PDA

View Full Version : Staying in Hospital

cuddlepop
28-Mar-07, 10:01
when your on your old age pension and are in hospital for any lenght of time does your pension get deducted?If so by how much.Or do you have to fill in a form and then pay it back.
Mum.s been in for five weeks and hopefully will get home this weekend.
She still has all her bills to pay so I hope its not much as she can hardly afford to eat some weeks:(
I agree a percentage is acceptable as she didn't have to feed herself but was kept well stocked up with biscuits and juice etc.

golach
28-Mar-07, 10:14
I believe, your Mum's pension will be safe, as she has not been in long term care, i.e going into a Nursing Home for the rest of her forseeable life.
My Father was in a Nursing Home for the last four years of his life and the cost of that was funded by his pension and his attendance allowances, topped up by the Social Services, he was then allowed a sum for pocket money.
I will stand corrected by the more knowledgeable on the .Org

cuddlepop
28-Mar-07, 10:31
I hope your right Golach.:)
I know on the DLA benifit they want notified if you go into hospital or respite care.
Benifits are just to boggling to understand.

poppett
28-Mar-07, 11:06
Benefits Agency say they must always be advised of any changes in circumstances. When my husband was in hospital last year the admission form made it clear the ba would be advised of his stay, but they still expected me to contact them directly. The rule seems to be if the stay is longer than 6 weeks at any one time then there would be deductions considered.

In the case of residential/respite care the social services do a financial assessment as to the ability of the client to pay. They only ask about rent and council tax but if you put in a list of regular outgoings with proof they will take that into consideration. As you know the utilities still have to be paid, especially over the winter months.

The ba are supposed to be more approachable now but when my husband was due his pension there was a confusion about what he was due so they stopped all his payments and it took us six weeks to get it sorted out.

Carers uk website have a forum for questions just like yours, cuddlepop. Hope your mum gets home ok and they leave her money alone!