PDA

View Full Version : Driving with fog lights on!!!!!!

Stig
23-Nov-14, 08:14
For all the half wits who drive with fog lights on in good visibility. Highway Code Rule 236 said:You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]It doesn't make you look cool or add 30bhp to your car. Its illegal!!!

sids
23-Nov-14, 10:35
They'll soon stop it now, once they read all that.

gerry4
23-Nov-14, 12:11
My beef is not fog lights, it those who drive with no lights in fog & bad conditions. There are others who drive with only side lights. Why side lights for goodness sake! if you turn lights on turn on your dipped lights.

Manufactures should make it impossible to drive with side/parking lights on. I had a Fiat where you had to put the key in a certain position for the side lights to be turned on.

Side/parking lights does not make you visible in bad light or fog.

Kodiak
23-Nov-14, 12:52
My beef is not fog lights, it those who drive with no lights in fog & bad conditions. There are others who drive with only side lights. Why side lights for goodness sake! if you turn lights on turn on your dipped lights.

Manufactures should make it impossible to drive with side/parking lights on. I had a Fiat where you had to put the key in a certain position for the side lights to be turned on.

Side/parking lights does not make you visible in bad light or fog.

This is why I love my Renault Scenic.................Automatic Lights that switch themselves on, You never have to worry as they go straight to Dipped Lights. That along with Automatic Wipers, Electronic Handbrake, TomTom etc etc, makes it a great car to drive. :D

Kevin Milkins
23-Nov-14, 13:18
On the strength of this post I checked out my van, (which I have had for about five years) to see if it had fog lights on the back:confused, and it did:Razz.
I also eventually found the switch that turns them on, and they work:Razz.
Thanks for the heads up, Stig, I am now looking forward to the next time it's fogy.

rose123
25-Nov-14, 16:57
you will no doubt be out with your little pad and pen Stig !!!!! beware all you half wits your time is near LOL ( bless him )

rose123
25-Nov-14, 17:04
you will be out with your wee pad and pen next Stig !!! beware all you half wits your time is near LOL ( bless him !!! )

2little2late
25-Nov-14, 20:50
For all the half wits who drive with fog lights on in good visibility. Highway Code Rule 236 said:You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]It doesn't make you look cool or add 30bhp to your car. Its illegal!!!

I remember posting a similar thread a few years back and was berated for it. I think it's about time the police stopped these idiots and booked them.

Mik.M.
26-Nov-14, 15:13
The Police are far too busy solving real crimes to be messing about with this sort of thing,plus that would mean they`d have to get out of their cars and do some work. ;)

Stig
26-Nov-14, 20:37
http://www.swiftcover.com/about/press/fog-lights/

vectus
01-Dec-14, 16:09
Its not just fog lights, its ignoring the red lights at road works (specially in Lybster)

Alrock
01-Dec-14, 16:41
Its not just fog lights, its ignoring the red lights at road works (specially in Lybster)

I was once informed that you are legally allowed to ignore temporary traffic lights providing that it is safe to do so...

Not sure if this is true or not so have never actually done it myself, maybe someone here could enlighten me on whether my source of said information was talking "testicles" or not.

linnie612
01-Dec-14, 18:46
This was on a RAC blog....the Highway Code is clear that you have a legal obligation to obey temporary traffic lights. As the code says in section 109:Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals (download ‘Light signals controlling traffic’ (PDF, 82KB)) and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs (download ‘Traffic signs’ (PDF, 486KB).A look at the road casualty figures show that traffic lights – or rather broken ones – can kill. In 2012, 39 people were died or were seriously injured in accidents where automatic signals were out or defective. Another 190 people were killed or seriously injured at roadwork sites.

