PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any cures for morning sickness...

justine
27-Mar-07, 13:39
Hi. well strange as it is, i have never had to suffer with morning sickness in my previous pregnancies, but i am having trouble keeping the contents of my stomach in place...The smell or sight of food is making me violently ill:( ....Has anyone any good ideas that will help me to get some relief..:confused ..Cheers...

Jospra
27-Mar-07, 13:41
Don't get pregnant? ;) Eat food that doesn't smell?

rs 2k
27-Mar-07, 13:42
Hi there

It is not a nice thing , i know

But what helped me was a bit of dried toast 1st thing or a dry biscuit like a rich tea

might not work with everyone, but worth a try

Good luck

Lindsay

justine
27-Mar-07, 13:45
Don't get pregnant? ;) Eat food that doesn't smell?

Haha...bit late though to be telling me not to get pregnant....:lol:

the nomad
27-Mar-07, 14:05
Drink more beer, mind you that will only work if you are not pregnant.

:confused

Toast if I remember is good.:D

Angela
27-Mar-07, 14:06
I had severe morning sickness every time. All sorts of smells (not just food, hyacinths were the worst thing) made me nauseous.
I found, like Lindsay, a little unbuttered toast or a plain biscuit first thing, before you even get out of bed, helped. And try not to get up too quickly :roll:
Do you feel sick all the time justine, or is it only in the morning?....bad enough I know :(

justine
27-Mar-07, 14:07
Drink more beer, mind you that will only work if you are not pregnant.

:confused

Toast if I remember is good.:D

I dont drink when i am not pregnant......but it would be a sure way to bring up the contents even faster...

justine
27-Mar-07, 14:10
I had severe morning sickness every time. All sorts of smells (not just food, hyacinths were the worst thing) made me nauseous.
I found, like Lindsay, a little unbuttered toast or a plain biscuit first thing, before you even get out of bed, helped. And try not to get up too quickly :roll:
Do you feel sick all the time justine, or is it only in the morning?....bad enough I know :(

It is ever lasting....I start felling sick around 9.30 am, i seem to start heating up and thats it, im off....I will still be feeling sick late into the evening....I start to feel better about 10 ish..Its making days seem very long...

Angela
27-Mar-07, 14:14
It is ever lasting....I start felling sick around 9.30 am, i seem to start heating up and thats it, im off....I will still be feeling sick late into the evening....I start to feel better about 10 ish..Its making days seem very long...

That's not too good for you either. Do make sure you're getting plenty of fluids at least...and try a rich tea or a cream cracker :confused

Deary me, I must sound like your mother :eek:

bobsgirl
27-Mar-07, 14:18
Ginger Nuts biscuits are good for any kind of sickness feeling. Whether your pregnant or not or even it is good for travel sickness. I have tried this method myself and it worked for me!!
Hope you get through the sickness stage fast though, not very nice!!

Lavenderblue2
27-Mar-07, 14:22
One thing, which is very good, is the use of travel bands - my daughter swore by these.

The other thing is ginger.

Ginger is an excellent natural anti sickness aid - try a ginger biscuit before you even get out of bed and also sip some good quality ginger tea.

I do hope that this helps you Justine.

LB

Great minds Bobsgirl..........you were quicker off the mark than me!!

justine
27-Mar-07, 14:23
That's not too good for you either. Do make sure you're getting plenty of fluids at least...and try a rich tea or a cream cracker :confused

Deary me, I must sound like your mother :eek:
please dont bring my mother into this, i was having a bad enough day to start off with, and believe me my mothers advice would be to shove my fingers down my throat and be done with it...NOT A MATERNAL WOMAN.

I am trying to keep fresh orange down but it not working to well...Its just making it hard to keep focust on the daily chores i have with the other kids..BUt i know it will probably end soon(I hope).Its makes me wonder why i am suffering now and never before....I have afeeling it may be a boy....
Has any one out there had a boy and a girl and found that they threw up with one more than the other....

lin
27-Mar-07, 14:25
Justine, my daughter has used previously in her last pregnancy, flat lemonade and ginger nuts. This made her feel slighly better.

poppett
27-Mar-07, 14:33
Ginger nuts or anything with ginger in for any kind of sickness or nausea. My Granny swore by stem ginger, and recently I found stem ginger cookies, they are a little bit softer than the ginger nuts, so easier to eat. Hope the sickness passes soon Justine.x

Angela
27-Mar-07, 14:33
please dont bring my mother into this, i was having a bad enough day to start off with, and believe me my mothers advice would be to shove my fingers down my throat and be done with it...NOT A MATERNAL WOMAN.
Has any one out there had a boy and a girl and found that they threw up with one more than the other....

