PDA

View Full Version : Low Flying Experiences

Errogie
23-Mar-07, 22:14
Yesterday several jets went screaming down Loch Ness slightly below me. I was on the bank about 200 feet above the water's surface so there was no way they were keeping to the 250 feet minimum height we're told they should be following.

And then I remembered the day when I was having a cast for trout below the bridge over the Sleach where it enters Loch More the headwaters of the Thurso when this jet came screaming over from directly behind just as I lifted the flies from the water. I got such a fright that I ducked plus it was so low that you could smell the hot parrafin smell from the exhaust and for a moment there was a sort of whispering from air currents until it went still again.

But the biggest shock was when I checked the three fly cast and discovered that the tail fly, a particularly nice Peter Ross was no longer attached to the nylon. Probably just as well that it did give way as it could have put a severe strain on the rest of the tackle.

I can also remember our kids at toddler age being really terrified by low flying jets particularly when the noise explodes upon you unexpectedly. Is anyone else particularly bothered by low flying or had similar experiences?

Victoria
23-Mar-07, 22:24
I must admit that I do find them a bit scary but I think thats the association with war and bombs rather than the noise!!

sweetpea
23-Mar-07, 22:26
Errogie, I used to frequent Dores when I was growing up and remember a beautiful summer night sitting on the beach looking down the loch and a jet went screaming over my head and right down the middle of it, I swear I could have waved to they guys in the cockpit, I saw them they were so close.

Tugmistress
23-Mar-07, 23:02
Back in 2000 i was on holiday using a caley cruiser on the caledonian canal, we were on the way back and travelling through one of the lochs (not ness though think it was Lochy). I wa steering and all of a sudden a hercules (?) came over us at low altitude from behind, oh boy was that a shock, my heart eventually settled after a good ten minutes.

poppett
23-Mar-07, 23:05
In the 1980`s the RAF used to play hide and seek....sorry search and rescue....in the Daviot quarry and surrounding area. The noise within the quarry was worse than the weekly Friday blasts which were just as terrifying. Frightening though it may be their practice could save lives.

Kenn
24-Mar-07, 00:38
We were driving from Altnaharra to Lairg on a beautiful day, just taking our time and enjoying the wonderful sceenery. Appart from The District Nurse we had not seen any one for about 20 minutes.
We were on a rise towards a forrested area when hubby says. "There's some idiot coming up behind us very fast !" He pulled over into a passing place expecting a 4 X 4 or some thing similar to go rushing by.
With that the trees bowed and waved, the car rocked and a nameless member of the RAF did a victory roll right over the top of us!
To this day we both swear that if he had had the cockpit open, we could have shaken hands with him.

Now why is it when you think you have found the quietest place on earth The RAF will arrive just to prove you wrong?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-Mar-07, 02:11
A low flying experience is when ye can actually see the pilot in the plane stickin the vickies up at ye.Its a skill in itself.:lol:

Metalattakk
24-Mar-07, 04:19
LOL!

I keep getting recurring nightmares about low-flying 'planes crashing into Thurso Railway Station - right through the roof they go - I've been having these dreams for years now. I'm quite used to them now, actually!

All my life though, every time I hear a jet fly over, or near, my whole body stiffens. Well, most of it stiffens ;).

I can't explain the reasons for these dreams though, but I do clearly remember as a child waving at a low-flying jet over Thurso moors, and the pilot waving back.

brandy
24-Mar-07, 09:50
i just bet they get a good laugh out of it though!
notice how everyone says they come up behind you? *laughs* they are flying low anywy ..so why not scare the crud out of as many peeps as they can *laughs* i think most pilots are cheeky by nature!

Geo
24-Mar-07, 11:33
But the biggest shock was when I checked the three fly cast and discovered that the tail fly, a particularly nice Peter Ross was no longer attached to the nylon. Probably just as well that it did give way as it could have put a severe strain on the rest of the tackle.

I've heard about the one that got away many times but that's really stretching it! :)

lin
24-Mar-07, 11:38
When travelling to Wick past Loch Ness many years ago, a low flying jet was literally flying right above us when we were in the caravanette! My father was driving, my mother got such a fright that she grabbed my dad. My dad swerved and there was nearly a collision! :confused

Talk about scaring the life out of me!

squidge
24-Mar-07, 12:45
I was once in a phone box at Sanna Bay on the west coast - a beautiful and peaceful place. Before the days of mobile phones i was phoning my mother in law. A jet flew over the top of the phone box so low that i ducked and screamed - my mum in law thought i had been murdered.

Solus
24-Mar-07, 13:01
Reminds me of a story i heard once about a farmer who grew increasingly fustrated with the low flying lads and decided to paint in big letters on one of his barn roofs

"Piss off biggles"

Unfortunatly this just made them fly past more ! :D as did any of the visiting Forces during excersises !!

jimbews
24-Mar-07, 15:39
Yesterday several jets went screaming down Loch Ness slightly below me. I was on the bank about 200 feet above the water's surface so there was no way they were keeping to the 250 feet minimum height we're told they should be following.

Must have been early 1960's when I was cycling near Tain.
There's a place at Fearn where the railway line goes across an embankment over the water.
Saw a group of jets (Buccaneers?), presumably heading for the Tain bombing range.
They had to pull up to pass over the telephone poles along the railway line!

JimBews

Ricco
24-Mar-07, 19:54
There was one occasion back in the 60's when I was climbing up at Holborn Head and a Buccaneer went by very close and lower than me that I could look down into the cockpit at the pilot and navigator. (probably out checking that I was OK - sorry to drag you guys out) :eek: