PDA

View Full Version : HGV Speed Limit to increase

Kodiak
08-Dec-14, 16:13
The HGV dual carriageway speed limit will increase from 50mph to 60mph in England and Wales on April 6th 2015. I wonder if this will also come to pass in Scotland in the near future?

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/hgv-speed-limit-to-increase-on-dual-carriageways_65719?utm_source=motoring.co.uk&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&src=motoring

tonkatojo
08-Dec-14, 20:19
The HGV dual carriageway speed limit will increase from 50mph to 60mph in England and Wales on April 6th 2015. I wonder if this will also come to pass in Scotland in the near future?

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/hgv-speed-limit-to-increase-on-dual-carriageways_65719?utm_source=motoring.co.uk&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&src=motoring

I am convinced they already travel at that speed the now, not all mind and not just dual carriageways.

sids
08-Dec-14, 22:32
Don't think I ever got much more than 80 mph out of a lorry.

Shaggy
08-Dec-14, 22:39
I am convinced they already travel at that speed the now, not all mind and not just dual carriageways.

Well you are totally barking up the wrong tree. UK based hauliers vehicles are limited to a maximum of 56mph by law and this is checked and tachos are also recalibrated regularly. If you see a truck zooming past you then it is either an illegally modified vehicle, a foreign truck or an Irish truck as they don't seem to think the UK law applies to them. End of the day, it makes no odds how fast the truck goes because the drivers' tacho info is downloaded every month and if they are found to be breaking the law by speeding then they will be dealt with appropriately. As for 60mph on a dual carriageway, it is not needed and 50mph is ample. 60mph on a motorway is a mere 4mph faster than what trucks are legally allowed to do so not even worth the hassle and cost of altering speed limiters and recalibrating tachos. Too little, too late as per usual.

sids
08-Dec-14, 23:02
Well you are totally barking up the wrong tree. UK based hauliers vehicles are limited to a maximum of 56mph by law and this is checked and tachos are also recalibrated regularly. If you see a truck zooming past you then it is either an illegally modified vehicle, a foreign truck or an Irish truck as they don't seem to think the UK law applies to them. End of the day, it makes no odds how fast the truck goes because the drivers' tacho info is downloaded every month and if they are found to be breaking the law by speeding then they will be dealt with appropriately. As for 60mph on a dual carriageway, it is not needed and 50mph is ample. 60mph on a motorway is a mere 4mph faster than what trucks are legally allowed to do so not even worth the hassle and cost of altering speed limiters and recalibrating tachos. Too little, too late as per usual.

You obviously know your stuff.

When did tachograph records alone become sufficient evidence for a speeding conviction?

Shaggy
09-Dec-14, 15:40
You obviously know your stuff.

When did tachograph records alone become sufficient evidence for a speeding conviction?

24 years as a truck driver, clean licence too.

Where did i say tachograph records alone are sufficient evidence for a speeding conviction?

If a driver infringes tachograph rules & regulations then they are breaking the law. Most infringements are dealt with by the company itself by getting tachographs analysed and the infringements recorded and a copy of them given to the driver to acknowledge but repeated infringements can and will lead to prosecution.
It's not about who can drive faster or longer without a break, it's all about personal and public safety

tonkatojo
09-Dec-14, 17:15
24 years as a truck driver, clean licence too.

Where did i say tachograph records alone are sufficient evidence for a speeding conviction?

If a driver infringes tachograph rules & regulations then they are breaking the law. Most infringements are dealt with by the company itself by getting tachographs analysed and the infringements recorded and a copy of them given to the driver to acknowledge but repeated infringements can and will lead to prosecution.
It's not about who can drive faster or longer without a break, it's all about personal and public safety

Well I take my hat off to you, I also have driven psv hgv cars vans and plant off and on for past 35 years and have held a clean licence 0 points ever since I earned it way back in 1967, as for trees and bark they have nothing to do with my statement, just my observations on the public highways and over the years.

weeker2014
09-Dec-14, 21:18
Well you are totally barking up the wrong tree. UK based hauliers vehicles are limited to a maximum of 56mph by law and this is checked and tachos are also recalibrated regularly. If you see a truck zooming past you then it is either an illegally modified vehicle, a foreign truck or an Irish truck as they don't seem to think the UK law applies to them. End of the day, it makes no odds how fast the truck goes because the drivers' tacho info is downloaded every month and if they are found to be breaking the law by speeding then they will be dealt with appropriately. As for 60mph on a dual carriageway, it is not needed and 50mph is ample. 60mph on a motorway is a mere 4mph faster than what trucks are legally allowed to do so not even worth the hassle and cost of altering speed limiters and recalibrating tachos. Too little, too late as per usual.If the law is 50mph, why would they be legally driving at 56mph? So r u saying they are all breaking the law every time their taco says 56mph? By my calculations an increase of 50mph to 60mph is exactly 10mph and not 4. Basic mathematics. However if your implying that hgv drivers will drive 6mph faster than the law I expect they will all be doig 66mph instead, again a basic mathematical calculation of 10mph.