Neil Howie
01-Dec-14, 22:33
#linnie612

having traced the RAC blog article (http://racfoundation.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/seeing-red-at-temporary-traffic-lights/#comments)to have a look at the stats, I read the comments section. I thought the second comment was worth a copy & paste! On the dilemma of whether to wait at a red light or assume that it is faulty and go anyway:

Artie LeBlanc -

Many years ago my brother was faced with this dilemma during his driving test. He asked the examiner’s view, and was told that he had to decide for himself. After await, he drove through (the light was indeed out of order) – and was failed, for driving through a red light.

focusRS
06-Dec-14, 11:46
A Police Focus Estate overtook me in Wick on Thursday, turned on its blue lights and pulled over a fiesta in front of me that had it's fog lights on. The boys in blue must have read this thread.

sids
06-Dec-14, 12:37
A Police Focus Estate overtook me in Wick on Thursday, turned on its blue lights and pulled over a fiesta in front of me that had it's fog lights on. The boys in blue must have read this thread.

Or it was on the database as uninsured.

Gronnuck
06-Dec-14, 14:36
Driving with or without the appropriate lights is what we've come to expect hereabouts, along with not using indicators, abandoning the vehicle outside Castletown Post Office, using the mobile phone on the move, reading the papers and eating the morning toast. I've even seen someone using an electric razor while driving on the A836, her husband in the back didn't appear amused.

Shaggy
06-Dec-14, 15:06
Driving with or without the appropriate lights is what we've come to expect hereabouts, along with not using indicators, abandoning the vehicle outside Castletown Post Office, using the mobile phone on the move, reading the papers and eating the morning toast. I've even seen someone using an electric razor while driving on the A836, her husband in the back didn't appear amused.

you forgot the blatant ignoring of the RED traffic lights, especially on Wick High st/Bridge st too where drivers either park at the traffic lights or just dont care if the lights are at red or the green man is showing on the crossing but they still try to drive through and moan/beep their horn at pedestrians when they cross the road on the green man. About time the coppers showed some force round here, might make for a more peaceful and less dangerous living up here.

focusRS
06-Dec-14, 20:36
Or it was on the database as uninsured.I can't be 100% sure but I will stick my neck on the line and say that a 63 plate car is insured.

sids
06-Dec-14, 21:27
I can't be 100% sure but I will stick my neck on the line and say that a 63 plate car is insured.

I had a 63 Hilman Imp.

focusRS
06-Dec-14, 22:38
I had a 63 Hilman Imp.A guy I work with used to be 63. Spooky.

sids
07-Dec-14, 11:27
A guy I work with used to be 63. Spooky.

He should retire and make room for a young guy with foglights on his Corsa.

focusRS
08-Dec-14, 00:08
He should retire and make room for a young guy with foglights on his Corsa.Nah he is that dottled he runs about with his fog lights and main beam on all the time. Puts corsa-boy to shame.

weeker2014
08-Dec-14, 01:38
I can't be 100% sure but I will stick my neck on the line and say that a 63 plate car is insured.To be fair it could have been pulled for any motoring offence, no seat belt, mobile use, observed elsewhere driving erratically. Its a bit of a stretch saying it was because of fog lights. My work mercs front fog lights were automatic with headlights as are many new cars. They dip and go to main beam the same as headlights so perfectly legal. I suggest if some are having issues with fog lights it may be worth a trip to optician as i have to wear glasses when driving for the very reason of lighta dazzling me, fog lights or not!

focusRS
08-Dec-14, 20:02
To be fair it could have been pulled for any motoring offence, no seat belt, mobile use, observed elsewhere driving erratically. Its a bit of a stretch saying it was because of fog lights. My work mercs front fog lights were automatic with headlights as are many new cars. They dip and go to main beam the same as headlights so perfectly legal. I suggest if some are having issues with fog lights it may be worth a trip to optician as i have to wear glasses when driving for the very reason of lighta dazzling me, fog lights or not!Fiesta fog lights still require to be turned on manually, unfortunately they are not quite as advanced as a work merc.

weeker2014
09-Dec-14, 21:20
Fiesta fog lights still require to be turned on manually, unfortunately they are not quite as advanced as a work merc.Poor show from Ford :(

sam09
15-Dec-14, 13:41
Just as bad is, people who fail to check that all their vehicle lights are operational. i.e. one headlight working, one tail light working or only one brake light working and people sitting stopped at traffic lights or road junctions with their foot on the brake pedal blinding the driver behind them with the glare of the brake lights.

