PDA

View Full Version : HIGHLAND COUNCIL BUDGET SAVINGS OF £55m NEEDE - ANY IDEAS ?

Green_not_greed
18-Dec-14, 14:49
Given that THC have identified the need for £55m of savings over the next 4 years without being able to put up council tax, I thought it worthwhile to start a thread of ideas which fellow orgers may have to save a few pennies to the council.

As an initial idea I'd like to suggest that OWNERS as well as OCCUPIERS should pay full council tax. Most of us will fall into both categories, so no change. But for people who own more than one house in the Highlands (either as holiday homes or buy-to-let properties) then I think its only fair that the property owners should pay the full council tax on each. If occupiers are different people then they should contribute too.

Comments and other ideas welcome !

GNG

:)

rob murray
18-Dec-14, 15:06
the SNP government must scrap the council tax freeze freeze, given Oil turmoil and revene shortfalls, re instate full council tax now or let things stand, pay off essential public sector workers, lose their tax inputs / less money available, or await the 2016 election when this nonsense ( middle class bribery ) will have to stop as we wont be able to afford essential services.

rob murray
18-Dec-14, 15:22
A 5 year pay freeze on salaries over 50k : compulsory pay cuts to council employees on 80k plus ( ie 100k down to 85k, 90k down to 80k ) statuatory redundancy payment system to be used, scrap the huge pay offs to useless buffoons. Cap overnight stays ie £30 b and b, £10 meal allowance : stop the damn gravy train !!!

gerry4
18-Dec-14, 15:36
i think it is a good idea that all houses should pay council tax, irrespective of occupation. Not sure how applicable it is here but big estates should also pay into the council coffers & not be able to use foreign ownership as an excuse.

Might be nice that more of these renewable energy schemes were owned by local communities, so that profits are ploughed back into the communities & not to large landowners & foreign owned companies.

I also hear that councillors get free lunches etc. Those kind of perks need to go. Might not save a huge amount but shows the spirit of 'all in it together' even though Westminster has forgotten about that.

sids
18-Dec-14, 15:59
They should install Gaelic road signs and build new offices for themselves.

rob murray
18-Dec-14, 17:20
They should install Gaelic road signs and build new offices for themselves.

Good shout !

windymiller
18-Dec-14, 17:21
Given that THC have identified the need for £55m of savings over the next 4 years without being able to put up council tax, I thought it worthwhile to start a thread of ideas which fellow orgers may have to save a few pennies to the council.

As an initial idea I'd like to suggest that OWNERS as well as OCCUPIERS should pay full council tax. Most of us will fall into both categories, so no change. But for people who own more than one house in the Highlands (either as holiday homes or buy-to-let properties) then I think its only fair that the property owners should pay the full council tax on each. If occupiers are different people then they should contribute too.

Comments and other ideas welcome !

GNG

:)

I think the Council are looking to save £64m not £55m.

And, I think owners of second homes are obliged to pay full council tax allready.

Green_not_greed
18-Dec-14, 17:43
I think the Council are looking to save £64m not £55m.

And, I think owners of second homes are obliged to pay full council tax allready.

No, not if they are let out to others. Its only the occupiers who pay council tax at the moment. Not sure about holiday homes, but that's certainly the case of those who let properties.

Green_not_greed
18-Dec-14, 17:47
Might be nice that more of these renewable energy schemes were owned by local communities, so that profits are ploughed back into the communities & not to large landowners & foreign owned companies.

I also hear that councillors get free lunches etc. Those kind of perks need to go. Might not save a huge amount but shows the spirit of 'all in it together' even though Westminster has forgotten about that.

The renewable schemes have "community funds" controlled by local communities. Few have been ploughed back into the community - most have funds set aside and no use for them. Highland Council could certainly take all community benefits from these schemes, but most of them would then be spent around Inverness and not where the communities are. That's a bit of a two edged sword. Using the unspend community funding could certainly boost Highland Councils coffers a bit, but the communities would most certainly lose out.

sam09
18-Dec-14, 19:38
The new Labour Leader in Scotland Jim Murphy (run from England) stated that his party will continue with the Council Tax Freeze.

YummyMummy
18-Dec-14, 20:32
Holiday Homes are classed as businesses and subject to Non Domestic Rates. Owners therefore pay business rates and separate rates for refuse collection. Buy-to-let properties are the owners responsibility for Council Tax if unoccupied, but tenants take on the council tax responsibilities when they take on a rental property. I expect most landlords would put up their rents to cover the extra costs if they became liable for council tax in respect of their tenants :-(

gerry4
18-Dec-14, 22:21
Holiday Homes are classed as businesses and subject to Non Domestic Rates. Owners therefore pay business rates and separate rates for refuse collection. Buy-to-let properties are the owners responsibility for Council Tax if unoccupied, but tenants take on the council tax responsibilities when they take on a rental property. I expect most landlords would put up their rents to cover the extra costs if they became liable for council tax in respect of their tenants :-(

I don't know, where does business rates go, central government? Also for small businesses can't they get exemption from business rates?

Just found this on a Scottish CAB site

"Holiday homes and second homesFurnished holiday or second homes will be liable for council tax but will have a 10% - 50% discount because no one lives there on a permanent basis."

I don;t know Highland councils rules of this

Southern-Gal
19-Dec-14, 00:13
i think it is a good idea that all houses should pay council tax, irrespective of occupation. Not sure how applicable it is here but big estates should also pay into the council coffers & not be able to use foreign ownership as an excuse.

If landlords had to pay council tax on houses that are rented out they would either sell them off which would cause a shortage of rental properties and cause people on lower incomes even more problems. Or they would simply stick the extra expense back on the rent which would have the same effect of the people who are the least able to pay for it.
Also of course the council would have to pay for all of its own council houses.
I cant see how that would help anyone though I suppose it would create more jobs for pen and mouse pushers in collecting the new revenue which would mean more wages paid out by the council.
So all in all surely this would be a lose lose move for the council?

Kenn
19-Dec-14, 01:41
Kick the whole lot out for not listening to the electorate, drastic I know but it might save a few £s scottish!

rob murray
23-Dec-14, 16:01
The new Labour Leader in Scotland Jim Murphy (run from England) stated that his party will continue with the Council Tax Freeze.

Reinstating real value council taxation and abandoning the freeze is hardly a vote winner for a party on the ropes now is it ?

Mother Superior
25-Dec-14, 20:19
I don't suppose the NHS comes under the Highland Council. If it did we could move the CGH managers on, and save a million, then use some of the savings to give 'golden handshakes' to new Consultants.

God can move in mysterious ways if only you would let him.

Oddquine
26-Dec-14, 00:26
Why drag everyone down to Inverness, or elsewhere, for meetings, racking up expenses over the year? In this internet age....and I'm darn sure there are no councillors not internet connected...... why is there no facility for video conferencing?

sids
26-Dec-14, 10:35
Kick the whole lot out for not listening to the electorate, drastic I know but it might save a few £s scottish!

Use your vote to do that.

badger
26-Dec-14, 12:37
Governments and councils don't seem to know the difference between want and need. If they looked at all expenditure on a need only basis they might waste a lot less. Thousands spent on rubbish new website no-one likes (or needs), tens of thousands on expensive consultants producing rubbish reports we don't need, council officials travelling all over the area for consultations, charrettes etc. not needed. The list is endless.