PDA

View Full Version : Palace of Westminster

sam09
22-Nov-14, 01:12
The Palace of Westminster apparently is crumbling and is is need of repairs in excess of 6 billion pounds and M.P`s and Lords may have to move out for six years to facilitate these repairs.
It has been decided not to reveal the true cost of the repairs and relocation costs until after next years general election.

Scout
22-Nov-14, 09:49
The Palace of Westminster apparently is crumbling and is is need of repairs in excess of 6 billion pounds and M.P`s and Lords may have to move out for six years to facilitate these repairs.
It has been decided not to reveal the true cost of the repairs and relocation costs until after next years general election. I thought cost was this Taxpayers may have to spend more than £3bn to stop Parliament turning into an unusable "ruin", Newsnight understands.

Scout
22-Nov-14, 09:56
I thought cost was this Taxpayers may have to spend more than £3bn to stop Parliament turning into an unusable "ruin", Newsnight understands. I also thought to point out this then we can see that it is not that bad compare to other buildings. An extra £50m will be made available over the next two years towards the £1.6bn project to clean up and shut down the Dounreay nuclear site.

selwyn
22-Nov-14, 12:00
Perhaps if they fumigated the place and got rid of all the parasites the building would last longer

Scout
22-Nov-14, 12:10
Perhaps if they fumigated the place and got rid of all the parasites the building would last longer Well that puts plan for Alex Salmond idea out the window :D

Hoggie
22-Nov-14, 17:02
If those displaced MPs need somewhere to stay while the Palace of Westminster is repaired, I could put them up for a good fee, if they don't mind sharing the breakfast table with the family and a large, muddy dog. I've no space in the front for their debates, so they'll just have to do without, or use one of the warehouses in the harbour.

Rheghead
24-Nov-14, 19:12
It has been decided not to reveal the true cost of the repairs and relocation costs until after next years general election.

It is a false economy to repair when they can rebuild with new materials. The Scottish parliament building was built at a fraction of the cost of that.

tonkatojo
24-Nov-14, 19:21
It is a false economy to repair when they can rebuild with new materials. The Scottish parliament building was built at a fraction of the cost of that.

I wonder how much of the Scottish one will be standing after 240+ years, at a guess not much.

Rheghead
24-Nov-14, 19:46
I wonder how much of the Scottish one will be standing after 240+ years, at a guess not much.

Exactly, just a guess. But then how many of us would want it to last that long when we can have another new one that is still cheaper to build than to repair it. As i said, it is a false economy to repair old buildings.

The problem that the UK government has got is that the palace of westminster is a listed building and it probably merits a repair. But then I question the monetary value of 'heritage'. Why value it?

sids
24-Nov-14, 19:52
The Scottish parliament building was built at a fraction of the cost of that.

Yes, it was an incredible bargain.

Scout
24-Nov-14, 20:43
Exactly, just a guess. But then how many of us would want it to last that long when we can have another new one that is still cheaper to build than to repair it. As i said, it is a false economy to repair old buildings.

The problem that the UK government has got is that the palace of westminster is a listed building and it probably merits a repair. But then I question the monetary value of 'heritage'. Why value it? You are true,in China they pull down old buildings and build new.