PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Marr's History programme

piratelassie
15-Dec-14, 18:47
Been following Andrew Marr's TV programme "History of Britain" recently. A map of Europe had the Brittish Isles named as England. Just thought I'd mention it.

oldchemist
15-Dec-14, 20:18
Apparently it became the traditional name after England beat the Germans in a couple of wars.

sids
15-Dec-14, 20:21
Been following Andrew Marr's TV programme "History of Britain" recently. A map of Europe had the Brittish Isles named as England. Just thought I'd mention it.

The Whattish Isles?

gerry4
15-Dec-14, 22:16
I listen to the Goons Show on Radio4 Extra. Find it odd that Harry Secombe who I thought was a proud Welshman repeatedly say England instead of Britain & call himself english. As the Goons wrote the scripts themselves there would of been no need.

Just thought it oddly interesting view of nationality in the 50's

Kevin Milkins
15-Dec-14, 22:44
I listen to the Goons Show on Radio4 Extra. Find it odd that Harry Secombe who I thought was a proud Welshman repeatedly say England instead of Britain & call himself english. As the Goons wrote the scripts themselves there would of been no need.

Just thought it oddly interesting view of nationality in the 50's

I just looked up the meaning of the word goon and it said "a stupid or deliberately foolish person", so that figures.;)