Oops, sorry! My mum wasn't too maternal either, :( I sympathise.
I was much more sick with my son than with my daughters....
And Lin's post has just reminded me, flat coke helped a bit (not very wholesome in itself maybe, but better then throwing up) :), as did lucozade.
I wish I'd known about these ginger nuts....

justine
27-Mar-07, 14:38
Oops, sorry! My mum wasn't too maternal either, :( I sympathise.
I was much more sick with my son than with my daughters....
And Lin's post has just reminded me, flat coke helped a bit (not very wholesome in itself maybe, but better then throwing up) :), as did lucozade.
I wish I'd known about these ginger nuts....

There seems to be alot said for gingernuts...

no need to appologise, i just wish she was as maternal as i am,would have made for better days......Friends i can choose, parents im stuck with......

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 14:45
Anyone got any cures for morning sickness

I'm no expert but couldn't you try waking up in the afternoon? That way you bypass morning altogether :confused:

justine
27-Mar-07, 14:54
[quote=The_man_from_del_monte;205802][/b]

I'm no expert but couldn't you try waking up in the afternoon? That way you bypass morning altogether :confused:[/quote

If you would like to lend your hands into getting all the others ready for school, then i would love to take the mornings off...:lol:

Kaishowing
27-Mar-07, 14:57
Like what's already been said, ginger nut buscuits seemed to work for my wife for a while, as did a slice of dry toast or some rice crackers.
She also found that the smell of most drinks put her off as well, so she ended up (during the hughie period) drinking mostly diluted lime cordial, or lemonade.
Best ask your midwife about any herbal teas that are safe (some aren't!), but it'll come down to how you personally feel. No rules really.
Wait until the cravings kick in!! My aunt woke up in the middle of the night eating coal when she was pregnant....so it could be worse![lol]

justine
27-Mar-07, 15:01
i have had cravings in the past luckily nothing as strange as coal,but at least i will be able to eat.....Looks like i am going out for gingernuts...

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 15:04
If you would like to lend your hands into getting all the others ready for school, then i would love to take the mornings off...:lol:

erm... I'll pass on that one, thanks all the same, I've got enough of a job dragging my own self out of bed in the mornings.... :eek:

justine
27-Mar-07, 15:11
erm... I'll pass on that one, thanks all the same, I've got enough of a job dragging my own self out of bed in the mornings.... :eek:

got plenty of little ones who would help drag you out of bed....One thing about kids, they are persistent...:lol:

Angela
27-Mar-07, 15:16
Wait until the cravings kick in!! My aunt woke up in the middle of the night eating coal when she was pregnant....so it could be worse![lol]

I just had to have OXTAIL SOUP....yeuch...[disgust] I've no idea how I knew I had to have it, since I'd never touched it before!

The_man_from_del_monte
27-Mar-07, 15:18
got plenty of little ones who would help drag you out of bed....One thing about kids, they are persistent...

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/smilies/shock.gif erm..... I'll stick to the birds whistling and the sound of distant lawnmowers to alert me to the fact a new day has begun.... I like a gentle awakening http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/smilies/whistling2.gif

<goes and hides under the duvet>

justine
27-Mar-07, 15:20
dont we all...would give the lawnmowers a miss though....like the sound of gentle bird song, all we get are the dolcit tones of GULLS......

justine
27-Mar-07, 15:22
I just had to have OXTAIL SOUP....yeuch...[disgust] I've no idea how I knew I had to have it, since I'd never touched it before!

the one craving that got me was one i had for toffee crisps...I aint them all through the pregnancy, and i have never touched one since...I took two into the delivery room for substanance, ate 1 and i never bothered with the other..Strange how we loose them as soon as baby is out, or maybe not..Have some girls carried on with the craving after birth....:D

brandy
27-Mar-07, 15:25
def. the ginger biscuits.. i had horrible sickness with all three of mine.
couldnt keep water down!
something about ginger helped!
chewing gum seemed to help me as well for some reason.. also really helps after youve been sick to get that horrible taste out of your mouth!
the best thing is to eat little and often... just a nibble here and there.. and i know this sounds totally gross.. but any one that has had morning sickness will agree.. eat things that are not as bad coming up!
spag bol is horrible coming up as is popcorn..
if your like me, and sick 24/7 i started eating things not by what i could keep down but what would be easiest coming up!
but i was an extreme case.. they had to give me med. to keep water down when i was preg with ben.

