PDA

View Full Version : Spice Tandoori

gerry4
31-Oct-14, 22:37
Does anyone know if the Spice Tandoori has had any punishment for being caught twice employing illegal workers?

sids
31-Oct-14, 22:51
I believe the managing director was whipped in front of Woollies and thrown in the river with his pockets stuffed with shore bools.

Or was he fined a fiver? I'm always getting these things wrong.

I don't mind, so long as they have someone (legal or outlaw) in the back shop who can make a decent jalfrezi.

gerry4
31-Oct-14, 22:59
depends on the terms the staff are employed.

Also the restaurant was for sale but not any more. Is it new owners?

Shaggy
01-Nov-14, 11:40
Do you seriously expect these restaurant owners to cough up thousands of pounds in fines? Every time it happens, the business closes, changes hands and reopens "under new ownership". I lived next door to a takeaway for 5 years. In that time it was raided 4 times, "changed hands" 6 or 7 times and i was constantly harassed by the utility & debt company investigators to see if i knew the names of the current and previous owners. It turned out that the building was owned and the business ran by the same man all the time. All he did was put a brother or cousin in to run things. He would rack up utility bills, supplier bills and other expenses then when the "current owner" got caught out, he would "disappear" owing thousands. The business never closed. Their mistake was putting the brother back in who ran the business when it first opened and he was immediatly recognised by one of the suppliers' sons and he promptly called the police. They still evaded justice and the building was sold to another asian guy to reopen as normal. Wouldn't surprise me if they were all related too.

gerry4
02-Nov-14, 12:53
is that not the same as a large number of businesses that go bankrupt, no matter where their family originally come from.

I was speaking specifically about Spice Tandoori

olrig
04-Nov-14, 22:29
I believe that, if it can be proved that an owner did not carry out the relevant background checks re the eligibility (Visas, status, et al) of his workers, & KEEP A RECORD of this, he/she can be fined up to 10,000 pounds per EACH illegal worker found. The onus of proof lies with the restaurant/take away ownwer. Even if it is claimed that the "worker" is helping out for no monetary renumeration, he is deemed to be "working". The fines are imposed by the UK Borderr Agency.

gerry4
04-Nov-14, 22:47
Thanks Olrig, it was these fines I was thinking about. Would of thought they would of been levied now if there were going to be any

sids
04-Nov-14, 23:18
if it can be proved that an owner...

The onus of proof lies with the restaurant/take away ownwer.

Make up your mind.

Kevin Milkins
05-Nov-14, 00:22
The reason that very few of these restaurants that choose to operate outside the law of our land are ever brought to book is because they know the system and know that the UK system is a soft touch.
The establishment know that the cost of ever getting a conviction and payment is far outweighed by the cost of using our legal system to bring them to book. Nod, Nod, Wink, Wink, it's just easier that way.

Shaggy
05-Nov-14, 01:16
There is no UKBA any more, it was disbanded because it couldn't do the job properly and failed in it's basic principles. What people fail to realise is that employers who use illegal labour are cheating the taxpayer, undercutting genuine employers and denying legitimate workers a job. Then there is the question of what else are they cheating on?
A quick google can find no notice of any of the raided premises' owners being fined so that means that either they had suitable proof or the current immigration control crowd are so backed up with paperwork that it might take some time yet before it comes to court.

Meanwhile there is this joke on the Biased Broadcasting Corporation websaite. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23535938

transit
06-Nov-14, 15:02
o
ne word here border control or drone boom out either way