PDA

View Full Version : Town or country

Ojibwa
24-Mar-07, 21:31
Just wondering how many of you orgers live in a town/city, and how many lie in the country.
We are house hunting just now and are considering a move out to the country, think it will be great for our boys.

Whats your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of both town and country living ?

Have a good weekend everyone :)

Alice in Blunderland
24-Mar-07, 22:01
Lived in the country until three years ago when due to the size of the family we bought a house in the town. It was a great house right in the centre of Wick close to everything but the kids never settled . We have sold up and are now building in the country and the kids couldnt be happier. I see them after school then they are out cycling, walking ,playing,generally being kids no problems I love it.

cuddlepop
24-Mar-07, 22:11
The only problem with country living is when your kids are teenagers and want a lift into town ..Lived in the country till the kids were in high school and then moved into Portree.Not really the town but its our big place.;)
Petrol is so expensive now.

Wish
24-Mar-07, 22:43
We are having the same dilemma atm, my girls are 8 and 11 and we came to Skye from a large town of 50,000 population. Its always been my dream to live in the country and keep chickens and I would like to start breeding alpaccas:cool: But now we are in the most gorgeous place were you are never too far from the countryside really, even in the town! I see how isolated living in the country can be, i'm really not sure I can do it! Although one part of me does, but maybe only in the summer (lol)

Will be watching this post with interest.

Jackie where did you live before Portree?

HomeFixit
24-Mar-07, 22:50
Is a tricky one... I love being able to walk everywhere so it would be great to be in town, but its nice to be out in the countryside too. We plumped for village life in the end and we're not regretting it so far! Then again Castletown has the best array of services you could imagine - not many villages can boast their own Chinese takeaway and top-class butchers, not to mention the corner shop, chippie, post office, health centre (with pharmacy)... and all a short walk away from Castlehill harbour and the gorgeous Dunnet bay. Who could ask for more?

Then again, we bought our house from a family who were moving out because their teenagers were in Thurso so often they could have set up their own taxi service! The rural bus service is rubbish at the weekend and that's a pity.

henry20
25-Mar-07, 04:37
Me, I live in town. I lived in the country from when I was born until I was 21 and doubt I'll ever do it again!!

As a kid, there weren't many others my age in the area - and my sisters were a lot older. I really didn't enjoy it and I've vowed that if/when I have kids, I'd never let them grow up in the country. I felt it a very isolated childhood. Again, unless your parents are willing to ferry you about, it is very restricting.

Thats just my opinion though. I can see the benefits of country upbringing - it just wasn't me.

lasher
25-Mar-07, 05:05
I was brought up in e country, lived in city for 9 years, moved back 2 country, never ever do it again,once a neep always a neep. it saved my life being brought up in e country, only place ye REALLY learn 2 drive!!

Tristan
25-Mar-07, 13:58
Lived in a city most of my life, and I must say I enjoy town life up in Caithness. You are in a town but minutes away from the country - it is a nice balance.

percy toboggan
25-Mar-07, 14:19
Living on the edge of a city of one and a half million, anywhere in Caithness would represent country living to me almost. I would love to live in a remote spot. Of course there will be difficulties. As one gets older - medical clinic attendance etc. In City's though - especially English ones people do not really live. They exist, and rub along cheek by jowel with folk they'd much rather avoid given the chance.
I have never really enjoyed the city. Save for a brief period c. 1970 when I was a disco/night club customer briefly. I met me missus on the third visit so that largely put the mockers on that. I'm glad really ( it wor ten bob just to gerrin!). There's nowt for me in the city centre now, not these last thirty odd years either. I'll be well out of it given half a chance.

cuddlepop
25-Mar-07, 17:17
Wish ,just now the weather's gorgeous but as we both know it could be pouring all next week:lol: and there's not alot to do when its wet.
When I got married in85 ,we settled in Uig as thats where xhubby was from.
Hated the isolation.Even here its too quiet,thats why i love Caithness your never far away from a "big town"

Foxy
25-Mar-07, 18:17
I was brought up in the country on a farm and couldn't imagine a better place to have lived for the first 21 years of my life, we were a mile from the nearest village which had a shop, post office and a pub. When i left there it was to move in with my now husband and have had 18 good years living in another part of the caithness countryside, working alongside hubby on our farm, so i would say country everytime for me. :)

peedie
25-Mar-07, 18:20
i lived in caithness in the country all my life then moved to aberdeen last year...i hate it!!!! i want home!! and it is genuinely because i dont like the town i'm not just homesick, sooo busy, to many people, will be moving back ASAP!!!!!!