LRM
27-Mar-07, 15:52
I knew one poor girl who was still vomiting while in labour but stopped once she had the baby...(you probably did not want to hear that)...

©Amethyst
27-Mar-07, 15:56
I found this about the effects of ginger in pregnant women suffering from morning sickness - http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/ginger-morning-sickness.html

Don't know if it's useful or anything but it's there for ya.

justine
27-Mar-07, 15:58
I knew one poor girl who was still vomiting while in labour but stopped once she had the baby...(you probably did not want to hear that)...

yep:lol: could have done without that one....:eek:

Liz
27-Mar-07, 18:07
Sorry to hear you're suffering from this Justine. Must be horrible!:(

I have read that eating a dry biscuit first thing before you even get out of bed helps and also the acupressure bands you get for travel sickness.

Hope you get some relief soon. Well you will in a few months time!!!!:lol:

Julia
27-Mar-07, 19:12
I mostly just felt sick during my last pregnancy but near the end I was throwing up every day, it's no fun stopping the car every few minutes to throw up in the road especially when I was driving, my partner even had to change his brand of deoderant during the pregnancy - just the thought of him reaching for the can would start me off.

I'll go with the majority on this thread and recommend ginger biscuits, better still with tea.

marlyn
27-Mar-07, 19:41
Hi there, I felt sick as a dog with both my pregnancies and they were both girls - supposedly the sicker you feel the more stable your pregnancy is (i have had 2 miscarriages and never felt ill for a minute during the time I was pregnant, but was rough as anything with the 2 that 'stuck') so it is a good sign.

I found the seabands that you wear on the wrist were quite a good help and lucozade too.

Good luck, hope it does not last for too long.

justine
27-Mar-07, 19:46
Hi there..well its not something that i would normaly get and i have all girls bar the one boy,set of twins,i felt sick but was never sick..Thisis so different it like being pregnant for the first time....

maidencaithness
27-Mar-07, 20:29
I got lollipops when I was pregnant they were called preggie pops and were in different flavours peppermint,ginger etc all entirely natural they did help a little can't remeber where I got them though but i'm sure if you search the internet.

marlyn
27-Mar-07, 20:46
just googled for 'preggie pops' if you look at www.threelollies.com you will get some info on them, they look quite interesting, I wish that I had known about these when I was pregnant, I would definitely given them a try - just remembered that I quite often used to 'sook' on a lolly pop during the second pregnancy, I think that the sugar boost used to help (a little), just remembering about the constant 'all day' sickness is enough to put me off having another one - lol

Jo.b
27-Mar-07, 21:47
I used to eat a bananna before bed at night, as late as you can (if you can stomach it) something to do with a slow enery release in bananna's ! Worked for me anyway. Also my friend found ice cubes great, she just crunched on them most of the day!
But if you feel sick now, just wait for those first nappy changes...errrrr!!!

HomeFixit
27-Mar-07, 21:57
Hi justine,

I had horrible all-day "morning" sickness for the first 16 weeks with both my pregnancies. At the time I didn't really find anything that worked... I hate ginger so that was no-go and the wrist bands just gave me bruises! I just consoled myself that as long as I was feeling ill, at least the pregnancy was sticking and the baby was OK.

Anyway, later in my pregnancy I decided to buy hypnotherapy CDs for relaxation during pregnancy and pain relief during the labour. They were FANTASTIC! And I notice that she does a hypnotherapy CD for morning sickness. Its £16 but would be worth every penny if it works. It will definately be on my shopping list if I ever get pregnant again - you might want to give it a try?

http://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk

Good luck!

mareng
27-Mar-07, 22:04
condoms usually work well.

