PDA

View Full Version : Fibre optic broadband now available in Thurso...

Cobra
03-Jan-15, 09:17
Just placed an order for an upgrade last night. Should be activated within two weeks. Just thought everyone would like to know that it's alive and kicking! :-)

Cobra
03-Jan-15, 09:20
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

...if you'd like to confirm that you're in an activated area!

Mr P Cannop
03-Jan-15, 17:03
thurso area cant take orders just now

theone
03-Jan-15, 18:23

Some areas of thurso are. Mine has been confirmed.

Cobra
03-Jan-15, 21:27

I placed my order last night, with activation happening within two weeks. Maybe the whole town isn't connected yet, but the checking service I linked to should confirm where any particular postcode is at.

Stig
04-Jan-15, 10:26
Certainly not available through BT anyway.

gillsbay
04-Jan-15, 12:06
Certainly not available through BT anyway.

It will be if you are in an enabled area.

Cobra
04-Jan-15, 19:27
I just checked if I can get BT Infinity, and I can. It must mean that some areas of Thurso are enabled where others are not, however, I would anticipate that it won't be long at all before all areas are activated.

Bridie
04-Jan-15, 19:29
I placed my order and it has been confirmed. Live in the centre of Thurso. Expected day of exchange to Superfast is 23rd of January.

Mr P Cannop
04-Jan-15, 19:43
am in angus court area of thurso

gillsbay
04-Jan-15, 20:43
I just checked if I can get BT Infinity, and I can. It must mean that some areas of Thurso are enabled where others are not, however, I would anticipate that it won't be long at all before all areas are activated.

Possibly for those whose line goes through a cabinet (hence FTTC(abinet)) lots of lines are connected directly to the exchange and while I believe there are plans for some FTTP(remises) those will take longer and there is no guarantee that all areas will be covered.
Also those who are not close to the cabinet may find that the speed increase may not be very much.

cazmanian_minx
04-Jan-15, 22:29
I checked for my phone number and it's changed from making a sniggering noise to saying 'we can't tell from your phone number, please call your provider', which is encouraging!

Moonboots
05-Jan-15, 23:00
As Cobra has said, only some of the cabinets are being activated.
The other cabinets will be switched on shortly due to work have not been completed yet in the cabinets and staggering the activation of connected lines.

Cobra
07-Jan-15, 13:11
Hey cazmanian - try that checking site using your postcode!

cazmanian_minx
07-Jan-15, 21:45
Hey cazmanian - try that checking site using your postcode!

Same result!

What I find really funny is that I have one residential line and one business line coming into the same house, both from the same provider. Running the speed tests at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/on the business line, I get a result of around 0.9MB and a message saying that the maximum possible speed for my area is 1MB, but if I run them on the residential line, I get 4MB!

Kodiak
08-Jan-15, 18:24
I just checked on that web site and my result was this :-

http://i.imgur.com/jEzC2Na.jpg

I am not too worried as I am getting nealy 20mb download as it is. On saying that I will order the Super Fast B/B when it comes available.

http://i.imgur.com/BdRyFRr.jpg

Loafer
08-Jan-15, 22:10
I just checked BT with my Thurso address, I know it is available but says I am Melvich! Think I will call them!

Kodiak
08-Jan-15, 22:18
I just checked BT with my Thurso address, I know it is available but says I am Melvich! Think I will call them!

Check again, but with your Telephone Number. You will get a much more accurate answer that way.

Mr P Cannop
17-Jan-15, 12:55
just placed my order today and will get it on the 12 feb 2015

Mr P Cannop
17-Jan-15, 15:37
who else has this in thurso ??

Cobra
18-Jan-15, 17:07
I wonder why it takes so long to switch.

Mr P Cannop
18-Jan-15, 17:26
am not sure

Metalattakk
19-Jan-15, 14:14
As Cobra has said, only some of the cabinets are being activated.
The other cabinets will be switched on shortly due to work have not been completed yet in the cabinets and staggering the activation of connected lines.

Are ALL the cabinets being activated eventually? I'm on Cabinet 5 and getting an 'Under Review' result from the checker.

Cobra
20-Jan-15, 23:27
I don't see why not - if the infrastructure is there it makes no sense to ignore all the additional income to begin paying off the cost of putting it in.

Metalattakk
21-Jan-15, 15:20
Been told that cabinets 5 & 6 are due for upgrade later on in the programme, due to the low number of premises on these cabinets.

See, that's what you get when you buy a house in a fancy new estate. [lol]

JonHend
26-Jan-15, 23:49
Use the link below to find out if you can get BT Infinity:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

The main information you will be looking for is that it tells you that FTTC is available for your number.

If, at the top of the results page it says "Telephone Number 0184789xxxx on Exchange THURSO is served by Cabinet xx", then you should be able to get BT Infinity.

If it says "Telephone Number 0184789xxxx on Exchange THURSO" and gives no cabinet information, you get your telephone line directly from the exchange which is bad news. Until they get round to installing streetside cabinets for properties with exchange lines, you will not be able to get BT Infinity. Unfortunately, I suspect you will have a long wait.

I am from Thurso but now live in the centre of Inverness. Despite BT Infinity being available in Inverness for almost 2 years now, I am still unable to get it due to having an exchange line. I have been told that exchange lines are a low priority