poppett
25-Mar-07, 18:30
I came to Thurso when I was five and couldn`t wait to get to the big "city" (Inverness) when I was 18. Apart from some years in Leith (Edinburgh) which I hated because of the lonliness I am now happy to have come home, despite the fact it was to nurse my parents and husband all in one place to save commuting and feeling guilty about whoever I wasn`t with at the time.
Caithness is the place to be. Where else would a complete stranger take in a parcel for you and offer to do it again should the need arise?

crashbandicoot1979
25-Mar-07, 21:21
I lived in Thurso until I was 17, then Stirling for 4 years before moving back to Thurso. I found Stirling a bit too big to be honest - I like Thurso because, as someone mentioned earler, you're in town but only a few minutes from the countryside. I like walking as much as I can so I like being in the town as its just a few minutes walk from wherever I want to go, plus a mere 10 minute walk from my work, which is great! I love being in the countryside but don't think I could live there.

sweetpea
25-Mar-07, 21:30
I lived in Inverness until I was 20 or so but could never go back it's grown too much now! But I like a trip to Glasgow and places to get my fix now and then.
'm a country girl through and through. Wouldn't have it any other way. For the first 8 years up here I wasn't driving so that was a bit of a bind.

The_man_from_del_monte
25-Mar-07, 23:11
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I lived slap bang in the centre of London for years and loved every minute of it, never spoilt for choice when it came to entertainment... and don't believe all the stuff about nobody talking to you in London, if you live there you soon meet people specially if you get out and about.... good points about cities? Variety of entertainment on tap 24/7/365, all flavours of cuisine from around the globe, get anything you want when you want it... the "buzz" of city life is great if you make the most of it. Disadvantages? Nowadays way too much traffic, way too much crime and extremely expensive to live there.

Countryside is great but no way would I want to be 18 - 30 and live in the countryside.... spend your youth in the cities having a good time and when you're past your sell by date head out to pasture and sniff the roses. I love living up here but would have hated it when I was younger.... I could never sit down and was always on the go seeing new bands, doing the clubs, meeting the opposite sex etc. etc. and green grass and hills would have been my idea of hell. Different kettle of fish these days and I love being secluded, love hearing the birds sing and love being able to dance around a tree nekked should I so desire without someone eyeballing me..... yup, countryside is great if you're past your sell by date.... if you're in your prime then hang out with the funky cats, there's more "choice" in the cities ;)

_Ju_
25-Mar-07, 23:32
Home is neither here nor there. Home is where I hang my hat.;)

I have lived in European capitals and in villages so remote they did not even have a corner shop. I cannot tell which I prefer just on the basis of them being cities/towns or country. I can tell you the places I miss living in because of the caracter, the people, the light, the smells, the beauty, etc. I miss Lisbon terribly. It is a beautiful place when you get to know it's secrets and there is nothing like the killer heat of a Lisbon summer (surviving it is an art form).

When I leave Caithness I know I will miss it profoundly as well. I still find the views breath taking and we are so privledged to be surrounded by such beauty. Sometimes I feel that people born here, living in the town, become somehow immune to it and see little of value in their county.

PS: when I go to Inverness now, I start feeling suffocated by the swarms of people pressing to close into my personal space..... I don't think living in a place like Lisbon is going to be quite the same ever again

airdlass
26-Mar-07, 09:56
Like many others I couldn't wait to get away from the village I was brought up in for the bright lights of the city - now I look forward to the day I will be able to move back there.

golach
26-Mar-07, 10:19
Was born in Thurso, lived the early part of my life on farms in Caithness and then in Perthshire, at the age of 16 started sailing the 7 seas popping home to the farm life for a few weeks a year. Then met Mrs G whilst in Leith, married and settled down to married life in Sunny Leith.
Here I have the things I did not have in the country, buses, shops, cinemas, swimming pools, pubs, restaurants, take aways etc. etc.
I have no regrets leaving the country, I still enjoy the odd visit to the owld county

watman
27-Mar-07, 00:53
I was brought up in the town then moved to a small village just outside Wick and hated it. Everyone needs to know your business and what they dont know they make up. People have nothing better to do than nose into your life. Have now thankfully left and am in a big town down south, absolutely love not having nosey parkers gossiping all around me.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Mar-07, 05:15
Livin' down south made a city boy outta me.

Errogie
27-Mar-07, 11:15
I sympathise with every one who has ever provided a taxi service for their country kids to get to the clubs and entertainments in a local town, been there and done that for quite a number of years.
However the plus side is that you know exactly where your kids are and they can't just dodge the homework and slip out to join a group of their mates possibly getting up to no good.

Always thought it was lot easier for someone from a country background to understand and move to an urban environment than the other way around.

I've noticed that there are quite a few country people usually at either end of the age spectrum who want to hit the bright lights or get next to the hospital and an almost equal number from suburbia who want to quit the rat race and find an excuse to buy a four by four that they don't really need and have even less idea of how to drive!