Last thing she needs when she is feeling queezy - is to try to swallow a couple of those :(

(now I'm feeling a bit queezy :( )

justine
28-Mar-07, 09:26
well i went out last night and i bought some gingernuts...I have not managed to eat any yet but i will give it a go.....But like you said homefixit, as long as i am being so sick then i know that my baby is safe and secure and growing the way it is supposed to...cant wait to hold it in my arms and make it feel as loved as the rest of my little tribe....

justine
28-Mar-07, 13:45
Gave the gingernuts a try this morning, threw up not long after...I can say they did not work with me (not yet anyway):lol: but they did keep the kids amused for a wee bit.....thanks will keep trying...

lar
28-Mar-07, 17:30
sorry to tell u Justine but i was sick right up to 27 weeks, i have stopped now but still feel queezy all the time. Ive tried all the above suggestions and they didnt work, plenty of rest seems to help a bit, however that may be impossible for you with your other children.
Chin up, i just keep thinking itll be worth it in the end.
;)

justine
28-Mar-07, 17:33
hi lar...welcome...you could say i dont get much of a break but then i would not change that......When are you due.?....i know that it is worth it in the end...

lar
28-Mar-07, 17:36
due start of june and cant wait, this is my 1st so very excited.
When u due?

justine
28-Mar-07, 17:38
not until the 9th nov....long way to go...What would you like girl or boy.....i hope you are as proud of your little bundle as much as he/she will be proud of you......my wishes to you both,good luck...

lar
28-Mar-07, 17:40
Ah bless, thanks justine.
I dont mind what sex it is.
Hope your sickness stops soon.
Take care.
;)

the nomad
29-Mar-07, 09:03
I dont drink when i am not pregnant......but it would be a sure way to bring up the contents even faster...

At least it hasn't effected your sense of humour. LOL :lol:

My wife was the same and couldn't stomach certain smells. I remember
had a craving for a red pudding supper one night, I was out in the snow searching for a chippy.

You'll be fine and it will pass the toast did work for my wife but ginger is good also.

Enjoy your pregnancy it's the only time you can eat what you want and have a good excuse!!!:lol:

Valerie Campbell
29-Mar-07, 09:51
Justine, according to a newspaper article I read a few years ago, there is no such thing as morning sickness. It is just an imaginary condition. I have never read such rubbish! Was this male doctor who put forward his theory in a position to say we don't suffer? Luckily I wasn't too bad. I was just put off by smells but I wasn't sick. I have heard weak black tea and dry toast help but I don't know if anything really works. It usually goes away by 12-14 weeks. Although I do know someone who had it throughout the pregnancy...

justine
29-Mar-07, 12:11
according to science the only reason we do suffer from sickness is because we are doing all the work for the baby that the placenta will be doing by week 12...i wish it would hurry up, i cant cook anything the smells are strangely strong, and my poor hubby is doing most of the feeding of the kids...i have not eaten for a couple of days and am feeling very weiry....But hey i dare not maon, as i might just get shouted at.....

justine
29-Mar-07, 12:14
hi nomad, the only time i loose my sence of hmour is during labour when i have some stupid midwife telling me Its ok wont be long, I mean come on i have done this enough times to know when the baby is coming......but thanks anyway...

rockchick
29-Mar-07, 13:27
Hey Justine,

This isn't a cure so much as a preventative, but it worked for me during my three pregnancies.

Avoid anything with caffeine in it...that includes coffee, tea, chocolate, cola drinks, headache remedies...and if you're like me you'll find your morning sickness disappears. I didn't need to do the dry toast or biscuit in the morning as long as I stayed away from tea, coffee or chocolate (the hardest of all to avoid!)

Best of luck!

justine
29-Mar-07, 13:31
hi rock chick, well that really cheared me up.....I am addicted to coffee, coke...Not to keen on the chocolate or tea....I am having a real bad day today, hormones raging and i could cry....Cant stop throwing up and everything hurts,,,but then i suppose you dont want to hear this.....

rockchick
29-Mar-07, 13:35
Sorry you're feeling hormonal - but it DOES come with the territory. Just hang in there!

Well, I could say "better you than me" but that probably isn't what you want to hear at all! I've made absolutely certain I can't have any more kids - three is definitely enough. Bad enough being (almost) 40 - but 40 and pregnant would be more than I can bear!

Well, if you're addicted to coffee and coke, try switching to those fruity herbal teas for a week, instead...some soft drinks don't have caffeine (I think the fizzy lemonade is one - I used to drink rootbeer for the same reasons, but you can't get that here)...you might be surprised at how much difference it makes.

justine
29-Mar-07, 13:42
well dont know if youve heard but this is #9, i have 7 girls and 1 boy, and yes you would think i was used to this, but this is the first time i have had any sickness.....i am 37 and dontmind so much..You are braver than me i could not go for a sterilization,not to have that choise would tear me apart....
i Have started to drink fresh orange but it is more to give me something to throw up....i know it will pass soon enough its just hard work....not complaining just feeling low.....

rockchick
29-Mar-07, 13:58
Yes, I knew that you're on #9...my mother also bore nine kids, so I had the joy of growing up in a large family. I have inherited my mother's level of fertility - you almost just have to look at me to knock me up - and I knew a large family wasn't what I wanted for myself, so I did something about it.