Shaggy
09-Dec-14, 22:35
If the law is 50mph, why would they be legally driving at 56mph? So r u saying they are all breaking the law every time their taco says 56mph? By my calculations an increase of 50mph to 60mph is exactly 10mph and not 4. Basic mathematics. However if your implying that hgv drivers will drive 6mph faster than the law I expect they will all be doig 66mph instead, again a basic mathematical calculation of 10mph.

56mph is speed limit on motorway as i mentioned. Basic reading literacy.

weeker2014
09-Dec-14, 23:40
56mph is speed limit on motorway as i mentioned. Basic reading literacy.

I used my basic literacy and took it to Wikipedia, which states motorways are already 60mph for those lucky enough not to have a limiter fitted. I think making it 60 on Dual Carriageways will make a big difference to clear traffic on short stretches or on much busier Dual Carriageways.

sids
10-Dec-14, 00:01
So does the 56 mph limit only apply to Shaggy?

weeker2014
10-Dec-14, 09:34
So does the 56 mph limit only apply to Shaggy?Yeah but looks like he prefers holding everyone up by just doing 50

Shaggy
10-Dec-14, 17:07
Yeah but looks like he prefers holding everyone up by just doing 50

So you think a speed limit is the speed you have to drive at then? arrogance and stupidity are obviously the key words in your vocabulary and driving habits. I'm surprised the examiner passed you with that mindless thinking. When you gain a little bit more experience and knowledge of driving then i'll listen to your smart (not) comments, until then go play with your matchbox cars. As for sids, keep trolling buddy, you excel yourself with every comment.

sids
10-Dec-14, 18:32
Hey- I gave up driving before you started, Mr 24 Years!

weeker2014
10-Dec-14, 19:50
Hey- I gave up driving before you started, Mr 24 Years!

Yeah I agree Sid, and 14 years since my test for me too, which I might add I only received one minor on. I am also comfortable that the test was much tougher when I did it as I had a theory element to overcome, unlike Mr 24 years. Maybe Mr 24 Years is due a reset. I'm sure there is a part in the practical called "making progress", and that you would be aiming for a fail if your actions unduly held up other drivers.

JNMWick
10-Dec-14, 20:16
Hopefully Scotland will follow suit with this, as previous posters have said this will help keep the roads moving that little better. Unless of course the inconsiderate 'truckers' decide to try an pass each other @ 60mph on said stretch of dual carriageway and end up blocking it for miles, most frustrating thing on the roads that!!
But generally yes that would be a good thing upping the limit to 60mph. Be as well doing it on all 'A' class roads too.

sids
10-Dec-14, 21:31
Yeah I agree Sid, and 14 years since my test for me too, which I might add I only received one minor on. I am also comfortable that the test was much tougher when I did it as I had a theory element to overcome, unlike Mr 24 years. Maybe Mr 24 Years is due a reset. I'm sure there is a part in the practical called "making progress", and that you would be aiming for a fail if your actions unduly held up other drivers.

I sat the tests in Wick. Couldn't really say how hard it was or wasn't. Some people had awful difficulty getting through. I passed Class 2 at second attempt, then Class 1 at first attempt.

As for speed limits and making progress, the tester had me doing well over the 40 mph limit.

I moved out of lorry driving. I was pretty well crap at it and you can get more money for less work in other jobs.

sids
10-Dec-14, 21:33
Unless of course the inconsiderate 'truckers' decide to try an pass each other @ 60mph on said stretch of dual carriageway and end up blocking it for miles, most frustrating thing on the roads that!!
But generally yes that would be a good thing upping the limit to 60mph. Be as well doing it on all 'A' class roads too.

Don't confuse an inconvenience with a real problem. If you're behind them doing 60, you'll get there.

weeker2014
10-Dec-14, 23:02
Don't confuse an inconvenience with a real problem. If you're behind them doing 60, you'll get there.Better than them all trying to overtake each other at 50 like Shaggy will do. That is what causes frustration and accidents.

Shaggy
11-Dec-14, 00:13
Neither of you are smart nor funny and neither of you have a clue as to how i conduct myself as a driver of a heavy goods vehicle so go run along and troll someone else. yaaawwwnnnnn

sids
11-Dec-14, 07:39
i conduct myself as a driver of a heavy goods vehicle

Better to keep your hands on the wheel.

