PDA

View Full Version : If Westminster is so bad.....

youwhat?
28-Dec-14, 03:55
If Westminster is so bad then why does Alex Salmond so desperately want to be part of it again? Could it be the very generous expenses? Could it be the pension that will follow? Could it be.........his ego???
What is the answer? After all he spent the best part of two years claiming it was nothing more than an instrument of oppression in Scotland.
And now he can hardly conceal his enthusiasm for it!
Perhaps our very own "pirate lassie" can elucidate?

sids
28-Dec-14, 08:53
He fancies being part of a Government.

windymiller
28-Dec-14, 12:04
.......part of a real Government.

captain chaos
28-Dec-14, 13:22
If you cant change something from the outside why not try and change it from the inside?

Oddquine
28-Dec-14, 15:34
If you cant change something from the outside why not try and change it from the inside?

To a certain extent, I think. Isn't that why Nigel Farage and 23 UkIPers are sitting in the EU Parliament at the present moment........or is that different, according to some....and doesn't count..... because they aren't Alex Salmond or SNP?

Can't see though he'd be wasting his time batting his head up against the brick wall of Westminster obduracy in an effort to change attitudes and the entrenched system....but, depending on numbers might make a fist of getting something almost useful out of the Smith Commission as it makes its way through the Houses of Parliament, and along with Plaid and the Greens, make an attempt to cut down on the continued trashing of the poor to provide largesse for the richer among us.

After all.five years into the austerity regime which was meant to have balanced the books by 2015...and all the Coalition has done is double the National Debt......so it patently isn't working.....and it won't work......even if it is a NuLabour Government doing austerity from 2015, as they have promised, as opposed to a Tory one!

sam09
28-Dec-14, 15:50
Unlike the small minded egotistical Sock Puppets on here, Mr Salmond is a man of principal and always wants what is best for Scotland.

whaligoechiel
28-Dec-14, 17:09
Unlike the small minded egotistical Sock Puppets on here, Mr Salmond is a man of principal and always wants what is best for Scotland. well said and the snp will get my vote we were sold off in the on the yes vote by Westminster parties and it will come back to haunt them

PantsMAN
28-Dec-14, 21:39
Some of the recent Guardian polls seem to suggest that there will be interesting things happening next May vis a vis SNP and Labour in Scotland. Even today's Sunday Times suggest that groups are switching from labour to the SNP...

neilsermk1
29-Dec-14, 00:01
well said and the snp will get my vote we were sold off in the on the yes vote by Westminster parties and it will come back to haunt them

yeah yeah "and send them homeward" and all that guff. Cant you get it into your heads that the we Scottish voting public were not taken in by the pipedream of the biggest ego in Scottish politics.

ywindythesecond
29-Dec-14, 01:11
Unlike the small minded egotistical Sock Puppets on here, Mr Salmond is a man of principal and always wants what is best for Scotland.
Mr Salmond is not a man of principle. Mr Salmond was caught trying to change the official record of proceedings in Holyrood. He claimed 18,000 jobs in renewables in Parliament when even Scottish Renewables were only claiming 12,000, and he tried to change the record by the back door. He was obliged to apologise. If he was a man of principle, he would not have done it in the first place, and would have resigned when caught out.
ywy2

Gronnuck
29-Dec-14, 12:01
Whatever your politics and whether or not you like Alex Salmond surely you have to admit he's done more to shake up politics in the UK than anyone in decades. Even if the SNP gain half as many Labour seats as much of the media predict Westminster will be changed. Successive governments have made a pig's ear out of the economy and the administration for years; I can't see Alex Salmond or the SNP making it worse and who knows they might carry enough influence to make things a wee bit better.

badger
29-Dec-14, 18:52
Salmond was caught misleading too often and seemed to think public money was his own petty cash - all those expensive hotels and remember when he forgot his trousers?
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/alex-salmond-accused-cover-up-after-2348758 . Delusions of grandeur. If he had won the referendum how long before he declared himself President I wonder?

Gronnuck
29-Dec-14, 22:02
Salmond was caught misleading too often and seemed to think public money was his own petty cash - all those expensive hotels and remember when he forgot his trousers?
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/alex-salmond-accused-cover-up-after-2348758 . Delusions of grandeur. If he had won the referendum how long before he declared himself President I wonder?

The man is no worse than the six hundred odd politicians who sit in the House of Commons. Most have lied, many have fiddled their expenses and some have been prosecuted. Why single out Alex Salmond? At least he is interested in Scotland’s future which is more than most.

Rheghead
30-Dec-14, 19:02
If Westminster is so bad then why does Alex Salmond so desperately want to be part of it again? Could it be the very generous expenses? Could it be the pension that will follow? Could it be.........his ego???
What is the answer? After all he spent the best part of two years claiming it was nothing more than an instrument of oppression in Scotland.
And now he can hardly conceal his enthusiasm for it!
Perhaps our very own "pirate lassie" can elucidate?

As i understand it, he wants to be part of a political movement for independence. If he doesn't stand then he won't be part of that political process. If there is huge support for the SNP in 2015 and if the UK votes to leave EU in 2017 when votes in Scotland indicated the opposite then someone needs to negotiate for Scotland to leave the Union. I cannot think of any person who is best qualified for that role. BTW, he will be donating his Westminster salary to charity. I can't see messrs Cameron, osborne or Miliband doing that in a hurry.

golach
30-Dec-14, 20:10
As i understand it, he wants to be part of a political movement for independence. If he doesn't stand then he won't be part of that political process. If there is huge support for the SNP in 2015 and if the UK votes to leave EU in 2017 when votes in Scotland indicated the opposite then someone needs to negotiate for Scotland to leave the Union. I cannot think of any person who is best qualified for that role. BTW, he will be donating his Westminster salary to charity. I can't see messrs Cameron, osborne or Miliband doing that in a hurry. Show me where he stated he was donating his MP's pay to charity. He is not even elected to Parliament yet maybe he won't be.

Rheghead
30-Dec-14, 20:48
Show me where he stated he was donating his MP's pay to charity. He is not even elected to Parliament yet maybe he won't be.

I already have done on FB, yet you chose not to read it.

david
01-Jan-15, 12:01
I already have done on FB, yet you chose not to read it.

And he also auctioned off all his gifts from his time as FM for charity to the tune of 42k.