PDA

View Full Version : Public transport advice please

keithw
24-Nov-14, 16:44
Hello all

I'm taking a week's break in the area early in the new year, staying in Berriedale. I don't really want to hire a car if I can help it, so I'm just wondering how reliable the buses are. I'm planning to head up by train, then use the X99 to get around, and the odd taxi when needed.

Does the X99 get busy, is it best to book tickets in advance or is it okay to pay the driver? And is it pretty reliable?

Thanks for any advice!

Keith

gleeber
24-Nov-14, 20:32
The X99 is pretty reliable and I've never seen it more than half full at Berriedale. If your travelling up from Inverness better to book.

Fran
25-Nov-14, 19:04
Quite a few buses from wick to berriedale. If your over 55 you can get return train for £15 in scotland

2little2late
25-Nov-14, 20:38
Quite a few buses from wick to berriedale. If your over 55 you can get return train for £15 in scotland

One can no longer get a £15.00 return for over 55's. The deal has now finished. Also, you have more of a chance of a steam train getting you around than you are First Scotrail. The service is totally unreliable.

alistair harper
26-Nov-14, 15:01
all x99 go past beridale but more chance getting to dunbeath then short taxi home check stagecoach .com for mor info

keithw
26-Nov-14, 21:51
Many thanks all. I think I'll get the sleeper up then a X99 from Inverness straight to Berriedale, seems easier than getting a train to Helmsdale then a bus.