PDA

View Full Version : Bt broadband

riggerboy
08-Dec-14, 14:59
Anyone else's broadband dropping out and coming back on, mine seems to be dropping and reconnecting constantly for the last few days ???...

Stack Rock
08-Dec-14, 18:03
Yes today until after lunchtime. Thankfully its back to normal now.

Aestus57
08-Dec-14, 18:40
Thought it was just me..... it's been dropping out regularly for over a week now! Getting really fed up with it :~(

riggerboy
09-Dec-14, 11:22
Everytime my fone rings and I answer it the broadband goes off, called them today from the land line, sounded like someone was rubbing crisp bags, they foned me back stating it was a problem in the exchange and won't get it sorted until the 11th

Stack Rock
09-Dec-14, 17:42
Further to my previous post. It went off again last night. However every time I made or received a phone call it went back on and the phone line was very crackly. I reported the problem and they said they checked the line and it was Ok. They suggested I plug into the main phone socket which is in the corridor (I was using a spur from this) I did this and it worked !!!!!

djpaulgc
09-Dec-14, 20:45
To RiggerBoy and Stack Rock

From my knowledge and experience through working in telecoms for many years, the most probable, and normal, cause of both of your problems is that you both need to get a replacement broadband filter. These are the little boxes that the cable from your broadband router goes into before it goes into your phone socket in the wall. These due need replaced from time to time. They can be normally be bought in most hardware stores for a couple of quid, or order them online.

This is what they look like https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=broadband+filter&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zlCHVJCgOobB7AaZyoGwAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg

Hope that helps, it should solve that particular problems

Stack Rock
09-Dec-14, 21:13
Thanks for your tip but I tried a new ADSL box and it didn't fix my problem

djpaulgc
09-Dec-14, 21:20
That wouldn't normally fix the problem anyway, it would be the filter that needs changed. You could try any amount of routers/modems and replace the phone box on the wall too, and still get the same interference if the broadband filter that goes between the router/modem and the socket in the wall is not working properly.

Bradcon
09-Dec-14, 23:05
seems to be a problem with bt as mines has been going off and on for last 2 weeks.

djpaulgc
09-Dec-14, 23:19
I am with BT and mine has been the same too unfortunately, and been slower than normal when it has been working :(

But the interference and crackling on the line is nearly always caused by a faulty broadband filter. Its not always the cause of the interference and crackling but 9 times out of 10 it normally is.

I hope BT do sort out the connection problems in this area as well tho cos its bloody awful and frustrating at the moment

riggerboy
10-Dec-14, 18:28
Tried everything they asked me today, disconnected everything and plugged only the phone in, still the same, they are sending out an engineer on Monday, fingers crossed

Bobinovich
10-Dec-14, 21:21
Are you sure you unplugged EVERYTHING from your phone line? Sky installations are quite often connected to the phoneline, sometimes remote gas/oil meters, & intruder / fire alarm systems too - all of which should have DSL filters connected.

I had a similar problem recently at a clients premises - I replaced everything... router, cables, & filters to no avail. I then removed the faceplate on the BT master socket to access the test socket and within seconds their alarm system went haywire as it too was connected. We replaced the faceplate & reset the alarm, and I'm waiting to find out if the alarm company have been in to replace the filter within the alarm circuit &, if so, to find whether that's resolved the problem of the broadband disconnecting when the phone rings.

fraz
19-Dec-14, 22:14
Hello Riggerboy
I have been suffering from identical problems with bt broadband just wondering if they sorted your's and what was wrong ? Thanks

riggerboy
20-Dec-14, 00:37
hi Fraz, im offshore at the moment, but the wife says its working, but ill find out when i get home, they said it was the exchange

fraz
22-Dec-14, 13:08
Cheers Riggerboy.