Even Chance
15-Dec-14, 13:50
The lights that come on themselves are not fog lights, they are driving lights, or running lights. Theres a difference in the way the optics work for the spread of the light between driving lamps and fog lamps.
Saw a few neeps again today with the snow on the road, dazzling the keich out of me with their fog lamps (aye I have glasses that are the correct prescription (for me to be able to see correctly;)) for you pedants).
Folk that use fog lights in non-fog situations are driving illegally and are dazzling other road users, simple as that, no ifs, no buts, no keich.
Doesnt half do ma heid in. Feckin neeps need to read the highway code again.

sids
15-Dec-14, 14:51
I have glasses that are the correct prescription for you pedants.

Get ones that are correct for you.

Even Chance
15-Dec-14, 16:21
Get ones that are correct for you.

lol, got me...keich! Have amended my mistake. My use, or rather abuse of the language is legendry. Proper Weeker styleee.

Gronnuck
15-Dec-14, 17:30
The lights that come on themselves are not fog lights, they are driving lights, or running lights. Theres a difference in the way the optics work for the spread of the light between driving lamps and fog lamps.
Saw a few neeps again today with the snow on the road, dazzling the keich out of me with their fog lamps (aye I have glasses that are the correct prescription (for me to be able to see correctly;)) for you pedants).
Folk that use fog lights in non-fog situations are driving illegally and are dazzling other road users, simple as that, no ifs, no buts, no keich.
Doesnt half do ma heid in. Feckin neeps need to read the highway code again.

Oh let's not get technical Even Chance; a lot of people hereabouts are too busy texting or speaking on their phone to be worried about what lights they're showing. There are even some who show no lights at all 'cos it uses up electrikery, besides they prefer their cloak of invisibility. Driving in the far north is at least an adventure!

olrig
15-Dec-14, 22:09
I can't be 100% sure but I will stick my neck on the line and say that a 63 plate car is insured.
A 63 plate car can still be used on a road without Insurance, ie car being on SORN, or being used by a disqualified driver (who legally cannot be insured under The Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 103(1)(b).

sids
15-Dec-14, 22:42
A 63 plate car can still be used on a road without Insurance, ie car being on SORN, or being used by a disqualified driver (who legally cannot be insured under The Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 103(1)(b).

Am I reading the wrong 103(1)(b)?

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, while disqualified for holding or obtaining a licence, he—

(a)obtains a licence, or

(b)drives a motor vehicle on a road

Doesn't mention insurance.

weeker2014
15-Dec-14, 23:54

SORN makes no odds, it just makes a difference to road tax. All vehicles should be insured but it doesn't mean they are, regardless of the age. You don't get a letter through the door saying your vehicle has no insurance, you are simply just a neep who deserves to be caught.

Also plenty of people drive others cars without the appropriate insurance whether they are disqualified or not. This is especially prevalent amongst young drivers are they are generally not covered under their insurance 3rd party on any vehicle if they are under 21, even if they are fully comp on their own car (Yes I know a few insurers do cover it). Plenty of "can I have a wee shotty of your car" going about.

Even Chance
16-Dec-14, 10:04
Oh let's not get technical Even Chance; a lot of people hereabouts are too busy texting or speaking on their phone to be worried about what lights they're showing. There are even some who show no lights at all 'cos it uses up electrikery, besides they prefer their cloak of invisibility. Driving in the far north is at least an adventure!

Aye so true right enough. Phones clapped til e lug whilst driving are another thing that totally drives me nuts. No need for it.

abz02
16-Dec-14, 19:14
Got to admire all the google experts on here, you meet probably 2 out of 10 cars with they're fog lights on, one 63 plate car gets stopped by police and he/she or it is an uninsured , banned outright criminal.
Maybe he/she or it was in Africa on holiday and has Ebola !!!