PDA

View Full Version : David MacBeth Sutherland

Kevin Milkins
29-Nov-14, 21:56
Is their anyone in Caithness an authority on the works of the above artist? whilst looking for information on another artist I came across the work of this artist and would like to authenticate an unsigned piece of his work.

Kevin Milkins
30-Nov-14, 17:54
I'm surprised no one has any knowledge of this local artist.

David Sutherland was born at Wick. He studied at the Royal Scottish Academy under Charles Mackie and at Edinburgh College of Art (ECA). Awarded the Carnegie Travelling Scholarship, Sutherland used it to travel to Spain, France and the Low Countries. After the war he taught at ECA and, with Mary Newbery and Dorothy Johnstone, he helped revive the Edinburgh Group. In 1924 Sutherland and Dorothy Johnstone were married. Towards the end of the decade Sutherland often painted in the north-east with colleagues William Gillies and John Maxwell. Upon his appointment as principal of Gray’s School of Art in 1933 he and Dorothy moved to Aberdeen. Sutherland continued to paint on both the west and east coasts. The Sutherlands retired to east Aberdeenshire in 1948. David Sutherland is mainly known for his Scottish and Breton landscapes. He also painted portraits

embow
01-Dec-14, 11:08
He started out training to be a solicitor in Wick then changed tack on going to Edinburgh before World War 1. D M Sutherland was also the 'poster boy' for the 16th Royal Scots other wise known as McCraes Battalion raised in Edinburgh in late November 1914. Also known as the Sportsman Battalion due to the number of professional footballers from Hearts Raith Hibs Falkirk Dunfermline and many other amateur clubs and their fans as well as other different sports. D M was responsible for the recruiting posters around the city. You may have seen an item on the news last week about the naming of the area in front of the Usher Hall now known as McCraes Place. The recruiting office was in Castle St in a hotel called Mackay's Hotel. Yes, it was run by a family from Wick.

Kevin Milkins
01-Dec-14, 14:44
Thank you embow for that info. The painting sold for considerably more than I could more than I could afford anyway, but it was an intriguing subject.

Thecrofter
24-May-20, 20:19
He started out training to be a solicitor in Wick then changed tack on going to Edinburgh before World War 1. D M Sutherland was also the 'poster boy' for the 16th Royal Scots other wise known as McCraes Battalion raised in Edinburgh in late November 1914. Also known as the Sportsman Battalion due to the number of professional footballers from Hearts Raith Hibs Falkirk Dunfermline and many other amateur clubs and their fans as well as other different sports. D M was responsible for the recruiting posters around the city. You may have seen an item on the news last week about the naming of the area in front of the Usher Hall now known as McCraes Place. The recruiting office was in Castle St in a hotel called Mackay's Hotel. Yes, it was run by a family from Wick.

I know this is an old thread but I feel it is important to correct the mistake about my family. The Palace Hotel in Edinburgh was run by my Great grandfather Hugh Mackay from 1907 until his death in 1929. HE WAS DEFINITELY NOT FROM WICK. He was born and brought up on the family croft in Laid on Loch Eribol Sutherland. DM Sutherland was a life long friend of my grandfather