaking vertical view. Walk a little further to see Clett Rock. Beuatiful views of Thurso, Orkney and Dunnet Bay.

A trip to Dunnet head to get the best view of the Pentland Firth and Orkney. Carry on east to Groats and do the walk up to the Stacks of Duncansby. Also walk Dunnet Sands and walk through Dunnet Forest.

Take a run out to Loch Calder, I always liked the north end, if its a sunny day just have a picnic and enjoy the lappin of the water!

A walk around the harbors at Scrabster and stop in the Upper Deck for a meal, I have so many memories of Scrabster Harbor I love the place!

Holborn Head will always be my favorite place, already told my wife when I kick the bucket I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered off there in a good stiff breeze :D

My second favorite place to be in the north however is on the Naver, I love the river valley beyond Bettyhill and the beach and the trout and sea trout fishing on the river is first class. Most preferred fly on the Naver - Dunkeld and Teal Blue and Silver!

Be careful crossing over the potholes before Holborn head though ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
30-Mar-07, 02:26
You have 24 hours to show a stranger what makes Caithness special
to you...

I don't think I could spend 24 hours discussing sheep and fresh air ;) (I could probably do 4 minutes on Tesco and maybe 1 minute on windfarms at a push tho)

newpark
30-Mar-07, 09:29
If it's a good day, sitting on the highest sanddune on Dunnet Beach and looking out to sea. So peaceful and very pretty.

squidge
30-Mar-07, 09:53
hmm 24 hours???

Lets see if its snowing or raining, watch the weather march across country,if , stand where you can see from reiss beach to Morven and take in the 180 degree skies. The Camps on a saturday night - all human life passes though here, Reiss beach first thing in the morning on a sunny day - kick your shoes off and paddle in the cold cold sea. Standing at John o groats with slate grey skies and the wind in your hair watching the waves whip the sea into foamy peaks, A staff canteen anywhere in Caithness listening to one of those conversations that go

"Ach you know Geordie..."
"nope"
"Aye he was married to so and so s ex wife"
"nah i cant place him"
" Aye his mother was the wife of the guy who left the lassie with the red heair and the glasses who worked in Caithness Glass"
"ohhhhh the one whos brother ran away with the sister of his ex wifes lover?"
"yes thats the one"
" oh yes i know HIM... THAT geordie!!!!!"

I used to listen to these conversations with baited breath wondering where they would go next!!! Fantastic!

Those aresome of the things that make Caithness special to me

Ricco
30-Mar-07, 13:59
Places that always hold special memory to me.

A walk from Thurso Lighthouse to Holborn Head. Walk round to the back of Holborn head to the shelf rock and and hang over for a breathtaking vertical view. Walk a little further to see Clett Rock. Beuatiful views of Thurso, Orkney and Dunnet Bay.

A trip to Dunnet head to get the best view of the Pentland Firth and Orkney. Carry on east to Groats and do the walk up to the Stacks of Duncansby. Also walk Dunnet Sands and walk through Dunnet Forest.

Take a run out to Loch Calder, I always liked the north end, if its a sunny day just have a picnic and enjoy the lappin of the water!

A walk around the harbors at Scrabster and stop in the Upper Deck for a meal, I have so many memories of Scrabster Harbor I love the place!

Holborn Head will always be my favorite place, already told my wife when I kick the bucket I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered off there in a good stiff breeze :D

My second favorite place to be in the north however is on the Naver, I love the river valley beyond Bettyhill and the beach and the trout and sea trout fishing on the river is first class. Most preferred fly on the Naver - Dunkeld and Teal Blue and Silver!

Be careful crossing over the potholes before Holborn head though ;)

I can only second what jeemag has stated - these would be my choices exactly.

the nomad
30-Mar-07, 15:06
The road out :lol:

Seriously watching a sunset from Dunnet Beach looking over to Thurso.

karia
30-Mar-07, 17:38
Thanks for your replies folks!
Some of you really made that live for me. Could almost taste the tang of
the sea salt ( not just because I had fish for tea), and feel the cold air
blowing, and freezing waves lapping....sorry,must go & put a sweater on,
maybe some gloves...& a hat!:lol:

engiebenjy
30-Mar-07, 22:40
A 7.30am booze up in the Grove is not to be missed.

Darn, Rheghead, beat me to it! When I read the first post, that's exactly what I thought of!

KitKat
01-Apr-07, 14:24
First an early morning walk on Reiss beach, then a wee drive, carefully avoiding John O Groats until it has had a facelift (sorry Groaters!) to Dunnet Head to show off the most northerly point and the terrific views. Maybe a quick lunch at the Schoolhouse or Northern Sands. Down the back of the Castle o Mey to the views of the seashore on one side and the castle on the other. Then a drive up to the high point behind Castletown where you can look down at the great views. A quick swizz at Dounreay and Scrabster harbour, then down the lonely Causemire and over to Lybster harbour and a cuppa at the tea room there. Over the Camster for a quick look at our pre history and a short stop about halfway down the Camster -Watten road to see the tremendous views. Maybe a wee stop at Loch Watten too. Back to Wick to see the Trinkie and the new gates at the harbour and finish off with a nice drop of Old Pulteney at a local hostelry. Any one would do as long as it is full of genuine 'Weekers' to get the right atmosphere.

Of course I've missed out Altnabreac, Loch More, Rumster Forest, Whaligoe, Thursa and a host of other fine places so I would have to persuade our guests to stay a few more days!!!