PDA

View Full Version : Unruly smokers

Rheghead
23-Apr-05, 17:51
There are concerns that smokers will become unruly if they are told to stub out come 1st April 2006.

Why the concern? If they are going to get upset about it and throw abuse about non-smoking then they sound like the sort that we don't want in a pub anyway or they sound as if they have already had too much to drink anyway and should not be on the premises. In which case they should go outside, have a fag and calm down.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=428622005

scotsboy
23-Apr-05, 18:00
Whilst I agree with the ban I noticed a strange thing just before Christmas. I was in Glasgow on a Saturday night, everywhere was busy, the pubs were full to overflowing……all apart from one, which was empty, and I mean EMPTY. It was on the cornet of Queen Street Station (can’t remember the name now) and it was a No Smoking pub, it said a Pub with Atmosphere……….how ironic that it was empty.

Tugmistress
23-Apr-05, 20:06
I have voted 'No' I don't agree with the ban, although i DO agree with it where food is concerned.
sorry, just my opinion.

lassieinfife
23-Apr-05, 21:14
I think a total ban will be impossible to enforce,and whilst I hate having cigarette smoke around me when im out I see no reason why a part of any pub etc cant be set aside for smokers and good ventilation installed,tis a matter of consideration for others,which many and I dont say all smokers have failed to observe for many years, [disgust] you rarely see a smoker with the cigarette smoke in their faces but the cigarette being held out to the side in someone elses face.......... I have often asked smokers to hold cigs away from me and have recieved nothing but abuse, [mad] as I have no doubt it has happened to others ,and just incase smokers think that I'm being a bit petty,let me tell you I am a reformed smoker :p

gleeber
23-Apr-05, 23:25
Its a joke!
The biggest killing drug known to mankind and ye canna hev a fag while your drinking it.
Stop mumping, skin up and if all else fails, just love. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Apr-05, 02:50
Why should smokers adere to what the government tells them to do? Lots of smokers tell the government where they're going wrong, but no-one goes round fining them.

Zael
25-Apr-05, 08:41
Bit silly this as the same people who will cause problems when the ban is in place are causing problems now. To suggest that mild mannered smokers will suddenly turn lager lout is a bit daft.

Years ago, I worked in a food shop and obviously smoking was not allowed. Still, the number of people we had to put out of the shop as they refused to put their fag out was astounding. However, none of these people were sober and a good few of them were arrested and charged with breach of the peace. The same will happen in the pubs, probably only more so due to the fact they are more likely to be drunk.

My better half and I plan to have quit long before the ban comes into play.

brandy
25-Apr-05, 09:04
my main complaint with smoking in places where you eat.. ie.. wetherspoons is the smoking area is in the front.. the other day we went in for something to eat.. now i have two children 2 and 8 mnths .. and the oldest has asthma.. to get to the family area we had to go thru a wall of smoke.. it seems as if all the smokers decided to sit around the doors and entrance area.. theres no smoking at the bar .. but where everyone has to walk thru to get to their seats is a smoke screen at times?
now im strongly for the ban in resturaunts and places they serve food.. exspecially places that are family friendly.. hmm is it very family friendly when you have to take your children thru a wall of smoke to get to the non smoking? just dosent seem logical to me

john278
25-Apr-05, 09:41
i have started a fight in a restaurant when a smoker lit a cigar up when me and my family had just begun our meal.
the arrogance of smokers really galls me sometimes, shoot them and put them out of their deluded feeling of coolness and long term misery.
flicking ash in plant pots, on the carpet and basically any receptical they feel is suited is disgusting and unhygienic. how many times have i heard from a smoker when they have flicked ash onto a carpet that "it's good for the carpet"!
i have never smoked and never will, why because too many members of my family have been smokers and died of cancer, and before anybody thinks otherwise any of the rest of us who are still around DO NOt SMOKE.
Your gonna die anyway is another one, yes but i would like to die without coughing my lungs out or on a machine applying pain killing drugs. i've seen it happen to family and i don't want to see it happen again.

STAND UP NON-SMOKERS, DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THEIR FEEBLE EXCUSES
BAN SMOKING NOW
ANYONE ABUSING THIS LAW SHOULD BE SHOT!

