PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Hydro THTC meters

Gronnuck
04-Nov-14, 15:26
What are people's experiences of switching to other energy providers? Has anyone had their 'heating' meter removed and their supply routed through their 'standard' meter.
The current THTC tariff is 18.58p per unit for standard and 9.84p per unit for 'heating'; which is fine if you need a lot of electricity for heating but I no longer do.

celtchicky
04-Nov-14, 18:26
I often switch providers to get the best deal...for me! I find it quite straightforward. In the past ive had a prepayment metre & the new company changed it for free, to a credit one.

cazmanian_minx
04-Nov-14, 19:02
When we looked into it we were told we'd need to get an electrician in to remove the THTC meter and fit a standard one, they thought the cost would be around £90, but that was 6 years ago.

Shaggy
05-Nov-14, 01:28
If you have an Econ7 then call Scottish hydro and they will arrange an engineer to come to your property and change the Econ7 meter for a general domestic one. You will not need an electrician as the extra tails for the Econ7 meter go to your water boiler and heater only so once the tail is disconnected to the heating unit it will no longer work. This is free and you will not have to pay for it. If you don't have an Econ7 meter/setup but a THTC (Total Heat Total Control), most properties in Scotland have this type of set up rather than an Econ7 then you will need an electrician to do some adjustments to your internal wiring and this will cost you. Once this is done, Scottish hydro will arrange to change the THTC meter to a General domestic one. If you are not too sure exactly what type you have then just call Scottish hydro and they will guide you through the steps needed to identify it.

PeterR
20-Jun-16, 16:00
We had THTC removed in 2015 after getting a wood stove. It took 2 months to get the meter changed, an electrician to move the water heater and bedroom convectors onto standard tariff meter (storage heaters cannot be moved and are redundant), and then another 1 month to get the standard tariff moved to new supplier GB Energy. Result: all electricity (including washing machinem tumble dryer, dishwasher, electric shower, computer) now on a rate almost identical to THTC's lower rate.

No help at all to tenants on THTC and often on a card prepayment meter as well, of course, but nevertheless there must be plenty of people like us, for whom this would be worthwhile. Even without solid fuel, a simple wall radiator or oil-filled heater could replace a storage heater.

Serenity
20-Jun-16, 17:20
Did you have to pay out of pocket for all those changes PeterR? I hate this tarrif, I have wood burners so don't use electric heating (uncontrollable storage heaters which are so inefficient they cost a bomb even on the lower rate) and so really begrudge paying the extortionate rate for the vast majority of my electric use. Can't even get cheaper prices by going on a comparison site due to the stupid meters.