PDA

View Full Version : Debit/Credit Card Fraud

Tugmistress
22-Apr-05, 16:15
In this day and age I thought every business and or person would be out to help eliminate this? i have just cleared out my wallet of receipts :eyes and to my horror found that 3 places i have been to and paid for stuff via card have printed the full card number on the receipt!.... what is to stop someone picking up thrown away receipts to obtain your number?

EDDIE
22-Apr-05, 17:03
Yes but they also need your start and expiry date of your card to commit fraud buy internet or phone but its not any more unsecure than giving you card details over the phone or by using your card over the internet.
The only thing you could do is get your card updated to chip and pin.And if you are unlucky and someone gets hold of your details and commits fraud with your card its credit card company has to foot the bill not you.The only time you have to pay as if you let someone use ure card or you give out the details.
What a lot people dont realise is criminals are starting to steal your rubbish bags out of your house bins to obtain information to commit fraud or steal someones identity and to be quite honest in this day and age you should be shredding up all your details before putting it in a bin a shredder now a days is about £30 well worth the money saves a lot of hasstle

George Brims
22-Apr-05, 17:08
Sometimes the "Merchant copy" has most of the number replaced by XXXX and only the last 4 digits shown, but not always - obviously when they're printed together rather than one after the other they have to be the same. I always check for that now and put a line through the numbers when I'm signing. With my debit card I can reconcile the pile of receipts in my wallet with what goes through, but I don't get that service with credit cards. Interestingly, a couple of times lately I have found that the amount I've ben charged for a restaurant meal is the exact bill, not the amount with the tip I added on (the slip always has a space for writing in the tip in restaurants over here).

Zael
23-Apr-05, 10:08
Yes but they also need your start and expiry date of your card to commit fraud
Not true, all someone has to do is ring round a few shops with the card number and try out a few combinations of expiry dates. It doesnt take a genius to work out a suitable set of dates as a card can only be valid for a few years and the dates are encoded into the full number anyway. There are several programs/scripts available to do this on the net. A variation is used to quickly validate your card number when you are shopping online before the order is processed.

gravedigga
23-Apr-05, 12:12
You're more or less giving instructions on how to do it Zael, lol

You tried it yersell?? [lol]

EDDIE
23-Apr-05, 12:45
Hi zael but what about at the back of the card were your signiture there is security number.And then if that person trys buying goods over the phone and gives an address that doesnt match up with the card holders address and postcode what then.And if someone does commit fraud thats the credit card companys fault not the card holder providing the card holder hasnt carelessly given out his details.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Apr-05, 02:55
Why not put your monies into a building society EasySaver account, and give up your credit cards and current accounts? Or stuff all your money underneath the mattress.

Zael
25-Apr-05, 08:52
Eddie, what makes you think everyone will ask you for that number?

A programme on TV last week (?) showed that basically none of the security measures in place prevent fraudsters from using stolen cards, from cloning to simple brass neck they curcumvented every bit of security that is available now, including chip n pin.

Some spokesperson from the CC companies stated that chip n pin would only be effective once it had reached every place you could buy with your card. Not very reassuring.

Smee2
25-Apr-05, 14:48
Saw that programme smee-self, how scary was that! Carrying only cash from now on at least if smee gets robbed they'll only get that.

jjc
25-Apr-05, 22:16
what is to stop someone picking up thrown away receipts to obtain your number?
Not throwing them away? Maybe it's just me, but I consider myself to be a fairly integral part of eliminating fraud on my credit card… and, as such, don’t carelessly throw my receipts away. :roll:

Kenn
25-Apr-05, 22:31
As a business owner I would point out that under the new chip and pin then any fraud perpetrated is covered by the card issuer but with a signature fraud the vendor has to suffer the loss.
I will not give any details but in the last year we have had several unsucessful frauds attempted on mail order but because we have followed the rules on one occasion we even allerted the bank before the person knew that his wallet had been stolen.
I would say to any one using a card always keep the receipt and check with your statement each month and where possible use a terminal that asks you to confirm the amount being spent as well as asking for your pin.
Make sure all your cards are protected it doesn't cost much to ensure piece of mind.
To any traders who do detect attempted fraud keep all details possible and notify your service provider, the police and Trading Standards Fruad department.
An honest trader will do everything to protect their customers as well as them selves.

Tugmistress
25-Apr-05, 23:22
jjc,
i did say i was clearing my wallet of my receipts.... personally i don't throw them away until i have everything balanced up, but there are people out there who do unfortunately. i was surprised to find my whole card number and thought that had been abolished years ago :(

George Brims
26-Apr-05, 00:14
I recently read a story online of a guy who caught a credit card fraud by doing his own detective work. The thief was staying in a motel nearby and had also bought pizza with the card, both within a few miles of the victim's house. The pizza store manager was able to remember the thief since he was a frequent customer, and pointed out the motel nearby where the guy was staying. The motel management were able to tell him the guy had signed in under a different name than the one on the card, and that he was in his room at that moment. The victim called the cops and the bad guy was arrested, carrying a bunch of stolen cards.

tam
26-Apr-05, 00:17
here's another wee tip gang
watch what you do with your bank & credit card statements
you would be surprised what happens to your rubbish
shredding is best
:evil :evil :evil
hth tam :Razz