PDA

View Full Version : indian takeaway

kev
24-Apr-05, 18:26
what does every1 think of the indian takeaway on the high street of wick they do very good pizzas what do like best and what do u think off the new management.????

Rheghead
24-Apr-05, 22:54
Aren't pizzas Italian?

kev
24-Apr-05, 23:30
shut it

kwbrown111
25-Apr-05, 00:14
your'e a man of 2 words Kev("shut it")see previous post on wick

©Amethyst
25-Apr-05, 10:48
Pizza's are definately not very Indian. Have never eaten out in Wick. Will have to try.

What about other dishes from the Indian? Anyone got any thoughts on them?

00Smee
25-Apr-05, 10:49
Usually I tend to go for a Chicken Jalfrezi or Chicken Madras, they are the bomb! If you like really really hot curries then go for that two, but I find them mild and tried a Vindaloo and it was more to my tastes!

©Amethyst
25-Apr-05, 10:53
Yeah, but do you think that the dishes at that Indian are 'greasy' - I've had foods from the Indian in Thurso and found that the sauces were laced with cooking oil.

00Smee
25-Apr-05, 10:55
They are but meh, it still tastes good, so that's all that matters to me. The Chinese ladle their foods with sunflower oil etc, it's exactly the same!

©Amethyst
25-Apr-05, 10:57
I've worked in a chinese restraunt (and currently do) and I've never noticed their sauces being icky like the Indian's sauces.

I highly recommend the chicken chow mein from charlie chan's :D ('twas my dinner last night... delicious, too)

00Smee
25-Apr-05, 10:58
Yeah, they ain't as crawling with oil as the Indian but I prefer an Indian to a Chinese as the taste is somewhat miles better than that of a Chinese I think, don't get me wrong, Chinese food is lovely as well, I just prefer Indian and feel it's better!

Alananders68
25-Apr-05, 16:49
Never have and never would buy anything from there. I think it is sad that Wick's chippies are disappearing and we have so many foreign places [evil] , people should stand up for their tradition/heritage and boycott these take-aways and give there support to the great british chippie, you can't beat a good old fish supper with lots of salt & vinegar.

The PitStop on Bridge St. is pretty good these days, only complaint would be that the batter is soggy and I prefer crispy batter but other than that it's top notch.

Drutt
25-Apr-05, 16:57
Never have and never would buy anything from there. I think it is sad that Wick's chippies are disappearing and we have so many foreign places [evil] , people should stand up for their tradition/heritage and boycott these take-aways and give there support to the great british chippie, you can't beat a good old fish supper with lots of salt & vinegar.
Market forces, Alananders68. People will buy, people will sell. We eat what we like and people will sell it to us. :)

I'm not quite sure where your attitude's coming from. It's not as though people buying, oh my gosh, 'foreign' food will drive the chip into extinction. It's made from potatoes, not pandas. :roll:

That said, you could term those people who don't frequent chippies ecological warriors who are saving our fish stocks! :D

Rheghead
25-Apr-05, 17:10
I've worked in a chinese restraunt (and currently do) and I've never noticed their sauces being icky like the Indian's sauces.

I highly recommend the chicken chow mein from charlie chan's :D ('twas my dinner last night... delicious, too)

Funny that you mentioned Charlie's chow mein and greasy food cos i have always thought that his chow mein noodles are very greasy. Does he lace them with cooking oil?

katarina
25-Apr-05, 18:51
Pizza's are definately not very Indian. Have never eaten out in Wick. Will have to try.

What about other dishes from the Indian? Anyone got any thoughts on them?

their pizzas are very good every bit as good as genuine italian

Dali
25-Apr-05, 19:07
Alananders68 wrote:
Never have and never would buy anything from there. I think it is sad that Wick's chippies are disappearing and we have so many foreign places , people should stand up for their tradition/heritage and boycott these take-aways and give there support to the great british chippie, you can't beat a good old fish supper with lots of salt & vinegar.

Well maybe if there portions were worth it then people would go there .
£1 for a sweetie bags worth of chips .
I have just come back from down south were i paid 90p for a huge portion of chips.Ii would say atleast 3 of what they sell in wick in size .

Zael
25-Apr-05, 19:43
I think it is sad that Wick's chippies are disappearing and we have so many foreign places
Is it just me or have we actually only lost 1 out of 5 chippys? And on top of the Chinese takeaway that replaced it we have the additional choice of 2 more Chinese takeaways and 2 Indians. The chippy we lost should only ever have been allowed to serve chip-butties in the first place.

katarina
25-Apr-05, 20:18
Yeah, but do you think that the dishes at that Indian are 'greasy' - I've had foods from the Indian in Thurso and found that the sauces were laced with cooking oil.

I thought it was gee they used not oil.

Rheghead
25-Apr-05, 21:00

The PitStop on Bridge St. is pretty good these days, only complaint would be that the batter is soggy and I prefer crispy batter but other than that it's top notch.

There is nothing to stop a Chinese takeaway from making traditional fish suppers. In fact there is a great one in my home town that does excellent fish suppers. Or are you against foreigners from making traditional British food?

Setanta
26-Apr-05, 00:50
They are supposed to use gee now that is so good..yummy :p

Setanta
26-Apr-05, 00:53
[quote="Rheghead"][quote="Alananders68"]Never have and never would buy anything from there. I think it is sad that Wick's chippies are disappearing and we have so many foreign places [evil] , people should stand up for their tradition/heritage and boycott these take-aways and give there support to the great british chippie, you can't beat a good old fish supper with lots of salt & vinegar.

How insular can you get

Alananders68
27-Apr-05, 11:12
We've lost more than 1 :confused

Peachees has gone, the harbour is never open, no chip van anymore, Henrietta is the pits with Houstons not much better so we've got the PitStop on bridge street and that is it, but count the number of foreign places and you quickly see something isn't right. The council should close them down.

frank ward
27-Apr-05, 12:23
I used to run an Indian Restaurant and none of our cooks ever used artificial flavours like the chinese who dollop monosodium glutamate, a flavour enhancer, into far too many dishes.

A basic Indian curry sauce is made by the gallon from onions, water, cooking oil, herbs such as fenugreek, and spices. At least one ladle-full as a base for many currys, this is then simmered down with other spices and meat to produce a rich flavoul. As the Chinese stir-fry most dishes there's will always be less oily.

Both are likely to be less damaging to your health than frequent visits to the chipper.

So which is healthier? Less oil or more MSG? Take your pick, but if you want a 'healthy' meal you should go to neither. A take-away (or eating out) is a luxury, an indulgence, a pleasure to be taken occassionally and not as a life-style.

Flying off in another direction........
we had been in business about two months and decided to remove colourants from all curries.
Many customers went apeshit!! Plenty of phone calls came back:
"My tikka masala should be red, not brown!!"
No amount of explanation was sufficient and eventuallly we restored some red colour.

In my humble opinion Indian remains ahead of Chinese in terms of taste and variety.

Having said that, I love chinese food but have to go to a big city to get real taste and value for money.

©Amethyst
27-Apr-05, 13:50
They are supposed to use gee now that is so good..yummy :p

I still find it as greasy as oil.

As for the noodles, I think that's black bean sauce there...

wicker
27-Apr-05, 14:37
favourite out indian is chicken pakora wae the mint and red onion dip and chicken pathia but saying that they have made it hell of a hot recently which has kinda put me off it cos i hate spicy foods canna handle it at all

chinese is chow meins, chicken chinese style, beef and tomatoe or sweet and sour chicken cantonese style and then have til have a wee side order of crispy curry pancake rolls which r normally free

god made myself hungry wae that list now :roll: