PDA

View Full Version : Home made elctricity.

Bertieboy
18-Dec-14, 23:48
HI, anyone produced their own wind/solar power to their own homes?
I would like to have a go, but don't know where to start.......

windymiller
21-Dec-14, 11:33
Have PM'd you.

Better Out Than In
22-Dec-14, 15:01
In order to obtain FITS you need to use an accredited system, fitted by a licenced installer. For wind, with anything above a few kW, you will likely need to have a minimum of 100m to nearest residence, for some designs considerably more. For photovoltaic and to some extent solar thermal you need a decent size area facing South. If roof mounted you need a sound roof as it adds to wind drag. You will also need planning permission. Most installers will obtain this for you. Solar cells are much easier to get consented. They will also usually visit your site and make a priced recommendation for free but may be tied to particular manufacturers so worth doing some investigation yourself.

Be a bit careful as the claims some manufacturers make and the models they have tested for certification may be somewhat special than production models. So a purchased wind turbine may not have same noise characteristics as indicated on the Noise Certificate or photovoltaic panels may have a lower output. Of course if you could prove this then you could claim it does not meet specification. Wind turbines have a shorter pay back than solar cells; and the latter tend to deteriorate with time although less so with more recent designs.

As well as environmental benefits one thing you can be sure of is that the cost of energy will keep rising, so even if FITS is less than what it was payback is pretty assured.

SkozkrHorgr
23-Dec-14, 13:17
I'm thinking of going down this route too on a new build, incorporating renawbles into the design itself and trying to keep as much "off-grid" as possible, any recommendations for suppliers of Solar Electric in the area?

badger
23-Dec-14, 18:24
Just remember that the poor who can't afford these things are paying for your nice income via their bills. If that doesn't give you a problem - fine.

Metalman
24-Dec-14, 01:25
Why can't you build a fence type array and connect it to a switch near the consumer unit. And switch from one to the other to power your house. With-out all this certification? As I see it only the switch needs to be installed by a pro. This is assuming you don't want paying for any over production. Just a thought!

SkozkrHorgr
24-Dec-14, 10:51
Just remember that the poor who can't afford these things are paying for your nice income via their bills. If that doesn't give you a problem - fine.

Whos this one aimed at? I'm just looking to be as self sufficient as possible and am not interested into supplying back into the grid to make money.

badger
26-Dec-14, 12:30
Whos this one aimed at? I'm just looking to be as self sufficient as possible and am not interested into supplying back into the grid to make money.
So you won't be claiming FIT? That's fine. It's been mentioned in this thread and most people with solar panels or turbines do claim it. Those who do get paid for what they use as well as surplus sold to the grid.