It WAS abit tough at first, but I was having surgery to have my Norplant removed, so took advantage of the general anaesthetic and got them both done at the same time, and it was the best thing I've ever done. No more worrying about contraception is a big relief...I don't have to hold my breath if I'm a couple of days late. and...I can drink tea or coffee (or wine!) whenever I want to! :D

justine
29-Mar-07, 14:00
well if that was what you wanted then you made the best choise for you.....What is it like to grow up in large family...I know the kids say it is fun but i only had one sibling and he is not what iwould call a good brother.....

rockchick
29-Mar-07, 14:19
What is it like to grow up in large family...I know the kids say it is fun but i only had one sibling and he is not what iwould call a good brother.....

Wish I could lie and say it was wonderful...but it wasn't. It was awful. We were very poor, and my parents were unhappy and had no parenting skills and little life skills; kids were spiteful and there was alot of sibling rivalry. No privacy, no respect for each other, and a fair bit of violence. Only one of us lived with our parents past the age of 16 - all the rest of us escaped as soon as we could.

I guess that would be why I decided against a large family for myself, plus the financial implications. I knew that I couldn't support any more financially.

justine
29-Mar-07, 15:02
well what can i say to that...they do fight and argue but then they get on most of the time...I dont think that they will be that quick at leaving, my oldest is 17 this yr and she says she love being here..i may not have the ideal situation for raising so many kids financially,(which i am not going to go into again) but they all are loved so much by myself and their dad.We give them the best we can and it seems to be fine with them.....

I have never bought them the things they want except for birthdays,christmas and the likes....They know why and dont seem to have a problem with it...I know that most kids want what most kids have but i am lucky that they are not greedy or wanting.....They thrive on our love and happiness and i am so glad for that.......

rockchick
29-Mar-07, 18:55
I think if my parents had been happier, or had had the skills to cope with a brood of children, the lack of money wouldn't have been an issue. The things that make you happy don't come from the bank, after all. But, that's not the way it was.

danc1ngwitch
29-Mar-07, 19:51
i had only got morning sickness once an that was enough.
I used to try and relax helped by not dwelling on it, oh an the thought that it does pass lol,,, ride wea it girl ;)

jim112233
29-Mar-07, 20:58
Hiya luv, U poor sod i know how ur feeling i had sickness during my pregnacy all day for the first 5 months. Only thing i found to work was wearing anti -sickness travel bands and eating nutra grain bars(the thought or smell of which now make me fell ill) but it did work. Good luck chick hope it stops soon for ya.

squidge
29-Mar-07, 21:49
Bad enough being (almost) 40 - but 40 and pregnant would be more than I can bear!

Ach i dunno rockchick, 43 and its looking like third time lucky as im safely at 12 weeks and the sickness is bearable ;)

johno
29-Mar-07, 21:56
sorry, the only morning sickness i ever had was called a hangover [lol] :lol:

Angela
29-Mar-07, 22:35
Ach i dunno rockchick, 43 and its looking like third time lucky as im safely at 12 weeks and the sickness is bearable ;)

what good news...congratulations, squidge :D

Moira
30-Mar-07, 00:44
Well done Squidge - BIG Congratulations!

Fran
30-Mar-07, 01:13
for any sickness, coca-cola or ginger beer with a spoonfull of sugar in it to take away the fizz, really does work, especially the ginger.

rockchick
30-Mar-07, 13:06

Congratulations Squidge! Hope it all goes well for you

(and yes, better you than me!)

justine
30-Mar-07, 13:46
hi squidge.just read your post and you have my warmest congratulations.....good luck and well done you....:lol: :Razz

the nomad
30-Mar-07, 15:09
hi nomad, the only time i loose my sence of hmour is during labour when i have some stupid midwife telling me Its ok wont be long, I mean come on i have done this enough times to know when the baby is coming......but thanks anyway...

I have witnesed it first hand its not something men dare comment on and from a bystander point of view OMG!!

Good luck.

BRIE
01-Apr-07, 12:20
i had morning sickness with all my boys but not my daughter. ginger nuts are what helped me too & eating little often as long as I didnt let myself get over hungry it seemed to help. good luck justine I know how wearing it can make you