PDA

View Full Version : Greeeeedy people!

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 20:03
Just back from Lidl and can't believe the greed / ignorance of some people. Some of you probably know that Lidl sometimes put the stuff that's about to go out of date on the shelf just after the checkout so customers can help themselves..... well, I'm behind this guy at the checkout with a woman and child behind me when one of the shop staff deposits a load of pork pies and things on the shelf.......

Immediately the woman behind me instructed her child to get it... so he runs over and piles "everything" that was sitting there into three carrier bags, the lot..... everything, the whole kit and kaboodle.... packets of pork pies, prepacked sandwiches, bacon, cakes..... the works......

I'm standing there looking at the mother as if to say "you greeeeedy so and so" but she was oblivious to my gaze appearing more concerned that her child (about 10 year old) had managed to get the entire lot "take it out to the car" she bellows from her position in the queue.

The girl on the checkout was also looking at this child as if to say "what the heck" but kept silent. Not the first time I've seen this happen in Lidl, there are "hardcore" vultures that go in and buy a bottle of milk and do just the same thing and, you know what? It's mostly the same scenario with the mother sending the child over to the free stuff armed with carrier bags whilst she stands in the queue with one cheap item....

Last time I thought "oh well, they must really need it" but when I saw them drive away in an almost new Land Rover Discovery.................

Honestly, the greed of some people never ceases to amaze me and "what" a way to educate a child.... so much for sharing eh? The "me me me" generation.

stekar
27-Mar-07, 20:37
Guess that's why they can afford the Land Rover Discovery.....

Agree fully with your post, there are some greedy and ignorant people. What an example to set to a child.

Have been lucky myself to get a couple of freebies from Lidl, they usually put a sign up saying two items only.

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 20:52
they usually put a sign up saying two items only.

They'll probably end up doing that here too thanks to the Über greediness of some people.... looks like some folk need a "sign" for everything in life "do not jump off the cliff" "do not eat 100 cakes at once" "do not use your hairdryer in the bath" cause they sure as heck ain't blessed with smarts or manners :eek:

Julia
27-Mar-07, 20:58
I can imagine these 'hardcore vulture' types, you should of spoken up and at the very least wrestled a pie from her greedy mitt!

This mentality really annoys me too, what bare faced cheek!

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 21:09
I can imagine these 'hardcore vulture' types, you should of spoken up and at the very least wrestled a pie from her greedy mitt!

This mentality really annoys me too, what bare faced cheek!

Ignorance is bliss Julia, water off a duck's back to these people...... I used to have a real thing against queue jumpers back in the day with my stock reply of "yeh, we all just want to" to someone who would nip in front of you with the "I just want to" line.... I've had it out with stroppy assistants, I even once whacked a bloke on the head with a honedew melon when he barged in front of me to grab one....... I ain't going to war over a few packets of free pork pies though ;) I wouldn't stoop so low to pick up so little.

mareng
27-Mar-07, 21:58
You should have tried to lead the rest of the customers into a chant of:

"Who ate all the pies? - Who ate all the pies?" while all pointing at them.

Who knows - with the way nicknames stick in small communities ............... Something may have stuck :)

"Look.... here come the Piemans"

He-he!

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 22:04

Who knows - with the way nicknames stick in small communities ............... Something may have stuck :)

He-he!

More like "look.... here comes that mad bloke with the London accent who sings who ate all the pies he's mad you know?"

"These southerners coming up here complaining about our pie grabbing ways... what a cheek"

I'd rather stay quiet ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
28-Mar-07, 00:53
"pies! Pies! come get your free pies"

<runs for cover>

KILTIECAULDBUM
28-Mar-07, 11:17
Can't agree more.
There sure are some greedy, ignorant people about these days!!
I was in Tesco last week when I came across a section in a chiller that they seem to have set aside for reduced price food items. As I have a back problem I had to stand back a bit to see the lower down items. While I was standing there, a lady (I think she said she was a barsteward?) walked over, squeezed between me & the shelves totally blocking me & started prowling through all the items slowly, one at a time, as if I was invisible or something!! [evil] I was so amazed & disgusted by her antics, I just walked away. It wasn't as if the shop was so busy she never noticed me. It was early, just after it opened & there were probably about 5 people in the whole shop.
I wish now though I had said something, but at the time I was just so taken aback by her sheer hard neck, greed & ignorance, I was just lost for words.
She was certainly going to be "first come first served". Maybe the "steward" was in a rush to get back to her "bar"!!![lol]

Penelope Pitstop
28-Mar-07, 12:00
They're ignorant.......and should be pitied.

They were obviously at the back of the queue when good manners were handed out.........and they're free as well. lol

emb123
28-Mar-07, 12:13
Sad fact of life that some people are like that - I imagine at times that it's worse now than it used to be but people have always been like that.