I do remember that much about it.

weeker2014
11-Dec-14, 08:48
[QUOTE=Shaggy;1105077]Neither of you are smart nor funny and neither of you have a clue as to how i conduct myself as a driver of a heavy goods vehicle so go run along and troll someone else. You would know as you are an expert troll

JimH
12-Dec-14, 21:55
Having passed my Driving test on a bull nose Commer lorry in Nov 1959, and still holding a HGV 1 + Driver Qualification Crap (Sorry I Mean Card) I need to put the record Straight. You can have your Vocational licence suspended on Tacho evidence alone. Especially for Speeding and other infringements, like using a mobile phone on the move. The Traffic Commissioners have the power and DO use it. Read the results of the T C's Public hearings on the internet.
As for the Speed Limits - The speed that any vehicle is driven on the road is governed by the experience of the driver and the road conditions -OR SHOULD BE.

sids
12-Dec-14, 23:06
You can have your Vocational licence suspended on Tacho evidence alone. Especially for Speeding and other infringements, like using a mobile phone on the move.

How does the tachograph know you're on the phone?

camor
13-Dec-14, 10:40
Lorries overtaking each other on dual carraigeways is the right thing in my book. Cars can overtake on single carraigeway (if safe to do so) quite easily. Duals seem to be used now by all the nuggets that will follow LGV's for 20miles at 45mph then turn into grand prix drivers when the dual come along. Frustrating for lorry drivers who are driving legally and those of us that are prepared to to overtake (when safe to do so) on single carraigeway.

tonkatojo
13-Dec-14, 11:21
Lorries overtaking each other on dual carraigeways is the right thing in my book. Cars can overtake on single carraigeway (if safe to do so) quite easily. Duals seem to be used now by all the nuggets that will follow LGV's for 20miles at 45mph then turn into grand prix drivers when the dual come along. Frustrating for lorry drivers who are driving legally and those of us that are prepared to to overtake (when safe to do so) on single carraigeway.

It is the inconsiderate drivers that attempt to overtake a vehicle driven on its limiter to maximum and one trying to overtake has a vehicle that is 1 mph faster and takes the length of the dual carriage way to overtake that is so inconsiderate although perfectly legal.

camor
13-Dec-14, 12:30
There is nothing inconsiderate about it, they are carrying out a safe, legal manoeuvre. If it is an inconvenience to you, learn to drive properly and don't get yourself in that position or suck it up.

sids
13-Dec-14, 12:49
It is the inconsiderate drivers that attempt to overtake a vehicle driven on its limiter to maximum and one trying to overtake has a vehicle that is 1 mph faster and takes the length of the dual carriage way to overtake that is so inconsiderate although perfectly legal.

Just leave the house five minutes earlier.

tonkatojo
13-Dec-14, 20:24
There is nothing inconsiderate about it, they are carrying out a safe, legal manoeuvre. If it is an inconvenience to you, learn to drive properly and don't get yourself in that position or suck it up.

A perfect example of attitude of those type of inconsiderate drivers. Just what is stating an opinion got to do with me learning to drive correctly ? and how can I not get in that position when following the hgv that has a capacity of 1mph faster than the one in front manoeuvring bumper to tail so as to occupy the outer lane before a car can use the extra lane to overtake, and takes the length of the section of dual carriageway to pass the slightly slower hgv, that is an example of inconsiderate driving and sucking up the I'm aright attitude a well, but as I said perfectly legal but no consideration for other road users.

tonkatojo
13-Dec-14, 20:35
Just leave the house five minutes earlier.

It would not matter if I left 10 minutes earlier if I came across this type of driver and traffic, but I suspect you are aware of that and can't help saying what you think is not a solution. In my opinion HGV should be only allowed to occupy the nearside lane and use lay bys to allow their fellow HGV's to pass if they are quicker on dual carriageways and second lane only for overtaking on motorways, but that is only my opinion as is my version of inconsideration to other road users.

JimH
14-Dec-14, 16:46
How does the tachograph know you're on the phone? They are looking to put EVERY electronic device through the little black box they call a Tachgraph, and along with other devices they even know when you scratch your behind.

tonkatojo
14-Dec-14, 19:45
They are looking to put EVERY electronic device through the little black box they call a Tachgraph, and along with other devices they even know when you scratch your behind.

I personally think they should put technology in the form of speed limiters that govern the maximum a vehicle can do at the beginning of any speed restriction IE 20 mph 30 mph 40 mph and all the way to the national speed limit and not lifted till out of the applicable zone with extreme penalties for messing with the limiter. I suppose the emergency vehicles could have an exemption fitted for blue light use.