Donnie
25-Apr-05, 10:32
I haven't seen one single valid point as to why the ban should not be put in place.

00Smee
25-Apr-05, 10:37
Exactly, my thoughts as well Donnie, I'm all for banning smokers!

DrSzin
25-Apr-05, 10:57
I think a total ban will be impossible to enforce [...]
Why? I was in quite a few pubs in Dublin last summer, and I didn't see a single person smoking. I hadn't been to Dublin for years before that, but I would say that Dublin pubs were much smokier than Scottish ones were at that time.

smee
25-Apr-05, 11:05
I spoke to a number of publicans in Dublin on the smoking subject and they said that due to the age and construction of most of the pubs it would be impossible to put in the required extractors and a ban was enevitable, I also wondered if the no smoking ban in Ireland applied to most of the peat fires in the little old pubs where you could smoke herring.

Smee2
25-Apr-05, 11:08
Quite agree with banning smoking in pubs that serve food and I'm a smoker! But what always gets me is these holier than thou remarks by non-smokers who think that their opinion is the only one that matters. Smokers are not all unfelling thugs, who drink too much and will start a fight in an empty bar.

The Health and Safety Laws have gone mad just think they are now looking at stopping loud music and noices in pubs and clubs as it is affecting the hearing of the bar staff.

brandy
25-Apr-05, 12:55
*giggle* wellll wetherspoons dosent have bands or loud music.. and dosent seem to stop the peeps coming in! but as a former bar tender i agree tis not the best thing in the world having loud music blaring in your ears day in and day out

Smee2
25-Apr-05, 13:36
As a former Bar Manager, etertainment is what the public like and it brings in more people, which means more profit and that is what all publicans and pub chains want.

As for wetherspoons not playing music I was in there the other weekend and can you imagine my surprise when a music channel was displayed on their TV screens and sound system. Has anybody else witnessed this phenomenon?

Alananders68
25-Apr-05, 17:01
STAND UP NON-SMOKERS, DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THEIR FEEBLE EXCUSES
BAN SMOKING NOW
ANYONE ABUSING THIS LAW SHOULD BE SHOT!

Well said John, smokers don't care about anyone and are just evil scum.

Somebody mentioned drink, but atleast with drinking you are only harming yourself (unless you're stupid enough to drive afterwards :eek: ), whereas with smoking smokers are harming everyone around them without care, passive smoking is actually more harmful than smoking.

Zael
25-Apr-05, 19:55
Well said John, smokers don't care about anyone and are just evil scum.
Not all of us smoke in public places especially those marked as non-smoking. Also many smokers live with other smokers so who else are they harming there. I want to stop smoking but dont really understand the evil scum description, I feel that when I was young I was foolish enough start, not understanding the risk, saying I could stop any time I liked etc but to be told now I'm older, that I'm evil scum, not very nice at all.

Take it from me, I wish I'd never started, but I did not start because of some dislike for society and its inhabitants, nor did I ridicule non-smokers for being just that. It seems strange that a great deal of the time, people who want to stop smoking can only get any help or sympathy from those who have managed to stop as apart from them no-one else has an understanding of how difficult it is to stop whilst at the same time, how horrible it can be being a smoker.

Perhaps you should grow up a little before you make such sweeping comments in the future.

weeboyagee
25-Apr-05, 20:03
I agree with the ban in public places where non-smokers and smokers alike have to frequent. BUT - what about having a choice with pubs? Let the landlord decide if it is to be a smoking or non-smoking pub. If you want to smoke - go to the smoking pub - if you don't want to smoke - go to the non-smoking pub. I'm a non-smoker and all my mates smoke - so I will be in the smoking pub by choice :eyes !!!! This whole ban thing though is a cost issue for the government - nothing to do with the health and well-being for the public - if we don't die because of smoking and drinking - it will be because of taxing!!! :roll:

Daemonblade
25-Apr-05, 22:53
all apart from one, which was empty, and I mean EMPTY. It was on the cornet of Queen Street Station (can’t remember the name now) and it was a No Smoking pub, .

Surely that will change when all pubs become non-smoking? I doubt that smokers are all going to be come recluses.