I remember as a child (a long time ago) going to jumble sales and some children were apparently trained to dive in, under and snatch at anything their mum pointed at (preferably just to steal it), and you had to watch out for old ladies who were downright vicious with elbows and brollies.

In this world it seems that being nice just makes you into a victim. What a cheery thought!

south view 7
29-Mar-07, 10:25
Guess that's why they can afford the Land Rover Discovery.....

Agree fully with your post, there are some greedy and ignorant people. What an example to set to a child.

Have been lucky myself to get a couple of freebies from Lidl, they usually put a sign up saying two items only.
I was speaking to one of the staff about this and they told me that the sighns keep disapearing as well..........

Sandra_B
29-Mar-07, 12:43
Maybe they really were in need? Maybe they borrowed the car to do their shopping? Maybe they give the food to pensioners or people on the dole? Are you really that bothered about food that's almost out of date?

Solus
29-Mar-07, 13:51
That about sums it up Sandra, every one was quick to jump on the band wagon and not think " what if "

So its out going out of date, so its free, is it really that big a issue.

KILTIECAULDBUM
29-Mar-07, 14:20
Maybe they really were in need? Maybe they borrowed the car to do their shopping? Maybe they give the food to pensioners or people on the dole? Are you really that bothered about food that's almost out of date?

That about sums it up Sandra, every one was quick to jump on the band wagon and not think " what if "

So its out going out of date, so its free, is it really that big a issue.

I don't think the general issue behind this thread was about what the actual items were, but more about the way the people were going about taking the items & about their ignorance & attitude to other people!! The title of the thread after all was about greedy people, not "who took all the free out of date stuff" lol.
Even if you are right in one of your "what ifs" & they were indeed acting on behalf of some good cause, would it still not be the done thing to leave something, in case there was someone else behind them wanting some of the items for their "what if"? :confused

Solus
29-Mar-07, 15:14
If the person who started this thread felt so strongly about it why did he not mention to the person at the time!

To me its not worth getting worked up about,

The_man_from_del_monte
29-Mar-07, 17:12
If the person who started this thread felt so strongly about it why did he not mention to the person at the time!

To me its not worth getting worked up about,

I'm not getting worked up at all man, was just pointing out that there are some right greedy people going about that think of nobody else but themselves. "me me me, I want" no consideration for others at all, as I mentioned in my OP this goes on quite a lot and give these people an inch and they do end up taking a mile.

Just an observation that I thought I'd share, I'm certainly not getting worked up over it :cool:

Bloo
29-Mar-07, 17:48
Sounds a bit funny. Go get all that food! Its probably an exception for them because they spent all their money on a new discovery. "we have no money"
"take what you need" says shopkeeper.

Cinders392
29-Mar-07, 19:19
God thats nothing, you get the ones who follow the reducers around, or take the stickers off some products and put in on others that arent out of date. Having worked in supermarkets alot you see it all. I would have been that in shock if I had seen it. They should have a sign saying max 2 items per customer!

danc1ngwitch
29-Mar-07, 19:45
They're ignorant.......and should be pitied.

They were obviously at the back of the queue when good manners were handed out.........and they're free as well. lol

no they need to be treated as they treat others. Thats the language they understand.
People like that always feel like they are hard done by, they never get enough, ah me i would have looked at the person/s concerned and [lol]

danc1ngwitch
29-Mar-07, 19:48
alot of people on the dole wouldna gee themsels a red face over it.
by sounds they have a descovery landrover.. nope sheer greed and they would disgust most people on the dole:eek:

The_man_from_del_monte
30-Mar-07, 02:17
They should have a sign saying max 2 items per customer!

They should have a "greedy pig" alarm that sounds off when these people exit the building followed by a trap door that they fall down with a collector that conveys all the free pies back up to the shop..... then the greedy pigs are shunted onto a conveyor belt where they firstly go through the mechanical "slap on the face" mechanism followed by the tar and feather dispenser finally to be booted out of the door by the "get your sorry greedy butt out of here loser" mechanism which ejects them 400 feet into mid air.

That would make them think twice ;)

Dusty
30-Mar-07, 07:54
Same mentality at the "Eat all you want" buffets, plates piled high and absolutely no possibility of it all being eaten.
The kids are allowed to do the same.
It's just pure waste for the sake of greed.
"your eyes are bigger than your belly" my Mother used to say.

neepnipper
30-Mar-07, 08:51
I'm sure they usually have a ' 2 items per customer' up, they probably didn't get a chance to put it out, I think the cashier should of said something, I would of, greedy so and so's.

Lavenderblue2
30-Mar-07, 17:53

He-he!

You are right Mareng, names do stick. This reminds me of years and years ago when my two used to go to the Sunday school at the Scrabster Mission. There was a family of children, who at tea time, would greedily grab all of the biscuits - they were known as the ‘biscuit snatchers’ for evermore.