PDA

View Full Version : (Need a little help) How do you prove...

Angel
28-Nov-14, 22:26
Firstly...thank you for the replies and PMs regarding the first 2 related posts - 'Stair Regulations and 'Tripping'.

It seems I have identified a set of stairs/steps where several people have tripped and injured themselves.

So, after visiting them, taking photographs, measuring them for rise, tread and go and finding different measurements for each of them, they are indeed truly dangerous. But how does one prove it? Who would you get to prove such a thing?

I first thought of planning, but they would have to have been passed by planning!

So who next?

Thank you in advance... Angel

windymiller
28-Nov-14, 23:21
Perhaps if you could explain your interest.

If said stairs are recently constructed and passed by building control (before and after construction), and design by planning, any defect would need to be put down to poor maintenance.

If said stairs are of an age then land owner, or local authority should be approached.

But as I'm not sure where you are going with this, as I said, perhaps you should explain.

sids
28-Nov-14, 23:24
Health and safety gone mad I call it.

Angel
29-Nov-14, 22:59
Said steps are recent (perhaps in the last 5 years) they are in perfect condition structurally but are built incorrectly. They have not moved and need no repairs.
In Victorian times stairs/steps were built with one step different from the rest on purpose to trip potential burglars/robbers during their getaway... If these stairs were built 2003 they would be deemed dangerous as well as illegal.
Said steps have claimed several victims, but they are afraid to pursue any claims due to them. I cannot disclose the victims or the steps in question as there could be a flood of claims against those responsible for them be them valid or not. So, who do I get/talk to re proving their dangerous state...
Angel...

windymiller
30-Nov-14, 11:32
Said steps are recent (perhaps in the last 5 years) they are in perfect condition structurally but are built incorrectly. They have not moved and need no repairs.
In Victorian times stairs/steps were built with one step different from the rest on purpose to trip potential burglars/robbers during their getaway... If these stairs were built 2003 they would be deemed dangerous as well as illegal.
Said steps have claimed several victims, but they are afraid to pursue any claims due to them. I cannot disclose the victims or the steps in question as there could be a flood of claims against those responsible for them be them valid or not. So, who do I get/talk to re proving their dangerous state...
Angel...

I don't think you will have much joy with a claim, Scottish Building Regulations are quite lacking in specification risers and going being uniform. also depends on the application af the stairway, ie; Access to single dwelling, Multipul dwellings, or Commercial premises.

http://www.pearstairs.co.uk/building-regulations-scotland/

Angel
30-Nov-14, 22:25
The steps in question are at a commercial premises and I have learned whilst in Inverness this afternoon that 3 further people have tripped and injured themselves on the very same steps. I seem to have stumbled onto something (no pun intended)...
So how do I prove they are dangerous?

Angel...

davth
01-Dec-14, 10:33
take out a claim against them

neilsermk1
01-Dec-14, 13:58
Speak to Peter Black Field Operations Department HSE Inverness he should be able to help you out on this matter.

Angel
11-Dec-14, 13:47
Another casualty of said same steps...

Angel...