PDA

View Full Version : Tom Maclennan- service

Nwicker60
05-Dec-14, 17:44
"Just tell them he was one of the greatest"- son Stuart quoting brother Craig's words at service
IT was standing room only for mourners who gathered at the Sinclair Rest Rooms in Wick recently for the funeral service of Sutherland man Tom Maclennan.
They heard him described as a loving husband, father and grandfather, a man o' many pairts and interests - in the eulogies by speakers.
Tom, of 9 Barbara Place, Wick, passed away on November 19 at the Town and County Hospital, Wick.
Tracing his life, Rev. John Nugent said that Tom whom he described as "a very special man", was born at Rogart, in December 1936, the fifth of six sons to Kenneth, a gardener and Rachel Maclennan. Tom began his working life as an apprentice painter but following his national service in the Royal Air Force, decided on a change of career and entered Leith Nautical College to train as a radio operator.
After qualifying, Tom took a job at the Post Office radio station at Wick which mainly handled traffic with the fishing industry during its heyday years but also dealt with emergencies involving fishing vessels. Tom and his colleagues relayed Christmas greetings to and from trawler crews unable to be with their families, during the festive season. He retired in 2013.
But what of Tom Maclennan the man? Rev. Nugent invited someone well qualified to give an insight into his life - son Stuart who reminisced warmly about his dad, with humour at times.
He said his dad was essentially a country man at heart, a man with "a tremendous love of nature", trees, birds, wild flowers, a fondness for the wild places and mountain scenery in Scotland. Tom relished the time he spent in the hills, whether with his walking buddies or dragging, sometimes literally, his family with him on rainy, windswept and just occasionally, sunny Munros.
Stuart recalled his dad as a very practical man, great for getting things done. Like his brothers and father before him, he could turn his hand to "just about anything", whether it was mending sheds, painting gates or growing vegetables, "and always with a certain sense of style".
"I found an old tie of his once" said Stuart "which didn't seem quite as smart as his others".
'I know' replied his Dad adding: "That is an old one I keep to wear when I'm washing the car'
Tom, said his son, was fortunate to have a great many friends and interests and loves in his life. He met his wife-to-be Janet Swanson in the bar of Mackays Hotel in Wick. They eloped to Dornoch and tied the knot in a marriage that spanned 46 years.
Stuart told mourners: "Janet kept him right and If cross words were spoken between them, I am sure dad probably deserved them at the times."
Tom loved good company and good conversation and good times. He had a fondness for a good dram and knew how to pour a generous measure.
Tom was a man who loved seeming more youthful that he really was For a while he was driving pensioners around in the Old Parish Church minibus..not letting on that he was, at least as old as many of his passengers.
A man of many interests, Tom played squash, bridge and lawn bowls and dabbled in the stock parket although Stuart admitted: "He was better at some of these activities than others."
Stuart continued: "Throughout Tom's illness, we were fortunate and grateful to have the kind and thoughtful support, not just of friends and family, but some wonderful health professionals, from the ambulance staff at the very onset of his illness, to Macmillan at every stage and the staff at the Town and County Timberly unit at the very end. Our thanks goes out to each of them."
He was known to his family as a husband, a father, a brother, an uncle, and a friend, a contributor to charities and community causes and in his later years "a much-loved roguish grandfather".
While it was true that his dad had known worry and sadness across some of his 78 years, Stuart said that perhaps this was nothing more than that which comes to those with the good fortune to live a long life and the good sense to surround themselves with friends and family.
Stuart said "I asked my brother, Craig, to help me with my words today. He told me 'Just tell them dad was one of the greatest" which he was. He was much-loved and will be much missed".